Is this normal to happen to my tires in rain? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Is this normal to happen to my tires in rain?

This only happens when it's raining our the roads are still damp-

When I take off from a stoplight, or even from my parking lot at school, my back tires skid. Say I'm taking off to make a left turn, it'll still be skidding through some of the turn.

I said something about this on a reply to on of my last threads. If it makes a difference, my ABS is out, and my traction control doesn't come on. There's no light on the dash saying my traction is off, but nothing happens when I press the button.

Anybody know what this could be?

I'm taking it to my me mechanic Monday to check out the breaks to see if I need new break pads ( I want to make sure it's break pads that I need) would he be able to tell if something's not right when he goes to look at that? He's looking at it for free since my stepdad spends so much money with him lol.
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need new tires or you're dumping the clutch
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My tired do that too. How wide are you running them? I have 245's and the tires are pretty worn out and it spins on wet roads
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylaar10 View Post
This only happens when it's raining our the roads are still damp-

When I take off from a stoplight, or even from my parking lot at school, my back tires skid. Say I'm taking off to make a left turn, it'll still be skidding through some of the turn.

I said something about this on a reply to on of my last threads. If it makes a difference, my ABS is out, and my traction control doesn't come on. There's no light on the dash saying my traction is off, but nothing happens when I press the button.

Anybody know what this could be?

I'm taking it to my me mechanic Monday to check out the breaks to see if I need new break pads ( I want to make sure it's break pads that I need) would he be able to tell if something's not right when he goes to look at that? He's looking at it for free since my stepdad spends so much money with him lol.
Yep mine do it all the time. It means your tires need replaced cause they are drying out.
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I agree with all these guys. Sounds like your back tires are pretty much junk. I have the same problem in the rain and mine are pretty bald and a little dry rotted
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Lol its a rear wheel drive car. Mine does the same. Takes a second to get traction when the tires are cold.
brooksyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

meh, mines a 1995 so I'm use to not having traction control and ABS. You probably just need new tires, I only rotated my rear tires so when I bought new tires the front ones had plenty of life left, and the rears were bald.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Mines an 04 v6, new tires, rotated on schedule, no TC and it still does that on wet roads. its part of having a rear wheel drive car, you just gotta be a little easier getting into the throttle when it's wet

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

there's this intersection i always had to go through on my way to school, if it was raining and I even slightly tapped the gas my, tires would spin and i'd start to roll backwards... I had to let it idle it's self forward a little bit. It would of probably been harder if I had a manual.
I got new tires now though, so maybe I wouldn't roll back lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
Mines an 04 v6, new tires, rotated on schedule, no TC and it still does that on wet roads. its part of having a rear wheel drive car, you just gotta be a little easier getting into the throttle when it's wet
+1. I agree
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Its actually easier with manual my v6 2004 did that too tho when ever it rained I just had to let off the throttle
Jorge Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
It takes a lot less to do it in our sixxers than you would think (when wet at least) because, while we don't have a lot of power, every bit of power we do have goes to that one wheel.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It will switch to other wheel if it spins to much, i accidentally got my passenger side tire wet at the drags. It spun and spun and then WHAM! It switched to the other wheel slamming me into the seat. lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
its not about good or bad tires, my tires are almost new and still does the same, as some of the guys said its a rear wheel drive car and its normal, but if you have traction control and working it will prevent the tires from doing that, i have a TC in my car but because my ABS is off so the traction is off automatically which will let the tires to spin in the wet roads.
basically you need to fix your ABS to make the TC work again.
Blakhwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Well, I never even knew how to check the tread on my tires before. I finally found out what to look for today, and all of my tires except the rear left tire are pretty bare. I'm thinking that could be a big part of it. Lol
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang