Catless - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Catless

I'm a high school student and for whatever reason going cat less scared me, I really don't know why. I would like whatever info you can give me.
ZangStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
what are you asking exactly
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
As in for inspection? Being to loud?
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
what are you asking exactly
Well I know it's cheaper to run with out cats but isn't it illegal?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
As in for inspection? Being to loud?
Inspection
Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Meant for off road use only but depending on your state you may get away with it
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It is a federal crime to remove cats.

No one will care except your state inspections if applicable.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm in Louisiana, how can I tell if my state will care?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

don't remove the cats. with your v6 you will more than likely loose power due to the back pressure loss. you do t have the motor to back it up. plus it probably will bot sound very good.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

* don't. * not
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
don't remove the cats. with your v6 you will more than likely loose power due to the back pressure loss. you do t have the motor to back it up. plus it probably will bot sound very good.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

* don't. * not
1, no such thing as back pressure. 2, you mainly find people going for sound and looks for a v6, 3, I have my cats off, divorced duals flow master 40s. sounds wicked. I get compliments on it all the time.
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowned1 View Post

1, no such thing as back pressure. 2, you mainly find people going for sound and looks for a v6, 3, I have my cats off, divorced duals flow master 40s. sounds wicked. I get compliments on it all the time.
no such thing as back pressue? i was saying cats of a v6 sounds like a honda. i also have no cats but i have a 5.0.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

no such thing as back pressue? i was saying cats of a v6 sounds like a honda. i also have no cats but i have a 5.0.
in the exhaust system, no. I can assure you my car doesn't sound like a Honda...
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:

The 3.8s actually can sound decent Catless. I've heard them sound as deep as a v8, just won't have the same idle lope to them.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I took cats off my v6. Sound great and no power lose.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

in the exhaust system, no. I can assure you my car doesn't sound like a Honda...
you make no sense. you WILL loose back pressure by deleting the cats. of you do not have the motor to back it up you will have a torque loss. a lot of people take cats off certain cars when it would run better with them. they mistake extra power for sound.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

One of the biggest air restrictions in 3.8 heads is the exhaust. Trust me the heads have enough back pressure without cats. Pypes dyno proved there is almost the same results with or without shorty cats. I have been with and without cats. It sounds more like a 78 F-150 without cats.
Environmentalist do not want you to remove your cats. California does not have enough trees. Nevadans landscape is mainly rocks. You get the point. Why don't motorcycles have cats and farm equipment get special gas. Yea, it illegal to remove cats, and a very small percentage of cops can figure out you do not have them on your cars. Most inspection people assume its a v-8 since most people who inspection do not make you open your hood. I do not hate the environment. I just know my state has plenty of plants.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

I have no cats on my six. Check the exhaust sticky. Mine certainly sounds like no honda I've heard before.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you make no sense. you WILL loose back pressure by deleting the cats. of you do not have the motor to back it up you will have a torque loss. a lot of people take cats off certain cars when it would run better with them. they mistake extra power for sound.
Back pressure is misunderstood by most people. You don't want backpressure, you want to move as much air as quickly as possible. You need the air velocity, which is where people go wrong with to large a diameter piping. They lose the air velocity and assume they lost torque because they decreased "backpressure". Cats are very restrictive, you ever notice you don't see any racing vehicles with cats?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

Back pressure is misunderstood by most people. You don't want backpressure, you want to move as much air as quickly as possible. You need the air velocity, which is where people go wrong with to large a diameter piping. They lose the air velocity and assume they lost torque because they decreased "backpressure". Cats are very restrictive, you ever notice you don't see any racing vehicles with cats?
I'm not going to argue this point anymore. take the cats off your v6 if you want. a basically stock v6 is far from a racing vehicle. i am spraying more nitrous than what the older v6 are making at the tires.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

+1 agreed its the diameter of the piping you epithet keep it stock or 2.5 not any bigger in my opinion although dont get confused with the tips they can be 3 to 4 inches lol it's the pipe not tips so there's no misunderstanding
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Remember we are direct representatives of mustangevolution. I don't want people to think we are ignorant to this subject, so I will explain. Back pressure refers to recycled exhaust emissions. The IRMCs in the lower intake release this gas. When you remove the factory cats this system does not work properly. They also can be turned off with a tune or properly placed piece of metal. Bottom line, shorts and no cats stop the system from working properly.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

I'm not going to argue this point anymore. take the cats off your v6 if you want. a basically stock v6 is far from a racing vehicle. i am spraying more nitrous than what the older v6 are making at the tires.
Watch out we've got a badass over here.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Instead of trying to sound like a V8 why do t you just save up to get one.....I'm just saying
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3365380253.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	119900  
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

Lol
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

just stating the truth.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
Instead of trying to sound like a V8 why do t you just save up to get one.....I'm just saying
thank you
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just stating the truth.
I can't even begin to imagine how cool you feel saying that in a new edge v6 thread...
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just stating the truth.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

thank you
First off I'm a high school student...I get what I get and appreciate it! I do my best to make it look and sound as good as I can get it to. Maybe one day Ill get a v8, but as for now I'm good with what I got!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can't even begin to imagine how cool you feel saying that in a new edge v6 thread...
no bud. i don't care about that. i am 24 i have a wife and 2 little girls. i could care less about looking "cool". he said "race cars with no cats" so i said i am spraying more than the old v6's put out.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mine sounds alright with no cats I guess :/

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZangStang02 View Post

First off I'm a high school student...I get what I get and appreciate it! I do my best to make it look and sound as good as I can get it to. Maybe one day Ill get a v8, but as for now I'm good with what I got!
It's all good bro atleast it's a Stang ya'know...lol I thought about going catless but having second thoughts. Especially if you live in an area that is highly populated you can forget about it. You could drive without a tune, but it's not recommended, but it's your ride your rules....
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

no bud. i don't care about that. i am 24 i have a wife and 2 little girls. i could care less about looking "cool". he said "race cars with no cats" so i said i am spraying more than the old v6's put out.
I don't see how what your spraying has anything to do with running with no cats on a v6. I used race cars as an example. Its a fact that you want more airflow and higher air velocity, and cats are very restrictive.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
Mine sounds alright with no cats I guess :/

Your cammed, that's cheating!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't see how what your spraying has anything to do with running with no cats on a v6. I used race cars as an example. Its a fact that you want more airflow and higher air velocity, and cats are very restrictive.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Your cammed, that's cheating!
a v6 does not need a cat less mod pipe. why would it its not a high performance motor. the 3.7s are a exception. prior to the 3.7's nothing impressive. only a 2010 or earlier v6 would benefit, would be excessive motor work with boost/nitrous
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

a v6 does not need a cat less mod pipe. why would it its not a high performance motor. the 3.7s are a exception. prior to the 3.7's nothing impressive. only a 2010 or earlier v6 would benefit, would be excessive motor work with boost/nitrous
Nothing was ever said about it needing a catless mid pipe. Your just taking this in any random direction. Removing the cats does not hurt performance on our 3.8's. Especially when tuned correctly. I'm baffled at the level of misinformation in this thread. I hope this thread comes around, its a shame when new people come to the forum and get bad info.

Ask the many 94-04 3.8 owners on the forum what they think of the catless setups that we run. I'm sure you will get nothing but positive responses. Experience trumps theory any day of the week.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nothing was ever said about it needing a catless mid pipe. Your just taking this in any random direction. Removing the cats does not hurt performance on our 3.8's. Especially when tuned correctly. I'm baffled at the level of misinformation in this thread. I hope this thread comes around, its a shame when new people come to the forum and get bad info.
whatever. on a stock 3.8 v6 yes it will hurt performance.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

whatever. on a stock 3.8 v6 yes it will hurt performance.
How many catless 3.8's have you owned?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang