New To Mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Region: Florida
New To Mustangs

Okay so hi guys, I'm about to jump into the mustang scene but I just have a few questions before I purchase a 2002 v6 at a dealer near me. Some background, I'm Brandon, 18 and have been working on cars all my life but unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable as I should be at the moment.
The mustang I'm wanting to buy is in perfect condition except for the cowl around the wipers (easy fix i suppose?) And the trim around the AC/radio(another easy one?)
Well all my life I've only ever driven one manual car, even though I was always around them. I was just wondering if mustangs clutch was supposed to have a solid feel to it, not like incredibly hard but a good amount of resistance to it. Because when I drove the 02' it had that resistance and coming from a beat up 93' jeep Cherokee to this is a huge difference. I'm used to no resistance at all. Second question, are the gears supposed to be so close together, meaning that dropping from first to second is only about say an inch or two? Any answers are appreciated! Don't make fun, just new to it all and hope one day I can build an amazing machine from an already great car.
Xilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
the gears being close sounds like a short throw shifter lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Yeah I did notice a TWM knob on the top, but I thought they didn't make short throws for pre-05'. I scared the hell out of the sales person speeding through gears hah. I'm definitely not used to the gears riding so much higher. My Cherokee goes 1st(15), 2nd(25),3rd(35),4th(until it blows up),5th(about 105). So I was lost in the test driving with the sales person helping me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Sad Panda
Staff

got pics of this car? im sure someone else will chime in about the other stuff. but if the shifter has been upgraded theres a great possibility of the clutch being upgraded as well?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #5

I don't at the moment its at the dealer getting detailed for the sale. When I get the title in my hand I'll make sure to take as many pics as my phone will hold. The sales person said he has papers on everything that's been upgraded. The body has 191k on it but the trans and engine only have about 6k because some kid blew it up two years back. The shifter had the same length stalk (or whatever its called) as any other 99' through 04' mustang I've seen but it just felt like it didn't have as much travel. I couldnt find where the clutch release perfectly during the test drive though to be honest. Lots of travel and resistance there
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Sad Panda
Staff

sounds good, im ready to see this beast
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
U sir, need to get us some pics lol. Inside, out, and under the hood. Let's see what all they have done to ur new baby. If new clutch and short throw, could be many more goodies!
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yeah the clutch should feel that way if it's good. I hate spongy feeling clutches.
Pavimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like a throw shifter. A 97 GT that I drive had the gears like a mile apart. The bezel is an way fix, wiper cowl not so much. It's a hard and fragile piece to remove though. And it's about $150
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #10

The salesperson just sent me these through email. I mistook the knob for Twm but it has more weight to me than stock. Dunno as of now but i like it. It needs a bit of waxing but its beautiful to me as it is! No engine bay pics as of now though

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173503.png
Views:	168
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	123053

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173513.png
Views:	173
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	123054

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173527.png
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	123055

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173541.png
Views:	177
Size:	548.5 KB
ID:	123056

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173559.png
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	123057

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173611.png
Views:	170
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	123058

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173629.png
Views:	155
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	123059

Name:	ForumRunner_20130810_173639.png
Views:	159
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	123060
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Looks nice. The reason you have a hole in the radio bezel is because it has an aftermarket head unit. Stock it came with the radio an a CD player in the bottom. Try to upgrade to the newer 01-04 radio bezels where you can fit a double din head unit
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
She looks mint!
Pavimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Looks nice! If the price is right, get it
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Sad Panda
Staff

very nice!!!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Shes a beaut. Very clean! How much are they asking?
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Bro I have this car in the 01 version! I have the Saleen setup with amercian muscle rims sitting on nittos 315(rear) and 275(front). I highly recommend these tires and rims, u should do the cobra body style, u for yourself a great year, these r my favorite years besides the fastbacks.
KamzGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #17

