Warning to my fellow enthusiasts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Warning to my fellow enthusiasts

This post isnt about a mustang in particular, so for that I apologize. I just felt it could benefit someone to tell my story.

So im a very proud owner if my 2000 mustang. Probably the the most horing mustang ever, (automatic v6) but its my first car, and im incredibly grateful for it.
Anyway, about three weeks ago, someone decided to put a significant amount of sugar into my gas tank. The gas was the last thing we checked, so for two weeks all we could do was throw new parts and money at it since it didnt report any codes. After we found the sugar, we realized all six fuel injectors had to be replaced. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and gas tank also had to be replaced. It ended up being about 2,000 bucks in repairs.
Basically, this post is just a warning to any other mustang driver. I personally invested into a nice locking gas cap so this will hopefully never happen again. Well, theres my thought of the day. Hope everyone has a nice day! also, I included a picture of my stang, just because im proud of it, I like to show it off, sorry haha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130727_212753.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	120860
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sorry to hear that...I've thought about buying a locking gas cap...i might now, i dont like how anyone can just pop open my lid with a finger
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
that really sucks dude n im sorry it happened n i wish u the best of luck those 2000 dollars could of went to a super charger n that cap was a good investment
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, you can get a pretty basic one for as little as 20 bucks. I know that having mine now I feel much better whenever going into work or going into the grocery store.

And yeah, a supercharger would have been nice! Haha
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

he'll yea lol or procharger man i want the m112 i love the wine

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

watch n be amazed
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ok so since my tire has been flat and I dot have any key locks to it I've parkedit at my olde house. I can't see the car but I am now worried some people that don't like me may have done that after reading this. How can I check to see if sugar was put in my tank???
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

that i know of u can't lol only if u pull some fuel out n check it
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The haters man....the haters
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That is quite epic! I dont know if I would modify my v6 too much though. I like having it has a daily driver that can get kind of decent gas milage. Kinda.
I would love to have another mustang to play around with though. Like a newer 5.0 or an 03-04 cobra, even a gt version of the modelbi have now. Ah, thats the dream haha. Unfortunately, im only 17 and ill be going to a pretty expensive college next year. But hey, dreams cant come true if you dont have any! Lol
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I had a buddy that always did that to his ex girlfriends. The one that broke him of it, kissed and made up. He then spent $$$$ to fix it, she dumped him the next day, after she put 5# of sugar in his.LOL
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I had a buddy that always did that to his ex girlfriends. The one that broke him of it, kissed and made up. He then spent $$$$ to fix it, she dumped him the next day, after she put 5# of sugar in his.LOL
epic revenge
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Ok so since my tire has been flat and I dot have any key locks to it I've parkedit at my olde house. I can't see the car but I am now worried some people that don't like me may have done that after reading this. How can I check to see if sugar was put in my tank???
Several ppl told you how to get that wheel off.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, luckily theres a shop around me that specializes in mustangs that took pretty good care of mine. After we took it there and told them all the stuff we had tried, the fuel was the first thing they tested. I think they some sort of little tool they were able to stick into the gas tank that was small enough to get past the wire mesh thats in most mustangs to stop people from stealing gas lol

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Karma. That is all... lol
I like to think whoever did this to me will have it come back around in them at some point in their life! Haha
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Don't lose the key...have an extra copy made and keep it somewhere in the car. I've had to disassemble one on a mustang and it wasn't fun at all. Especially when the car is out of gas and 30 minutes from home.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Don't lose the key...have an extra copy made and keep it somewhere in the car. I've had to disassemble one on a mustang and it wasn't fun at all. Especially when the car is out of gas and 30 minutes from home.
Wow, that doesnt sound appealing at all. The one we bought came with two keys. I keep one on my keychain and the other is at my house on our key rack. I might look into getting another one made as well and keep in my car as you said. Ive had like three spares made for my car already haha. I locked my keys in my car like twice before I started keeping one of those in my wallet at any time lol
Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

Several ppl told you how to get that wheel off.
I know I have the pics. Just been busy. Gotta run down there to zone auto to see if they have this hexagon shaped one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2376414723.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	120868   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3136126174.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	120869  

FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

I know I have the pics. Just been busy. Gotta run down there to zone auto to see if they have this hexagon shaped one
Ummmm. Isn't that just a normal lug nut?

Hey did you replace your fuel filter as well?? If you tried cranking it all that crap got stuck in there and got past it since it went to the injectors. I'm pretty sure your mechanic changed it but can't hurt to ask haha
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Ummmm. Isn't that just a normal lug nut?

Hey did you replace your fuel filter as well?? If you tried cranking it all that crap got stuck in there and got past it since it went to the injectors. I'm pretty sure your mechanic changed it but can't hurt to ask haha
Oh yeah, definitely. Fuel pump and fuel filter. Even the gas tank was replaced because there was so much sugar sludge in there lol. My pony almost has a completely new fuel system now! Haha
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Everything except the canister and fuel lines. And a couple of sensors here and there haha. You shoulda cleaned out the lines as well. I cleaned out the fuel lines on my 66 by disconnecting the tank and the carb. Slipped some gas in them and blew it out with an air compressor. You shoulda seen the crap that was in those lines haha. Well I'm glad you got the stang fixed up
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Everything except the canister and fuel lines. And a couple of sensors here and there haha. You shoulda cleaned out the lines as well. I cleaned out the fuel lines on my 66 by disconnecting the tank and the carb. Slipped some gas in them and blew it out with an air compressor. You shoulda seen the crap that was in those lines haha. Well I'm glad you got the stang fixed up
Haha yep, and the fuel lines were definitely cleaned. And you have a 66? Thats epic! My father has a 66 fastback that we rescued from a junk yard. Its in restoration mode right now, but its gonna be one sick stang once its finished. Dont have any pics of it yet though:/
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Wow I cant believe someone would do that! Well I can because ppl r morons but wow so sorry to read this
hepler02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post

Haha yep, and the fuel lines were definitely cleaned. And you have a 66? Thats epic! My father has a 66 fastback that we rescued from a junk yard. Its in restoration mode right now, but its gonna be one sick stang once its finished. Dont have any pics of it yet though:/
Okay, looks like you guys did a good job then. Keep it up well, HAD a 66. It was a money pit so I traded my friend for his 02 V6. Post some pics when you do!!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post
This post isnt about a mustang in particular, so for that I apologize. I just felt it could benefit someone to tell my story.

So im a very proud owner if my 2000 mustang. Probably the the most horing mustang ever, (automatic v6) but its my first car, and im incredibly grateful for it.
Anyway, about three weeks ago, someone decided to put a significant amount of sugar into my gas tank. The gas was the last thing we checked, so for two weeks all we could do was throw new parts and money at it since it didnt report any codes. After we found the sugar, we realized all six fuel injectors had to be replaced. The fuel pump, fuel filter, and gas tank also had to be replaced. It ended up being about 2,000 bucks in repairs.
Basically, this post is just a warning to any other mustang driver. I personally invested into a nice locking gas cap so this will hopefully never happen again. Well, theres my thought of the day. Hope everyone has a nice day! also, I included a picture of my stang, just because im proud of it, I like to show it off, sorry haha!
you must of really pissed someone off lol
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
This inspired me to get a gas cap with a lock.
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

2000 bucks!?!? Did you have a shop do the work?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
This inspired me to get a gas cap with a lock.
lol
Crowned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
2000 bucks!?!? Did you have a shop do the work?
I did have a shop do the work. It was way too much stuff that had to be replaced to do it personally lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang