CAI + water. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Region: New York
CAI + water.

Whats the deal and REAL truth w this? I have an sr performance cai in the front rightside of my 99 v6. Can i drive thru the rain? Or is it only a huge puddle thatll hydrolock or "break" my engine??
Dlahu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You would pretty much have to have the entire filter completely submerged to suck water into the engine. For a test of this, take a shop vac, a CAI filter and a bucket of water. Attach the filter to the shop vac and turn it on. Slowly stick the filter into the water - you won't suck water until it can't suck air any longer. As long as you aren't going mud bogging or driving down flooded roads, you should be fine.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlahu95 View Post
Whats the deal and REAL truth w this? I have an sr performance cai in the front rightside of my 99 v6. Can i drive thru the rain? Or is it only a huge puddle thatll hydrolock or "break" my engine??
I've never had a problem, in really Humid/misty times water gets every ware. So if you are doing hrs in the rain it not a bad idea to make sure your CAI isn't soaked
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
If you are that worried you can add an air bypass valve but its not necessary.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
No need to worry about water. The wheel well will protect the filter. Driven my car (with CAI) through a huge puddle. Car bogged down a bit but kept going. Never had a problem with it
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
You would pretty much have to have the entire filter completely submerged to suck water into the engine. For a test of this, take a shop vac, a CAI filter and a bucket of water. Attach the filter to the shop vac and turn it on. Slowly stick the filter into the water - you won't suck water until it can't suck air any longer. As long as you aren't going mud bogging or driving down flooded roads, you should be fine.
How do you know all this as a woman????
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

x2

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

In regards to the shop vac idea, it would give you a pretty accurate interpretation but wouldn't the car suck in more air than a shop vac? I'm not too sure about it because I haven't felt the suction the car makes through the throttle body creates
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I blew my motor because of that
Iowaboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I never had a problem with it. Drove through rain and puddles. Only bogged down once.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I can't build a motor or do science experiments. Jeeeebus H Cripes...

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
x2

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

In regards to the shop vac idea, it would give you a pretty accurate interpretation but wouldn't the car suck in more air than a shop vac? I'm not too sure about it because I haven't felt the suction the car makes through the throttle body creates
I had a pretty powerful shop vac I tried this on before putting my CAI on my Speed 6 - the principle still holds unless you've got a really weak vacuum - air is easier to suck through a porous material than water so it will take the air before water. If you were aiming a high pressure hose at the filter so that it would pass through that might change things up, but wouldn't really be a realistic test.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I can't build a motor or do science experiments. Jeeeebus H Cripes...

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

I had a pretty powerful shop vac I tried this on before putting my CAI on my Speed 6 - the principle still holds unless you've got a really weak vacuum - air is easier to suck through a porous material than water so it will take the air before water. If you were aiming a high pressure hose at the filter so that it would pass through that might change things up, but wouldn't really be a realistic test.
Lmfao!
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaboy13 View Post
I blew my motor because of that
You can't blow a motor with water? You'd hydrolock it though. You might have have driven through a lake maybe? Or not tightened a clamp on your CAI? I've hosed down my engine (not power washed) and it works stunningly well still.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:

+1! Hahah

Oh okay, you still get an accurate test out of it regardless though. And the filter is like a foot or a foot and a half in the air so unless you're driving through a flood and had your wheel well off then that would be a more accurate interpretation of the shop vac test lol
Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
You can blow it , If ur going 40 and under no prob , but when ur driving fast and it sucks up the water can't compress in the cylinders so it can bend the rods that's what happened ether way bought a brand new motor
Iowaboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Rain wont hurt it but if your going to wash your car, watch where you spray up front. I put saran wrap and a couple of towels in front and below the filter.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
You can blow it , If ur going 40 and under no prob , but when ur driving fast and it sucks up the water can't compress in the cylinders so it can bend the rods that's what happened ether way bought a brand new motor
My Mom bent a rod on my civic si just driving over a deep puddle just passed my driveway. The cai positioned the air filter just below the bumper.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't drive through a puddle at 20+... Damn that's gotta suck. Good to hear you got a new motor though. Maybe the positioning and the protection of the filter itself is what can make the difference. I have a friend with a pretty low Acura. His CAI is literally 3 inches from the floor.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post

My Mom bent a rod on my civic si just driving over a deep puddle just passed my driveway. The cai positioned the air filter just below the bumper.
Lol. Buddy had the same thing happen on his turbo civic. Hit a puddle, sucked in water bang! Put the rod through the side of the block.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

As others have said, you'll be fine driving in the rain with a SR CAI. I don't suggest driving fast through deep puddles, but I also don't suggest that with any car. Just use your common sense on what's deep and what's fast, and you'll be more than okay!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Yea that's hydro locking it just saying
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

I know I am not the only one thinking this and I have seen this many times, (NEED PICTURES).
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang