Acceleration Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Acceleration Problems

Hi im currently having problems Accelerating in my car (99 v6 5speed) when i cruise its fine but soon as i start to put some pressure down it starts to jump/hop/buck(something like that) I did some research online and they said to swap the coil pack, so i got one from a junk yard to see if it worked and it did for about 2 weeks then 3 days ago BAM. this has been off again on again since i bought it and seems to not be getting any better. I replaced the fuel filter and ran dry gas when i bought it thinking that might of been the cause but sure enough no go. Im gonna take it off the road tomorrow and drive my truck till i can get it fixed and paint the roof. Im gonna try to get it into a shop to have the coil pack tested and see if they possibly know whats up (ex. since they suggested the coil pack too). BTW no codes at all.

Any Suggestions im trying to avoid the shop repairing it as i need to buy new tires for my truck this week and that's gonna be at-least a $700-800 investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #2

Region: New York
I think you Are jumping the gun w taking it to a shop. Try new coil pack and sparkplugs. You can do that alone and both of those are less then 100 bucks. Get the right sparkplugs and make sure theyre gapped correctly. I believe the gap is .054. Try that and let us know if it foxed the problem
Dlahu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Bump: So im bumping this to see if anyone has any sugestions. I have new plugs in it today, and i did install another coil pack before my last post but it still seems to be doing it and I dont know 100% why? any sugestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Had the same exact problem with my 2002 V6, had to change the entire ignition (coil pack, spark plugs and wires), then the problem went away. I've heard a dirty throttle body might be the cause too.
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think plugs is next since they are cheap and actually i had the intake off today to do the plugs and checked the TB and it seemed good. But plugs are next, this seems like a pretty common problem for these cars with this motor im surprised there isnt a big write up somewhere explaining this and how to go about diagnosing this and fixing it
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NhFireSlayer View Post
I think plugs is next since they are cheap and actually i had the intake off today to do the plugs and checked the TB and it seemed good. But plugs are next, this seems like a pretty common problem for these cars with this motor im surprised there isnt a big write up somewhere explaining this and how to go about diagnosing this and fixing it
The tb mostly gets dirty from the inside. Try cleaning taking it off and cleaning it out. And the iac as well
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So here is my update. new plugs, new wires did not help.... But this is the weird part i did wires yesterday and though it did not help at first, on my way to work (after maybe 10+miles) it ran beautifully (idk why) even though it was still doing it earlier in the day. so for about a mile to work, then to dinner and back, then to walmart and home (maybe 25 miles total) it ran great. But this morning it went back to its old ways and did not improve as the day went on. I cleaned the Throttle body and the IAC sensor tonight after I got home but I wont be able to see if that helped till tomorrow.

So lastly just a question (or two) Could this be possibly the PCM/ECU and how do i test to see if it is? I had a friend suggest it, he said it sounds exactly like what his old 94 Tbird was doing and that was what it was.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NhFireSlayer View Post
So here is my update. new plugs, new wires did not help.... But this is the weird part i did wires yesterday and though it did not help at first, on my way to work (after maybe 10+miles) it ran beautifully (idk why) even though it was still doing it earlier in the day. so for about a mile to work, then to dinner and back, then to walmart and home (maybe 25 miles total) it ran great. But this morning it went back to its old ways and did not improve as the day went on. I cleaned the Throttle body and the IAC sensor tonight after I got home but I wont be able to see if that helped till tomorrow.

So lastly just a question (or two) Could this be possibly the PCM/ECU and how do i test to see if it is? I had a friend suggest it, he said it sounds exactly like what his old 94 Tbird was doing and that was what it was.
Check your cam positioning sensor and crank sensor. Mine did this too, even though its the 98, and after changing those two sensors it ran like a champ. Other things could be maybe a bad fuel pump or dirty injectors
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bump/update/

Called mechanic last time you heard from me, he said to put a new coil pack in it and call him if it didnt help and he would go though it and see whats up. So i put a new coil pack from VIP in it and it didnt help. so i parked it till i could call the mechanic and see whats up, it sat for a few days and i went to drive it, guess what? running great so i said id drive it till friday and see how it was (3days) friday came along running good still, so i drove it for a few weeks no hick ups (i was happy) so earlier this week on tuesday i went to pick up a friend for some lunch before we had to be to work and I went to show off a bit (girl in the car) and guess what, it starts to jump again. been doing it all week now so im calling the mechanic tomorrow but i wanted to add something to the list maybe someone can put some input down with a new symptom?

SO, being the time of the year and the fact im in new england its getting cold, normally at night and in the morning. Well yesterday I had to meet at someones house at 630(edit:"am") to do a charity with the pink fire truck and i drove my car to their house, runs fine, thought it a little odd but wrote it off. So I get back to my car at 3 and it was running bad again. So i was heading out with friends so i opted to ride with them and parked my car at one of their's work while I was out. I get back at 11pm and start driving it runs great (note it is cold outside) but soon as the motor gets up to temp its running bad again. I parked it and went into a store for a few min and came out to it running nice for about an mile and a half and then running bad again.

Seems a little odd and at this point when I show up to the Mechanic I might just show him this thread lol. But If any of you know of anything that this might relate to let me know and ill try to look at it before it hits the shop later this week.

Thank again guys you have been great
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE:::: ITS FIXED
Thank god lol. Only cost me $895.85 to get it up and going.
The report, after chasing ghost for too long i brought it to a good friend of mine who is a mechanic. He ripped through the car for 4 days, pulled everything, tested everything, and found it. The end result? my fuel was too hot.

What was going on was the fuel pump was over heating the fuel to a point that it was turning into vapor and throwing off my fuel pressure and causing it to not fire properly. he also said because it was over heating the fuel my car was turning into a ticking time bomb (what he said was the reason it didnt explode is because it was too rich on fuel)

SO thats it lol 4 months in the making lol hope she runs good for a long time
Old 10-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Good man glad u got it fixed it sucks when trying to figure out what's wrong with your car !!
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang