Warning to my fellow enthusiasts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Warning to my fellow enthusiasts

This post isnt about a mustang in particular, so for that I apologize. I just felt it could benefit someone to tell my story.

So im a very proud owner if my 2000 mustang. Probably the the most horing mustang ever, (automatic v6) but its my first car, and im incredibly grateful for it.
Anyway, about three weeks ago, someone decided to put a significant amount of sugar into my gas tank. The gas was the last thing we checked, so for two weeks all we could do was throw new parts and money at it since it didnt report any codes. After we found the sugar, we realized all six fuel injectors had to be replaced. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and gas tank also had to be replaced. It ended up being about 2,000 bucks in repairs.
Basically, this post is just a warning to any other mustang driver. I personally invested into a nice locking gas cap so this will hopefully never happen again. Well, theres my thought of the day. Hope everyone has a nice day! also, I included a picture of my stang, just because im proud of it, I like to show it off, sorry haha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130727_212753.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	120860
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Sorry to hear that...I've thought about buying a locking gas cap...i might now, i dont like how anyone can just pop open my lid with a finger
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
andregayola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: newark
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,201
that really sucks dude n im sorry it happened n i wish u the best of luck those 2000 dollars could of went to a super charger n that cap was a good investment
__________________
1999 V6
Sonic Blue
Mods - Eibach Super sports
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Yeah, you can get a pretty basic one for as little as 20 bucks. I know that having mine now I feel much better whenever going into work or going into the grocery store.

And yeah, a supercharger would have been nice! Haha
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
andregayola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: newark
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,201
he'll yea lol or procharger man i want the m112 i love the wine

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------



watch n be amazed
__________________
1999 V6
Sonic Blue
Mods - Eibach Super sports
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
FortyBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,057
Ok so since my tire has been flat and I dot have any key locks to it I've parkedit at my olde house. I can't see the car but I am now worried some people that don't like me may have done that after reading this. How can I check to see if sugar was put in my tank???
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
andregayola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: newark
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,201
that i know of u can't lol only if u pull some fuel out n check it
__________________
1999 V6
Sonic Blue
Mods - Eibach Super sports
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
The haters man....the haters
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
That is quite epic! I dont know if I would modify my v6 too much though. I like having it has a daily driver that can get kind of decent gas milage. Kinda.
I would love to have another mustang to play around with though. Like a newer 5.0 or an 03-04 cobra, even a gt version of the modelbi have now. Ah, thats the dream haha. Unfortunately, im only 17 and ill be going to a pretty expensive college next year. But hey, dreams cant come true if you dont have any! Lol
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
I had a buddy that always did that to his ex girlfriends. The one that broke him of it, kissed and made up. He then spent $$$$ to fix it, she dumped him the next day, after she put 5# of sugar in his.LOL
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
andregayola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: newark
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I had a buddy that always did that to his ex girlfriends. The one that broke him of it, kissed and made up. He then spent $$$$ to fix it, she dumped him the next day, after she put 5# of sugar in his.LOL
epic revenge
__________________
1999 V6
Sonic Blue
Mods - Eibach Super sports
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Ok so since my tire has been flat and I dot have any key locks to it I've parkedit at my olde house. I can't see the car but I am now worried some people that don't like me may have done that after reading this. How can I check to see if sugar was put in my tank???
Several ppl told you how to get that wheel off.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Ok so since my tire has been flat and I dot have any key locks to it I've parkedit at my olde house. I can't see the car but I am now worried some people that don't like me may have done that after reading this. How can I check to see if sugar was put in my tank???
Yeah, luckily theres a shop around me that specializes in mustangs that took pretty good care of mine. After we took it there and told them all the stuff we had tried, the fuel was the first thing they tested. I think they some sort of little tool they were able to stick into the gas tank that was small enough to get past the wire mesh thats in most mustangs to stop people from stealing gas lol

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I had a buddy that always did that to his ex girlfriends. The one that broke him of it, kissed and made up. He then spent $$$$ to fix it, she dumped him the next day, after she put 5# of sugar in his.LOL
Karma. That is all... lol
I like to think whoever did this to me will have it come back around in them at some point in their life! Haha
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Don't lose the key...have an extra copy made and keep it somewhere in the car. I've had to disassemble one on a mustang and it wasn't fun at all. Especially when the car is out of gas and 30 minutes from home.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Don't lose the key...have an extra copy made and keep it somewhere in the car. I've had to disassemble one on a mustang and it wasn't fun at all. Especially when the car is out of gas and 30 minutes from home.
Wow, that doesnt sound appealing at all. The one we bought came with two keys. I keep one on my keychain and the other is at my house on our key rack. I might look into getting another one made as well and keep in my car as you said. Ive had like three spares made for my car already haha. I locked my keys in my car like twice before I started keeping one of those in my wallet at any time lol
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
FortyBrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Several ppl told you how to get that wheel off.
I know I have the pics. Just been busy. Gotta run down there to zone auto to see if they have this hexagon shaped one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2376414723.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	120868   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3136126174.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	120869  

FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

I know I have the pics. Just been busy. Gotta run down there to zone auto to see if they have this hexagon shaped one
Ummmm. Isn't that just a normal lug nut?

Hey did you replace your fuel filter as well?? If you tried cranking it all that crap got stuck in there and got past it since it went to the injectors. I'm pretty sure your mechanic changed it but can't hurt to ask haha
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Ummmm. Isn't that just a normal lug nut?

Hey did you replace your fuel filter as well?? If you tried cranking it all that crap got stuck in there and got past it since it went to the injectors. I'm pretty sure your mechanic changed it but can't hurt to ask haha
Oh yeah, definitely. Fuel pump and fuel filter. Even the gas tank was replaced because there was so much sugar sludge in there lol. My pony almost has a completely new fuel system now! Haha
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Everything except the canister and fuel lines. And a couple of sensors here and there haha. You shoulda cleaned out the lines as well. I cleaned out the fuel lines on my 66 by disconnecting the tank and the carb. Slipped some gas in them and blew it out with an air compressor. You shoulda seen the crap that was in those lines haha. Well I'm glad you got the stang fixed up
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Everything except the canister and fuel lines. And a couple of sensors here and there haha. You shoulda cleaned out the lines as well. I cleaned out the fuel lines on my 66 by disconnecting the tank and the carb. Slipped some gas in them and blew it out with an air compressor. You shoulda seen the crap that was in those lines haha. Well I'm glad you got the stang fixed up
Haha yep, and the fuel lines were definitely cleaned. And you have a 66? Thats epic! My father has a 66 fastback that we rescued from a junk yard. Its in restoration mode right now, but its gonna be one sick stang once its finished. Dont have any pics of it yet though:/
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
hepler02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: belleville
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 86
Wow I cant believe someone would do that! Well I can because ppl r morons but wow so sorry to read this
hepler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post

Haha yep, and the fuel lines were definitely cleaned. And you have a 66? Thats epic! My father has a 66 fastback that we rescued from a junk yard. Its in restoration mode right now, but its gonna be one sick stang once its finished. Dont have any pics of it yet though:/
Okay, looks like you guys did a good job then. Keep it up well, HAD a 66. It was a money pit so I traded my friend for his 02 V6. Post some pics when you do!!
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post
This post isnt about a mustang in particular, so for that I apologize. I just felt it could benefit someone to tell my story.

So im a very proud owner if my 2000 mustang. Probably the the most horing mustang ever, (automatic v6) but its my first car, and im incredibly grateful for it.
Anyway, about three weeks ago, someone decided to put a significant amount of sugar into my gas tank. The gas was the last thing we checked, so for two weeks all we could do was throw new parts and money at it since it didnt report any codes. After we found the sugar, we realized all six fuel injectors had to be replaced. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and gas tank also had to be replaced. It ended up being about 2,000 bucks in repairs.
Basically, this post is just a warning to any other mustang driver. I personally invested into a nice locking gas cap so this will hopefully never happen again. Well, theres my thought of the day. Hope everyone has a nice day! also, I included a picture of my stang, just because im proud of it, I like to show it off, sorry haha!
you must of really pissed someone off lol
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, Az
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,037
This inspired me to get a gas cap with a lock.
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
2000 bucks!?!? Did you have a shop do the work?
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Crowned1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
This inspired me to get a gas cap with a lock.
lol
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
black_stang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spencer
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
2000 bucks!?!? Did you have a shop do the work?
I did have a shop do the work. It was way too much stuff that had to be replaced to do it personally lol
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:29 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.