What Does Everyone Want to Run By Springtime - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
What Does Everyone Want to Run By Springtime

What is everyone's realistic mod plans over the winter and what do you expect to run come spring when the tracks open back up and the weather is nice.

I have a motor at the machine shop, exhaust in my room and a nitrous kit on order that will all be in by spring.

Just looking to beat my previous best of 13.4 and 14.9

what about you guys?

Please be realistic. Don't mention blowers or turbos if you don't have a dime to your name or could barely install your UD pulley
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
I would be happy with anything below 15.999. I'm hoping to get a lot more practice on getting my 60's down in the low 2's instead of the mid 2's.

If I can get a 60' in about 2.1-2.2... then 15's COULD be possible given the right conditions. I just wanna practice.

Best time... 16.42
Best 60'... 2.45
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
Im Hoping for anything Below a 14.5
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

14s.. lol, the only mods i'll have by then are a typhoon intake manifold and cai.

Garaged:
1990 Ford Mustang GT
5.0L V8
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
ItWouldAppearSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Maybe I should take a trip down to Rockingham or up to Dinwiddie VA and just see what the GT will do in a Quarter when the tracks open up....Might do 13s???
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to v6stanger
itWouldAppearso: I would not personally buy the typhoon intake. Have heard of some quality issues dealing with them. Better to stick with a proven intake like TrickFlow, Edelbrock etc. I have a 5.0 too and am going with the trick flow trach heat upper and lower intake manifolds.

Rick: You better get the car to the 1/4 one of these days. Next thing you know you'll be too old to push the pedals down
v6stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
I should be somewhere in the 12's, which should be easy what I will have on then (new lca's, new slicks, 7psi roots blower) also got 4.10's, 00 stock motor, 35 shot, and some bolt ons.

i'm conservative by nature but i'd sure like to see how deep i can go on a stock motor.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
If I can get a 60' in about 2.1-2.2... then 15's COULD be possible given the right conditions. I just wanna practice.

Best time... 16.42
Best 60'... 2.45
yeah, 15's are probably going to still be a few tenths away even with a 2.1 60'. lower that tire psi and practice, practice, practice and you'll be pretty close. what's your mph and 1/8th et/mph?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
Quote:

Best time... 16.42
Best 60'... 2.45
yeah, 15's are probably going to still be a few tenths away even with a 2.1 60'. lower that tire psi and practice, practice, practice and you'll be pretty close. what's your mph and 1/8th et/mph?
Take a look (I'm #4875):
http://www.asbclan.com/images/rellik/mustang/slips/

The first set was my first time out, the second set, my second...

My 1/8th
10.800 @ 68.2
(Average)
Old 12-02-2003, 10:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

huh, this is wierd... my car stock trapped only a few mph faster than you in the 1/8th... methinks that if you can get that 60' down you will trap more like 65mph in the 1/8th instead of about 67mph and get yourself a lot better 1/4 ET (the better the launch the lower the mph).

what rubber do you have right now, and do you have tlok/lca's, quadshocks, etc.?

i want to run your car and see what would happen with a 2.2... methinks a 10.5@65mph and 16.1-16.2@81-3mph
Old 12-02-2003, 10:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ok i loooked through them all and i must respectfully say that you should try launching all together in a new way. you are consistently getting 2.45-2.6 60's and i think if you messed around with different ways to launch you may find something better. and what is your track prep?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:29 PM   #12
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
im lookin for 14s... i dunno what to expect beyond there. Im thinking by spring ill have converted to a 5 speed b/c my trannys about dead. I dunno whats wrong with it, but we'll see.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:39 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

high 15's...

I hope i can get it with my mods listed below. I want to try to get an 8.8 rear with alum ds before i go tho.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Austin,

If You're ever in So Cal, Let me know and I'll let ya run my car.

But serriously, I take any and all advice I can when it comes to something that I am doing that is new to me. If you want to, you can see/hear the way I'm launching in my media section, as soon as The pages are back up :no: .

I'm still alitle fuzzy as to the physics though... how will trapping a slower speed get me a lower e/t? Wouldnt the e/t be higher if I'm getting there slower? I'm not loosing traction at all on my launches, if that's what you're wondering.

My first time out, I didnt mess with tire pressures at all. I just ran it stock with an eighth of a tank. Now, I drop my rears to about 26 psi. I take out my spare, subwoofer/amp, and I only occasionally take my G/F for the ride.

As to my procedure at the box. I go around the waterbox (which is bull anyway because they just spray down a section of the asphault with water, which then drains onto the other side anyway), I lite up the tires for a second or two to get all the road crap and the water that I tried to avoid off.

I have a feeling I'm dropping the clutch too fast, which may be the problem. But I just cant seem to get that 60 down. But like I said, I just need practice at that. I have yet to "Feel" a good launch on the track . I can get them all the time on the street , but I am probably jsut nervous at the starting line.

The rubber I have now is a generic brand named Road Hugger. They're an all season tire... not the best for racing I'll admit... but like previously stated, I'm not loosing any traction.

I'm not running with a T-Lok, LCA's or anything. The only Suspension upgrade I've put on my car is a rear swaybar. I have a set of UCA's in my room... but I'm told, that without LCA's to go with it... they're pretty much useless. I also have a set of Tubular Subframe connectors that are sitting in my room because I haven't had the $$ to install them (they need to be welded on). I dont know if Subframes will help at all... or hinder because of weight. I do plan on getting an 8.8, and just leaving the 3.27's in there, instead of spending 500+ for a Tlok/gear install on my 7.5.

I just wish that the Multimedia section was back up so you could SEE and HEAR what I'm doing... but like so many other things that are incomplete with the site... I guess that will have to wait

Any info and suggestions would be appreciated
Old 12-03-2003, 11:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Austin,

If You're ever in So Cal, Let me know and I'll let ya run my car.
ha, there might actually be a chance i'll go out there in the summer. either that or reno.

Quote:
I'm still alitle fuzzy as to the physics though... how will trapping a slower speed get me a lower e/t?
the better the launch, the lower the 60' time. that power is being absorbed by the road via the tires. this slows you down but you are in fact moving across the road faster. if you launch bad and spin some the power will still be waiting to be released onto the road. (they would currently be in your tires, spinning). look at people with radials that then go with slicks... their mph drops but their ET's go way down. i used to think that same thing but it's not right it turns out.

Quote:
Wouldnt the e/t be higher if I'm getting there slower?
no, see above.

Quote:
I'm not loosing traction at all on my launches, if that's what you're wondering.
if you aren't losing traction on your launches then you are bogging and not launching high enough. any mustang is capable of decent 60's for a stock car, even v6's.

the tires will work i'm sure and everything else sounds ok. subframes probably won't do a thing, they stiffen some but weigh a little too. what kind of uca's? they can't hurt. go get some lca's when you have some money and put em on.

EDIT - if lca's and the 8.8 are in your near future, do it all at once, it'll save you a lot of time.

Quote:
Any info and suggestions would be appreciated
i'm no track god btw, not even close, i just have learned a few things you might find uselful.

<--doesn't claim jack, except that he got a few good 60's (2.25) stock, luck or no luck!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

I have a feeling I'm just bogging down at the line. I crank it to about 2200, and when the last yellow lights up, I drop the clutch way too fast... I KNOW thats the problem.

The UCA's I beleive are from Maximum Motorsports. They're round tubing and red powdercoated... currently collecting dust under my bed Maybe I'll install them just for the hell of it this weekend. It would give me an excuse not to go out and spend money (seeing how I have a 310 dollar cell phone bill this month!!! ).

What is your cool down procedure while you're at the track? I've tried to hot run the car, and my god, my belt sounds like a goddamn stringed orchestra gone bad!! I think I' need a new belt
Old 12-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Belts don't make different noise that I know of whether your engine has been running a long time or not.

Do a bunch of hot runs and just practice launching maybe?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

../.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 AM   #19

Quote:
What is your cool down procedure while you're at the track?
i normally pop the hood and put a bag of ice on the upper intake manifold.

back to the original topic... i'm trying to get my hands on some stock 99+ upper and lower intakes to do some self p&p work, maybe half shaft a throttle body as well. i'm not sure on the throttle body, because from what i've read, the 99+ throttle bodies flow pretty well. advice on the tb?

i already bought some stock heads, that i'll probably send to rgr to do the do it yourself thing that he's talked about after i get some porting bits and some money. hopefully he still does that. does anybody know?

i also am buying a tranny cooler from a friend of mine, because i said so. :wave:
jefflouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:20 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
Belts don't make different noise that I know of whether your engine has been running a long time or not.

Do a bunch of hot runs and just practice launching maybe?
My belt is fairly old with a ton of miles on it. It's collected a bunch of belt dust which causes it to slip when the engine metals get a little warmer. It also happens on intial cold startup. Next time I start up my car, I'll take an audio clip for ya
Old 12-05-2003, 06:36 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
13.8 or so by springtime. Of course ill be in the srt
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'll be shooting for 13s n/a when I get my next v6 mustang. 94-96.

Redlined Performance Mustangs
Cylinder Head / Intake Porting, Camshafts, Pistons, Cold Airs/Pulleys
www.rpm-mustangs.com

http://rpm-mustangs.com/pictures/KEcrank.jpg
mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
So Mikael what should I be shooting for
Old 12-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #24
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclesFromBrussels
13.8 or so by springtime. Of course ill be in the srt
better be a good driver

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
So Mikael what should I be shooting for
After you get the heads on are you going to put the s/c on immediately?
If so I'm going to say 13s easy

Redlined Performance Mustangs
Cylinder Head / Intake Porting, Camshafts, Pistons, Cold Airs/Pulleys
www.rpm-mustangs.com

http://rpm-mustangs.com/pictures/KEcrank.jpg
mikael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
yes I am having a tech day and hope to have it installed and running in one day
Old 01-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #27

Im shooting for 14's. You guys think I can hit a 14.9 with the mods I already have?
ASP Underdrive Pulley
FR 4.10 rear end gears w/ T-Lok
FR Aluminum Driveshaft
F2 Fordchip
Mustang007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #28

Anybody?
ASP Underdrive Pulley
FR 4.10 rear end gears w/ T-Lok
FR Aluminum Driveshaft
F2 Fordchip
Mustang007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #29
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
I'm shooting for.....car payment. No $$$ to break parts with.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

14.6-7

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
14's with only minor bolt ons(exhaust, intake) then ill do some forged internals before i up the boost, better to be safe then sorry. then its on to a 20g turbo, greddy intercooler, fuel controller(to bypass the dam fuel cut when we go really high boost) a multi stage boost controller.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang007
Im shooting for 14's. You guys think I can hit a 14.9 with the mods I already have?
probably not. with some slicks maybe. good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to 98MustangV6
By next spring i just want to go to the track and see what i can do my 1st time then try and improve.

And try to get some mods on my 98.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
ehh dont boast your 4r70 unless you got a built one. they suck, trust me. ive gone through 2 of them. then i got smart and got a car with a manual. with your listed mods, id expect a 15.5 if youre a good driver. your gears are your best helper there, but the automatic still soaks up more hp than a manual does.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to steph98v6 Send a message via Yahoo to steph98v6
In the SS.....mid to low 13 pretty much stock. But more than likely, I won't even race the car at the track. Won't run the Mustang at the track.

Aim: SLPSSGIRL
steph98v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang