How bad is this dent? Worth taking out? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
skylaar10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampton
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
How bad is this dent? Worth taking out?

Well on the way home from Florida (to VA), my Mustang got hit while I was sleeping at a hotel in Georgia. I didn't notice it until I was almost back in VA.

Insurance still has a $500 deductible... should I take it somewhere to get the dent popped? Can a dent like this even be popped out?

I don't know how expensive it would be, either lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	118978   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	118979  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	118980  
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter
 
sixpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylaar10 View Post
Well on the way home from Florida (to VA), my Mustang got hit while I was sleeping at a hotel in Georgia. I didn't notice it until I was almost back in VA.

Insurance still has a $500 deductible... should I take it somewhere to get the dent popped? Can a dent like this even be popped out?

I don't know how expensive it would be, either lol.
That's right ware the inner panel meets the quarter panel.. It's probably a bondo and paint..
__________________
Need more Horsepower? Add a sticker. Contact me for vinyl stickers pre-made and custom!
Stick on Horsepower <- Click Here and like my Page!
2001 GT - True Blue
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
skylaar10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampton
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
That's right ware the inner panel meets the quarter panel.. It's probably a bondo and paint..
Bondo is like a putty right?
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
This is bondo. It's a brand of plastic filler. It's like the Band-Aid of bandages. It's a tricky process that involves sanding and stuff. If its a $500 deductible I say do more damage and have them fix more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1409585757.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	118993  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
skylaar10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampton
Region: Virginia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
This is bondo. It's a brand of plastic filler. It's like the Band-Aid of bandages. It's a tricky process that involves sanding and stuff. If its a $500 deductible I say do more damage and have them fix more

Haha how much is that stuff?
skylaar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylaar10 View Post

Haha how much is that stuff?
Not real expensive labor is what gets you
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Take it to a body shop and see what the quote you if its more than like 7-800 then id have insurance take care of it but if its less than slap some bondo on and sand and prime it and then take it some where and have them paint it. To do bondo its a little tricky but you should be able to handle it. Its usually about a quarter size of hardener to bondo mix well till its all one color and then let it dry a little but not till its hard and shape the bondo with like 80 grit sandpaper and then wait for it to dry ad where needed then go over with 220 and then get some high build primer spray it on kinda thick to fill all air bubbles in the bondo and if there real big bubbles then get some spot putty or mix up a little bondo and repeat previous steps and then you can go over with sand-able primer and go over with 220 and work your way up to like 1000-1500 grit paper and then if you want to see how you did with it get some high gloss spray paint and put a couple coats on and see how well you did and if it is acceptable take it to the body shop and have them match it to the rest of your car
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
mummert_96v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: new oxford
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylaar10 View Post
Well on the way home from Florida (to VA), my Mustang got hit while I was sleeping at a hotel in Georgia. I didn't notice it until I was almost back in VA.

Insurance still has a $500 deductible... should I take it somewhere to get the dent popped? Can a dent like this even be popped out?

I don't know how expensive it would be, either lol.
There's a tool out that can just weld a little like tab on to the spot. Then you put a slide hammer on the tab and just pull the dent out. So if you could find one of them you wouldn't need to use as much bondo
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Lord NoMoney
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,630
leave it, its just character.
__________________
@silverskoundrel
05 TL Mustang Base (the silverskoundrel) - sold
05 TL Mustang GT - sold
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa
Region: Iowa
Posts: 69
I use stuff called kitty hair, it's a fiberglass material but won't crack like bonding can but u need to sand to bare metal then to fill the pin holes mix fiber glass resin and bondi hardener together will dry fast if humid out but just smooth it on fast . Then at least to coats of primer then sand and paint
Iowaboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummert_96v6 View Post

There's a tool out that can just weld a little like tab on to the spot. Then you put a slide hammer on the tab and just pull the dent out. So if you could find one of them you wouldn't need to use as much bondo
I took some body shop classes at my community college. We call it a stinger. You have to grind down the area to bare metal, weld some tabs on there an pull it out, then plastic filler, sand, repeat, paint, etc. couldn't even finish my project it was too time consuming and a large margin of error. Especially where the damage is, that's the worst spot I had to deal with on mine. You have to line it up just right then make the lines even. It's a PITA trust me. I'd rather spare myself a headache pay to get it done. Here's an example of what you have to do. I ended up jut sanding the car down and shooting the whole thing with primer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1407504202.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	571.8 KB
ID:	119032   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2098010126.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	119033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-995186485.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	119034   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3052381301.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	119035  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3822267977.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	119036  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
leave it, its just character.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
mummert_96v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: new oxford
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

I took some body shop classes at my community college. We call it a stinger. You have to grind down the area to bare metal, weld some tabs on there an pull it out, then plastic filler, sand, repeat, paint, etc. couldn't even finish my project it was too time consuming and a large margin of error. Especially where the damage is, that's the worst spot I had to deal with on mine. You have to line it up just right then make the lines even. It's a PITA trust me. I'd rather spare myself a headache pay to get it done. Here's an example of what you have to do. I ended up jut sanding the car down and shooting the whole thing with primer
My cars got a bad dent in it to I slid off the road not long ago bent an axle put a dent in the door and rocker panel. Here's some pics of it. A friend of mine has the stinger so I'm gonna try that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2664280798.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	119039   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2711429641.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	119040  

mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Ouch, that's gonna take some time. And patience, you need a sort of clamp because you need to put studs all along that dent. You can't do one by one because it'll come out uneven. Good luck!
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
mummert_96v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: new oxford
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Ouch, that's gonna take some time. And patience, you need a sort of clamp because you need to put studs all along that dent. You can't do one by one because it'll come out uneven. Good luck!
I'm probably just gonna replace the door and worry about the dent in the rocker
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
They sell a stud welder and slide hammer kit at harbor freight for pretty cheap
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
mummert_96v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: new oxford
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
They sell a stud welder and slide hammer kit at harbor freight for pretty cheap
Yea I checked on it for the stinger tab welder an the slide hammer is only $100 so ill probably buy that. Thanks for the info
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummert_96v6 View Post

Yea I checked on it for the stinger tab welder an the slide hammer is only $100 so ill probably buy that. Thanks for the info
No prob i actually work there. You can get a 20% off coupon and j recommend getting esp on them
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummert_96v6 View Post

Yea I checked on it for the stinger tab welder an the slide hammer is only $100 so ill probably buy that. Thanks for the info
No prob i actually work there. You can get a 20% off coupon and j recommend getting esp on them
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.