Thinking about adding a cold air intake? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Thinking about adding a cold air intake?

Well, I want to add some HP to my slug of a 2002 V6 lol. My brother and his friend both have cold air intakes in their cars (one has a cavalier and the other a Dodge Stealth, which is a Mitsubishi 3000GT... the one with the Stealth is so cocky about how his car is so superior to mine. Yeah, right buddy. It's 23 years old, 10 years older than my car, and has 163HP lol). They say that it's better for the engine, because it reduces the amount of heat coming in the engine bay, and apparently adds horsepower.

I've found some online, and they're about $60-$80. I'm thinking about ordering one tonight or tomorrow.

Does this actually add any HP to the car, or does it just improve the amount of heat coming into the engine bay?

And anything else I should want to know about adding a cold air intake? and how hard are they to install?
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
to be honest a CAI is mainly for looks...a drop in high flow filter will do the same thing for your car which is free up 1-2 hp and help with throttle response. now i will say they do look good under your hood, so if you buy one get the cheapest you can find they all work the same. and it's not improving heat in the engine bay. it is just allowing more airflow to take place out of the wheel well from the air dam. as for install it's a 15 minute job check youtube for how to videos.

also on a side note...your friends 3000GT is just as slow as your v6 so no worries. unless its a VR4 model lol (but you'd notice the badge). and the cavalier...i won't even respond to that due to how sad a stock ecotec motor is even comparing it to our 3.8/3.9 motors.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Wow, just wow. Don't worry about their cars. Honestly a CAI won't do much without the proper tune and exhaust to go with it. And even then it's not too noticeable. I have a CAI on both of my stands and quiet honestly I'm getting tired of the look in the engine bay. Pretty soon I'm going to go back to stock air box and drop in a high flow filter like slo. I'm missing the black stock tubing. Another note, I raced a 3000GT at the track the other day. I suck but I still beat him by a second. It's a 1/8th mile and I was way slow off the line

http://youtu.be/6Wy9zXriYQE
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
What sucks is all the Mustang v-8 cold air intakes on AM have specific techniques to improve hp. and tq. You can get 35 hp. and 55 tq. with a tune and the best cold air intake. They did not say jack about the v-6 because it is not good marketable horsepower.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Because average people tend to race V8's more than the base models. I mean who goes around saying "yeah take a look at my V6, got 190 bhp" :p
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
What sucks is all the Mustang v-8 cold air intakes on AM have specific techniques to improve hp. and tq. You can get 35 hp. and 55 tq. with a tune and the best cold air intake. They did not say jack about the v-6 because it is not good marketable horsepower.
i'm sorry but they are the exact same thing...no difference in CAIs but basic tube shape due to mounting locations. and no you will not get that kind of increase with a CAI...believe me i've had both a 4.6 and a 3.9 and both got maybe 2-5 hp at most. you have to remember that when companies produce numbers to sell a product they will use numbers taken from a dyno that's under perfect conditions to provide the best output, and also don't forget dyno's only read as good as the person working on it.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i'm sorry but they are the exact same thing...no difference in CAIs but basic tube shape due to mounting locations. and no you will not get that kind of increase with a CAI...believe me i've had both a 4.6 and a 3.9 and both got maybe 2-5 hp at most. you have to remember that when companies produce numbers to sell a product they will use numbers taken from a dyno that's under perfect conditions to provide the best output, and also don't forget dyno's only read as good as the person working on it.
I forgot about market horsepower. What are the highest results so a product can be sold. I know exactly what you are talking about. I did not think about AM doing this. Make me feel better knowing a v-8 with a could air intake is not going to stomp my cam 6. You made my day, thanks.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
to be honest a CAI is mainly for looks...a drop in high flow filter will do the same thing for your car which is free up 1-2 hp and help with throttle response. now i will say they do look good under your hood, so if you buy one get the cheapest you can find they all work the same. and it's not improving heat in the engine bay. it is just allowing more airflow to take place out of the wheel well from the air dam. as for install it's a 15 minute job check youtube for how to videos.

also on a side note...your friends 3000GT is just as slow as your v6 so no worries. unless its a VR4 model lol (but you'd notice the badge). and the cavalier...i won't even respond to that due to how sad a stock ecotec motor is even comparing it to our 3.8/3.9 motors.
The mid grade model sl has 222 n/a hp but the base is 168 do it could be either one
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
The mid grade model sl has 222 n/a hp but the base is 168 do it could be either one
my friend at my old job had an sl...lets just say stock for stock still not an issue. you have to remember they are low 16 - mid 16 second cars and the base models are even worse

Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

my friend at my old job had an sl...lets just say stock for stock still not an issue. you have to remember they are low 16 - mid 16 second cars and the base models are even worse
Yeah they weigh like 3600lbs lol but I would love a later model vr-4 them and the 300zx tt were ahead of their time
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Yeah they weigh like 3600lbs lol but I would love a later model vr-4 them and the 300zx tt were ahead of their time
yep not bad for a 90's car

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang