Exhaust Upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Exhaust Upgrade

I've been thinking... I'm a little tired of the fact that I spent so much on my Magnaflow exhaust system and it's still quiet!

I've been thinking... what if I run pipes straight from the cats, all the way to the back and end it with bong mufflers on each tip?

Why bong mufflers? Well, they have almost no noise dampening, and plus they're straight thru. Also, if you look at the rear bumper from my body kit, I tried to best fill the cut out areas for exhaust pipes by getting 3.5" dual pipe tips. Maybe with a 4-4.5 inch tip I wouldn't have to worry.

I donno, I'm looking at trying to get a louder exhaust... plus, at the time being, my tips are sticking out a bit too far so maybe with new pipes we can make sure they are cut to length so that it fits just well. The only problem I worry about, which is a serious concern for doing this, is that the bong mufflers might be too wide to fit along the sides of the gas tank. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Oh... and before I get bashed lol, I need to say that I'm by no means looking to sound like a Honda. I'm not looking for the same bong muffler tone of a 4 cil, but a louder exhaust, and I figured that the straight-thru design of those types of mufflers would give me that, since after all, my engine is a lot larger than a Honda's.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Magnaflows are nice mufflers but they are not very loud on V6 cars but they have the best flow. Get some Flowmasters or MAC flowpath for the loudest sound. The thing is flowthru mufflers will never be the loudest because of the sound deadening material they put in them to make them street legal. Flow masters or Flowpath have chambers that amplify sound waves and creat a boomer sound makeing them louder. Hell I might be interested in buying the magnaflows from you

Old 11-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the response. So basically, is the Magnaflow best performance wise because of their flow design? Although because of that design, they are quieter compared to the Flowmasters? How much louder are the Flowmasters compared to the Magnaflows?

And yeah, I'd definately be willing to sell you my mufflers if I ever do swap them. They're both stainless steel
Old 11-25-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

On A v6 much louder, but if you want less drone at Highway speeds get Flowpaths
Old 11-25-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Also unless they just recently started making them Flowmasters don't make Stainless steel, but Mac Flowpaths are available in nice stainless steel ones. I had some on my GT before I went to a 2.5 inch Magnaflow system, which btw sounds much better in my opinion on my GT at least. Quiet at low rpms but when you kick it a bit she will rattle windows in the next block, lol.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So... Flowmasters or MacFlowpath... which one is louder? And also... would the bong muffler idea be louder than a MacFlowpath/Flowmaster?
Old 11-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
there are borla mufflers for sale on ebay. seller has awesome feedback. stainless steel, borla sound
Old 11-26-2003, 08:07 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

He wants loud and borlas on 99+ without engine mods soound like ***. Please for Gods sakes if you really want loud you will bypass Borla's, Magnaflows, Dynomax ultra flow. Go with MAC Flowpath, Flowmaster 1chamber or 40's, glass packs ie cherry bombs or even spintech.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
He wants loud and borlas on 99+ without engine mods soound like ***. Please for Gods sakes if you really want loud you will bypass Borla's, Magnaflows, Dynomax ultra flow. Go with MAC Flowpath, Flowmaster 1chamber or 40's, glass packs ie cherry bombs or even spintech.
Thanks man. Out of the last ones you mentioned "MAC Flowpath, Flowmaster 1chamber or 40's, glass packs ie cherry bombs or even spintech," which will be the loudest?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

glass packs then Flow master 1chamber then Flowpath
Old 11-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard about glasspacks before... do I actually buy a muffler constructed with them or do I have to take it to a shop to have them put in my magnaflows? Can you give me some details please? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42610&item=2445017782

Something like that?
Old 11-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Dont' buy those for sure, if your pipes are 2.5 inches, these fit 2 inch pipe. Besides they say glass packs sound like *** on V6s.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I just got done talking to my stepdad, who helped do the bodykit/exhaust on my car, and he said that we'll just take off the mufflers completely to see how they sound. Anyone done that before? Is it too loud to pass state inspections?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:33 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have never heard a V6 mustang like that, but I have heard of it being done a few times. I heard a 4.2L S10 Chevy truck with just cats and dual straight pipes and it wasn't that loud at all. Mac Flowpaths are the best for sound and don't give you the drone that flowmasters do. Chambered mufflers actually sort of improve and "amplify" the sound some.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I guess it's worth a try, just to see what it ends up coming out like.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Where is Burke Va, I am about 45 Mi South of Danville Va in Burlington, NC?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Burke, VA is in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County). I'm about 15 miles from Washington, D.C.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:37 AM   #20

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I just put on the MAC direct fit cat-back(flowpaths) on my car yesterday while doing the exhaust i did crank it up with just the y pipe, it was loud not really as loud as i expected, I have heard hondas with louder "exhaust"...anyway i am very, very happy with the sound of these mufflers. they are quiet just cruising around(slight rumble) but boy when you step on it it growls, exactly what i was looking for. I highly recommend them.
01mineralgrey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:03 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
get an offroad h pipe ive heard that makes it louder maybe thats not what u lookin for tho
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

IN VA he cannot have a O/R H pipe. Glass packs are loud but they also create a racket under your car that is obnoxious. Do not leave your mufflers off that is just crazy the sound will not be nice. either take you car to a muffler shop and have them take your tailpipes off and have them weld on a dump pie on your muffler or just go get some flowpath mufflers like Rick said and leave the tailpipes alone
Old 01-13-2004, 05:53 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
what about a catted h pipe do those give more sound and are they allowed?
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 01-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

waste of nearly 400 bucks on a stock motor
Old 01-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

wow ur quick lol i posted it like 30 sec ago
Old 01-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

HHAHAHHAHHAHAA
Old 01-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

is it true in a couple years or whatever every state will have emissions tests
Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

yes Billy Bob Clinton and ALGORE signed into law about 6 months before leaving office a sweeping law they limits pollutants and carbons and forces the states to comply with federal laws or no federal money in 2006
Old 01-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

they can suck my balls, i wonder if thers a way to get ahold of bush and tell him to change it, bush is cool
Old 01-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

he prolly would say screw u and throw it away but owell lol
Old 01-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #31
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Quote:
they can suck my balls
Don't know about you, but when forced to choose between a little bit of horsepower and oxygen, I'll take the oxygen. :thumbsup:
Old 01-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

lol the world will be all polluted after i die so im not worried
Old 01-13-2004, 06:14 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

What about the future of your children ??????
Old 01-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

it will get all polluted after them and there kid, so i dont really care about my childrens childrens children because i will neva see them
Old 01-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

isnt all the oil known in the world sposed to be gone by like 2010? there will be no pollution then, just alot of batteries lol or solar power

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust