Need Help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Need Help!

When i was 16, i started searching for cars. I originally wanted something that i could dump my wallet into and be proud of it. I've always been surrounded by cars growing up. Always dreamed of having a fast car & slamming though the gears. One day i started to look up imports. (Typically 240's or srt-4's) At the time, i had about $2500 saved and was thinking about throwing all of it down on a car with some help from my parents haha. I've always liked new edge mustangs since i was a kid. A week later on Craig's List, i started looking at mustang gt's. Many were very expensive. One day a 3.8L convertible showed up in my search results. It was a 5-speed & was $3k. So i figured it was cool. I checked out the car & it was in great condition. I wanted to jump on the deal because it was in better condition that i had thought. I didn't really think of it as a v6 though. I figured
"it's a 3.8L, it's not too bad." I ended up purchasing the car. Anyhow, a year down the road (recently), i ended up putting almost $3k worth of parts into it. Parts include: CAI, Magnaflow dual exhaust conversion, short throw, new tires, new shocks/struts & performance brakes/rotors. I started to realize, that this thing is pretty slow. I recently went for a ride in a friends nissan & realized, that thing is quicker than my mustang.
Is there any performance mods that can "wake up" my stang? Note, i pay for insurance & parts. I make about $200 a week & still have to come up with money for insurance. I want my stang to be able to get sideways when i step on the gas.
What would you guys recommend to do? Maybe a tuner? I was thinking posi traction but, i dont want to swap out my rear end. Turbos & expensive upgrades are "out of the picture" here.
I obviously cant afford it. Should i just save for 2 years to buy a new car? I was thinking about stiffening up the suspension. Will strut tower braces help get the car to be able to slide around? I don't want to show off, i just want to have a little fun when im alone in the car. I'm starting to regret that i bought a v6 mustang.
Joey2000srs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Adding a rear sway bar will help tremendously if you want to minimize your understeer and get a little sideways. Adding negative camber to the front wheels will also help turn in, all you need is a set of camber bolts to increase negative camber.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Even if you save a lot, the amount of money you make is your major problem. Buying a mustang is fine but adding aftermarket parts gets EXPENSIVE. Ask how much others have spent on their cars. Some very easily $5,000 or more. Just be happy now that you have a nice clean looking car.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Even if you save a lot, the amount of money you make is your major problem. Buying a mustang is fine but adding aftermarket parts gets EXPENSIVE. Ask how much others have spent on their cars. Some very easily $5,000 or more. Just be happy now that you have a nice clean looking car.
I wish I only had 5k into mine.

I have several thousand into mine not including the cost of the car. And there are more on this site with even more invested into thier sixxer.

My situation is different from yours. My wife and I make enough money for me to toy with the sixxer. I am still looking for a gt/mach 1, but even when I get that I'll still pour money into my 3.8 because it is a hobby, albeit an expensive hobby.

On your income, you have got a very long time to save up to make any substantial improvements. Being a kid is tough, especially with a car. Your income will go up at some point. Just stick with it and save what you can. You can make you v6 fast, but it will cost a few thousand bucks.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I love my V6 but I would trade it for a Mach 1 anyday. I'm like you, 20, going to school, and have bills to pay but I still find money and time to mess around with my sixxer(s). I take it to the track and have fun there, of course I get my butt kicked but I didn't spend several thousands of dollars to make my car street illegal and have to have it towed to race. My suggestion either stick with what you have and have fun or just lay off the modding for a while, save up, and sell your car once you get a better job. I'm going to sell my car later on but I'm still squeezing fun out of it.

Now to the original question. It's pretty expensive but for around 2-3k you can do a 4.2 stroker and swap the upper intake for a windstar intake. You can have a pretty mean V6. Here's a forum member with those two modifications davidcseifert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3599297260.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	118056  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
I love my V6 but I would trade it for a Mach 1 anyday. I'm like you, 20, going to school, and have bills to pay but I still find money and time to mess around with my sixxer(s). I take it to the track and have fun there, of course I get my butt kicked but I didn't spend several thousands of dollars to make my car street illegal and have to have it towed to race. My suggestion either stick with what you have and have fun or just lay off the modding for a while, save up, and sell your car once you get a better job. I'm going to sell my car later on but I'm still squeezing fun out of it.

Now to the original question. It's pretty expensive but for around 2-3k you can do a 4.2 stroker and swap the upper intake for a windstar intake. You can have a pretty mean V6. Here's a forum member with those two modifications davidcseifert
+1PONY POWER
Yea, I know they were originally named after the P-51 fighter plane.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do gears!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the axle swap is pretty easy, I just did mine today. Hardest part was breaking the bolts loose, we also ran into a small problem with the brakes.(this shouldn't of happened though). the 8.8's a stronger rearend and comes with posi stock. Mine squeaks a little right now, don't know why. As long as it doesn't cause any problems I can live with it.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang