I need help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
I need help!!

Okay so today I got some painted shorty headers put on. Afterwards the paint burned off, which was expected and is not a problem. BUT then the whole way home the car would lurch constantly. It also was making weird noises. The service engine soon light would flash on and off every now and then also. Just to see if it affected performance, I floored it and it did fine up to 60 (but lurched the whole way to 60) and then at about 60 the car accelerated SUPER slow, the RPMs also went up slowly. It took about 1 minute to get from 60 to 75 at WOT. Please help I dont know what is wrong
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang81596's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pemberton
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Okay so today I got some painted shorty headers put on. Afterwards the paint burned off, which was expected and is not a problem. BUT then the whole way home the car would lurch constantly. It also was making weird noises. The service engine soon light would flash on and off every now and then also. Just to see if it affected performance, I floored it and it did fine up to 60 (but lurched the whole way to 60) and then at about 60 the car accelerated SUPER slow, the RPMs also went up slowly. It took about 1 minute to get from 60 to 75 at WOT. Please help I dont know what is wrong
Is everything sealed properly? Is there a leak perhaps
__________________
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
What brand were they? Cheap brands can have leaks everywhere, heck even BBK has been known to have leaks. Did they put new gaskets?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang81596 View Post
Is everything sealed properly? Is there a leak perhaps
They checked the seals and leaks before I left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
What brand were they? Cheap brands can have leaks everywhere, heck even BBK has been known to have leaks. Did they put new gaskets?
They are pacesetter. And yeah both were new gaskets
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Okay so today I got some painted shorty headers put on. Afterwards the paint burned off, which was expected and is not a problem. BUT then the whole way home the car would lurch constantly. It also was making weird noises. The service engine soon light would flash on and off every now and then also. Just to see if it affected performance, I floored it and it did fine up to 60 (but lurched the whole way to 60) and then at about 60 the car accelerated SUPER slow, the RPMs also went up slowly. It took about 1 minute to get from 60 to 75 at WOT. Please help I dont know what is wrong
Do you have a tune on your car? I don't know if it would make that much difference but I see no one yet asked. GOOD LUCK ON GETTING IT FIXED.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Do you have a tune on your car? I don't know if it would make that much difference but I see no one yet asked. GOOD LUCK ON GETTING IT FIXED.
Nope no tune. But thanks though!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Some kind of plug wasn't in all the way so that fixed MOST of the lurching but it is still really slow. Any ideas? He tried to tell me that I might need a tune up and to run synthetic oil. But I think he just doesn't want to admit that he messed something up. The car ran FINE, none of these problems were present before they worked on it. Do y'all think that is really the problem? I just had my oil changed so I don't want to do it again if he's just bs-ing me
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Some kind of plug wasn't in all the way so that fixed MOST of the lurching but it is still really slow. Any ideas? He tried to tell me that I might need a tune up and to run synthetic oil. But I think he just doesn't want to admit that he messed something up. The car ran FINE, none of these problems were present before they worked on it. Do y'all think that is really the problem? I just had my oil changed so I don't want to do it again if he's just bs-ing me
Don't go to him if he can't even find out what's wrong. I suggest you go through and tighten an torque all the bolts to specs. Check the headers for leaks Jack the car up from the front, start it and check for any exhaust leaks, then jack the car up from the rear and do the same. Just careful not to touch the pipes if none of that works try doing a tune up minus the oil change since you just did it. Next check your fuel. Might be some bad gas
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1shotkllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 398
Flashing check engine light usually means a missfire. Check your connections and plugs. O2 sensors as well
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Don't go to him if he can't even find out what's wrong. I suggest you go through and tighten an torque all the bolts to specs. Check the headers for leaks Jack the car up from the front, start it and check for any exhaust leaks, then jack the car up from the rear and do the same. Just careful not to touch the pipes if none of that works try doing a tune up minus the oil change since you just did it. Next check your fuel. Might be some bad gas
The bolts are tightened good and I'll take it to an exhaust shop about the leaks. But it's not bad gas or the tune up (yes it probably needs it but that's not the problem). I am on the same tank of gas as when he put them on. The car was absolutely fine before he put my headers on and now it is doing those things. Also a little of an update, it is still lurching/jerking but not near as much. And thanks for the advice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotkllz View Post
Flashing check engine light usually means a missfire. Check your connections and plugs. O2 sensors as well
On the 3rd pipe from the driver's side (the farthest one) the paint is pretty much all still on. So I don't THINK it is firing on it. I'm not sure what connections and plugs to check, could you explain? Thanks for the time and help!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
1shotkllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 398
Make sure all your spark plug boots are pushed down tightly. Make sure your coil pack is secure. He could of bumped/removed something and not put it back right.
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotkllz View Post
Make sure all your spark plug boots are pushed down tightly. Make sure your coil pack is secure. He could of bumped/removed something and not put it back right.
Thanks I'll try my best to figure it out
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
1shotkllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 398
Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I'm a v8 guy, so know very minimal about 6ers. But every little bit of info helps
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular
 
Ubnbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tazewell
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 3,532
I wish we had a pic to post for him. It would make it a lot easier to know what he is looking for. If there is still paint on that header tube, it is probably not gettin fire. Do u know what all he did to put ur headers on? Did he remove the plugs and or wires? I think the guys are dead on. Just look for ur spark plug wire on that tube and check it out. U might even pull the plug if the wire is on it good now. He might have pulled the plug and closed the gap.
__________________
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Blovett55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Greenville
Region: Ohio
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I wish we had a pic to post for him. It would make it a lot easier to know what he is looking for. If there is still paint on that header tube, it is probably not gettin fire. Do u know what all he did to put ur headers on? Did he remove the plugs and or wires? I think the guys are dead on. Just look for ur spark plug wire on that tube and check it out. U might even pull the plug if the wire is on it good now. He might have pulled the plug and closed the gap.
MAke sure each boot is going to the correct cylinder too, you can't just unplug the boot and plug in wherever you feel so make sure theyr in order
Blovett55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
1shotkllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blovett55 View Post

MAke sure each boot is going to the correct cylinder too, you can't just unplug the boot and plug in wherever you feel so make sure theyr in order
+1 firing order is everything
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotkllz View Post
Let us know what you do and how it turns out. I'm a v8 guy, so know very minimal about 6ers. But every little bit of info helps
Anything else I can think of I will post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I wish we had a pic to post for him. It would make it a lot easier to know what he is looking for. If there is still paint on that header tube, it is probably not gettin fire. Do u know what all he did to put ur headers on? Did he remove the plugs and or wires? I think the guys are dead on. Just look for ur spark plug wire on that tube and check it out. U might even pull the plug if the wire is on it good now. He might have pulled the plug and closed the gap.
Yeah a picture would be helpful. I'm new to cars so I'm still learning. No clue what all he did. I know he had to pull out my power steering cause I heard him say it, other than that I have no idea. I will have a look at it. I'm taking it to Autozone tomorrow for codes, I'll ask them if they could check my sparkplugs real quick too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blovett55 View Post
MAke sure each boot is going to the correct cylinder too, you can't just unplug the boot and plug in wherever you feel so make sure theyr in order
Thanks! I'll try to figure out if they are right

Thanks everyone for their help!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Just changed a spark plug and that was the problem! It had a hairline crack down the whole thing and one of the little ring things was broken too. Thank you all for the help!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Sounds like it was hit when the headers where installed.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Sounds like it was hit when the headers where installed.
That's what I figured
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.