The owner at the dealer is asking $4,999 but I'm going to try and knock it down a few hundred or so just cause. I was just driving through Sebastian, Fl and saw it shining on the lot! Couldn't pass up the opportunity to check it out. The owner did say something about bearings in the rear end, could barely understand him cause he was mumbling but that'll be fixed up before I buy it. I didn't hear any noise coming from the back end, the engine does sound a bit louder and deeper sounding than stock so maybe extra exhaust goodies installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMZ01MUSTANG View Post
Bro I have this car in the 01 version! I have the Saleen setup with amercian muscle rims sitting on nittos 315(rear) and 275(front). I highly recommend these tires and rims, u should do the cobra body style, u for yourself a great year, these r my favorite years besides the fastbacks.
I love AR rims, I might try and find a body kit or something from Saleen or the Cobra ones and install it one day. Not really sure what I wanna do with it first.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Come by Cali and ill show u what the Saleen look is like, I can't wait to lower it in December. If I were u, I would keep looking around, I bought mine with 77k miles for 7.4k. It came with body kit, exhaust done and viper alarm, and mach sound system. I put rims,tires, and touch screen deck in that's all. I walked away with an incredible car and deal, just take your time, since I've had the car I invested a happy amount of 2.5k into it and I don't regret it!!!

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

As far as the exhaust goes, look underneath and take a pic for us
Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #19

Around here Mustangs aren't cheaper then that unless they're falling apart, blown up, 95% of paint is missing, engine and trans are pulled, just stuff like that. And the engine and trans only have 6k miles on them so it's basically still being broken in.

There is an 03' GT for sale for $2,995 but the motors blown to hell and back, and the clutch needs redone asap. I swore id never drop a trans again unless it was a necessity so there's really no point spending that much on a roller.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That's crazy, I live in CALI. So out here you get robbed when buying things but I think I just got very lucky cuz I did alot of researching on Craigslist and saw this car, right when I pulled into the lot I fell in love with it
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #21

The wild wild west hah. I'm thinking about building an engine for it, not sure what specs or size I want but its just a thought. We're building a 454 right now for our Willy's pickup and I don't think I wanna commit blasphemy by putting Chevy guts in a Ford. No matter how overpowered it'd be.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ford always wins
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #23

I'm kinda neutral, I just love muscle cars in general. I've always loved mustang, but I've also had a sweet spot for a Plymouth Cuda, and some GM but I won't go there in fear of fanatics swarming to attack... But damn do I love mustangs hah
Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think 315's for the rear are a bit too excessive for a V6 275's are perfect for the rear. But you already got them so it's all good. 315's must look beast though. You have any pics of the rear? And you're from Cali? Where at?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilver View Post
The owner at the dealer is asking $4,999 but I'm going to try and knock it down a few hundred or so just cause. I was just driving through Sebastian, Fl and saw it shining on the lot! Couldn't pass up the opportunity to check it out. The owner did say something about bearings in the rear end, could barely understand him cause he was mumbling but that'll be fixed up before I buy it. I didn't hear any noise coming from the back end, the engine does sound a bit louder and deeper sounding than stock so maybe extra exhaust goodies installed?

I love AR rims, I might try and find a body kit or something from Saleen or the Cobra ones and install it one day. Not really sure what I wanna do with it first.
I live in wabaso during the summer for 2 weeks! sorry.I had to say that. looks like a nice car thoe
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post

I live in wabaso during the summer for 2 weeks! sorry.I had to say that. looks like a nice car thoe
Then you probably know how dull it is down here when it comes to nice cars, or well anything really. Except for the guy with a Lamborghini that chills by the river just to be there hah
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

They're perfect for a v6, I plan on doing alot of work to this pony to make it a beast. Ill take pic tomorrow morning for ya, it'll be in my gallery. I get compliments on Dailey basis for my rims and tires, yes they're huge but they made my ride soooooo smooth and when I race I feel like I'm floating and even turns r amazing
Old 08-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Then you probably know how dull it is down here when it comes to nice cars, or well anything really
actually from where I actually live its paradice down there. but of course I live on the beach. not even a football field away from the ocean. but we frequent sebastion often for shopping. we also have a love for hunting treasure. have you ever heard of barefoot lane?! its on A1A about 300 yards away from the Disney resort. its on the other side of the Indian river. the ocean side.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Also I live in east bay area

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

I think 315's for the rear are a bit too excessive for a V6 275's are perfect for the rear. But you already got them so it's all good. 315's must look beast though. You have any pics of the rear? And you're from Cali? Where at?
Depends on what u like, I get compliments all the time! Makes my ride amazing and when I race even. I will tell u it grabs wayyyyyy better too compared to 275. All my tires stick out making it look BEASTLY, ill take a pic tomorrow for you, it'll be in my gallery.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #30

Quote:

actually from where I actually live its paradice down there. but of course I live on the beach. not even a football field away from the ocean. but we frequent sebastion often for shopping. we also have a love for hunting treasure. have you ever heard of barefoot lane?! its on A1A about 300 yards away from the Disney resort. its on the other side of the Indian river. the ocean side.
I know exactly where that is, I used to work out at John's island just as a side job when I was 16, which in turn paid better then the hourly work I had at the time. I still go down A1A to 510 when going to Sebastian just for the heck of it.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know exactly where that is, I used to work out at John's island just as a side job when I was 16, which in turn paid better then the hourly work I had at the time. I still go down A1A to 510 when going to Sebastian just for the heck of it.
Ever been to the ocean grill?! Where you can see the boiler wreck sticking up out of the water at low tide?! Or even capt hirims?! Right on the river?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #32

Quote:

Ever been to the ocean grill?! Where you can see the boiler wreck sticking up out of the water at low tide?! Or even capt hirims?! Right on the river?
Both actually, I go to Hiram's almost every weekend just to hang out with people. The dealer who's selling the mustang is right by hirams
Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Both actually, I go to Hiram's almost every weekend just to hang out with people. The dealer who's selling the mustang is right by hirams
Hirams is cool place. I havnt been down to our house in 2 years. Hopefully next summer we will go down.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
The salesperson just sent me these through email. I mistook the knob for Twm but it has more weight to me than stock. Dunno as of now but i like it. It needs a bit of waxing but its beautiful to me as it is! No engine bay pics as of now though
The rear window tint needs to be redone, they did it wrong because they were to lazy to mess with the dot matrix at the top.

Thats a lot of miles on the rest of the car. Check all the suspension components for excessive wear.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Come by Cali and ill show u what the Saleen look is like, I can't wait to lower it in December. If I were u, I would keep looking around, I bought mine with 77k miles for 7.4k. It came with body kit, exhaust done and viper alarm, and mach sound system. I put rims,tires, and touch screen deck in that's all. I walked away with an incredible car and deal, just take your time, since I've had the car I invested a happy amount of 2.5k into it and I don't regret it!!!

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

As far as the exhaust goes, look underneath and take a pic for us

Actually in cali they dont rob you too much... you just have to know how to negotiate. I have a 2000.. not much different then your '01 version lol came with staggered bullitt wheels, window tint, fully coustom reapolstered interior, viper alarm and a sound system... the only thing I was pissed it didn't have was the amp lol but anyways they had it listed for $6, 999 but I walked out the door for $5, 500 the blue book value for this car at a dealer is 5.5k and from a private seller about 3k I kep telling the dealer that and he kept trying to distract me with talking about the car and the goodies lol any ways he came at me with a offer for 6k and instead of making just a normal counter offer I pulled out a pen and paper and four squared him explaining everything I wanted and why. I told him I've been watching this car for over 3 months and with that price its gonna be longer and also he told me the car was traded in witch was a big mistake because now I know roughly what he paid for it... so he finally gave it to me for 5.5k. my best friend and his dad have been car salesmen for years and have tought me everything about how they work lol

And to the op nice looking sixxer! You're getting a good deal!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang