split-port swap on 97 3.8L? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
split-port swap on 97 3.8L?

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a bone stock 97 3.8L V6 convertible and I absolutely love it, although the stock v6 is only kicking out a suttle 150hp. I was thinking about installing a BBK CAI and throttle body, as well as shorty headers and catbacks but I was wondering if it would be worth it too save and install the split-port swap before, considering 94-98 only have the single-port robbing me of a lot of possible hp. I don't have a lot of money to play around with but I wish to improve the performance In the best way possible. So whats my best bet for now, aswell as whats the cheapest way in doing so, thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130815_001955.png
Views:	505
Size:	589.1 KB
ID:	123865
JTstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
do yourself a favor and start a savings account mod...buy an exhaust, and maybe some nice used wheels then save the rest. when you get a good chunk to play with sit back and decide what you want from the car. as for power consider an m90 build on you single port...parts aren't hard to find for pretty cheap at mustang swap meets like the ones at NMRA events.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I believe you can add a m90 supercharger pretty cheap to that car to get decent power out of it and still have it streetable. Obviously that's only if you want to consider the f/i route but a good option for relatively cheap power
Dpred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Very good call haha I'm 17 and its my first ride so I wanna make her special, went with the v6 because of the insurance. But sorry I'm still kind of learning about a lot of the mods I can do, could you poasibly explain what the m90 mod is? And I actually live in canada across the river from detroit but ill have to look into what kind of meets we have in my area, thanks for the tip
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

M90 is a roots style supercharger that you can easily put on your motor as is.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #6

S*** didn't see the other post, where would be the best place to look for the m90 supercharger for cheap and what other parts should I consider to reduce the stress on the engine
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTstang View Post
Very good call haha I'm 17 and its my first ride so I wanna make her special, went with the v6 because of the insurance. But sorry I'm still kind of learning about a lot of the mods I can do, could you poasibly explain what the m90 mod is? And I actually live in canada across the river from detroit but ill have to look into what kind of meets we have in my area, thanks for the tip
an m90 is a roots style supercharger used on super coupes

Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Check out craigslist and the forums for sale area just keep looking and you'll find one... As for figuring it out there are lots of write ups, Google is definitely your friend on something like this,, you can learn a lot about it
Old 08-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i'd just find the motor out of a super coupe...but you can piece a kit

-Roots blower
-SC blower top
-SC lower intake
-SC rear blower intake with SC TB
-Rear intake (from IC to lower intake)
-SC thermostat housing
-SC jackshaft pulley bracket
-SC PS pump bracket
-SC crank pulley
-SC water pump and pulley
-PS pump pulley (you can us your mustang pump)
-SC tensioner pulleys (all 3)
-if using the SC block/crank then use the 94-95 neutral balanced dampener with exeter gear, some dampeners off the F150 will work as well.
-if using the mustang block/crank then use you stock mustang dampener
-if using the SC block/crank then use the SC flywheel/flexplate
-if using the mustang block/crank then use the mustang flywheel/flexplate
-Mustang or SC starter will be fine, they are the same
-Mustang headers
-SC heads are better but Mustang heads would probably be fine (SC heads are supposedly a little stronger)
-SC injectors or eqivilent plus matching MAF
-89-93 SC came with 30# injectors and 55mm MAF
-94-95 came with 36# injectors and 70mm MAF
-all cooling hoses
-SC thorttle cable
-SC throttle cable bracket
-MUSTANG EEC
-MUSTANG wiring harness
-wire to lengthen wiring harness connectors
-extra cooling hoses for custom work
-MUSTANG timing chain cover or 94-95 SC timing chain cover
-MUSTANG crank sensor
-MUSTANG or SC alt will work, MUSATNG better sicne it has the extra connect on it, but will work without it for the SC alt, need to change pulleys if using the Mustang Alt. I believe the Mustang alt is more powerful as well, not exactly sure.
-SC AC compressor
-custom AC lines
-custom air inlet needed
-SC intercooler should work, not sure how well the SC intercooler tubes will clear but they should
or use a custom IC setup like me [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
-Mustang motor mounts
-SC valve covers
-Mustang DIS module, don't need the SC one.
-SC oil cooler (not needed but good to have)
-Mustng rad will work, but if using the SC IC then might be easier to us ethe SC rad its a little smaller though but works for the SC guys fine.
-Major tuning
-SC coil pack bracket (mustang coil pack should work but I have the SC coil pack as well)

Now, how hard it is?

Well that all depends, if you have the complete motor it will be a lot easier, basically just drop the motor in and customise the wiring and hoses and a few other things. Finding all the needed parts is the hard part, where as a complete motor has everything you need.

A lot of custom work is needed to get everything hooked up, I had to make custon cooling hoses where the heater core is, I had to cut the throttel cable bracket to clear the hoses so I could not use the cruise control cable, so no cruise. The EGR needed to be deleted sicne there is very little room where it hooks up, the engien is very close to the firewall, I may try and get it to work with customising the EGR just for emissions, not sure yet. You will also need a very good tune to make this setup work, trust me, I have been there. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] You will need to make a custom air inlet from the airfilter to the TB, thats not too hard, also if using a custom IC setup, then thats all got to be made as well, piping, brackets IC etc. The SC motor has 2 extra sensors they are the knock sensor and oil level sensor, we can live without these, and besides our mustang harness will not plug into them so we can't sue them anyways, all other sensors will work, just need to lengthen wires to reach them. With my custom IC setup I had to moive my battery to the trunk as well, but if you use the stock SC IC then you'll be fine.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

What's a pretty accurate price for one? Just so I know for reference whether I'm getting jipped. Btw really appreciate the help guys
Old 08-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

depends on which way you go about it..expect to spend a few grand in total for everything

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I would just do some suspension work with some wheels and save up before you decide where you want to go with it, supercharge /swap this way you have the money to do it right. You'll be happy you did in the long run
Old 08-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

i agree...i did just a small handful of cosmetic and suspension upgrades and i couldn't be happier driving my car daily no matter how slow it is

Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i'd just find the motor out of a super coupe...but you can piece a kit
No offence, but there is noting easy or reasonably priced about putting this kit together. The most expensive pieces become the hardest to find. Do a search and find out how hard the parts are to come buy unless you find the whole set together as a package deal.

You basically need the top half of a newer 3.8 or 4.2 and a tune. With the 4.2 you need rods, cam, and rockers if you want to break into the engine. It is all posted at the top with the exclusion of them telling you, YOU NEED A TUNE.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #15

So what you're saying is Im better off replacing my engine with the sc, I have an auto tranny atm would that link up accordingly or would I have to swap out the rearend as well? But holy f*** that was eye opening and comprehensive, still I gotta thank you again for baring with me
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
No offence, but there is noting easy or reasonably priced about putting this kit together. The most expensive pieces become the hardest to find. Do a search and find out how hard the parts are to come buy unless you find the whole set together as a package deal.

You basically need the top half of a newer 3.8 or 4.2 and a tune. With the 4.2 you need rods, cam, and rockers if you want to break bad in the engine. It is all posted at the top with the exclusion of them telling you, YOU NEED A TUNE.
you don't go to many NMRA events do you? you find super coupe parts and motors in just about every stall. if you ever need a hard to find part or good deal come to the world finals.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Jt, you would definitely need rear end /suspension work to support any hp, the tranny is fine though
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #18

Yeah the tune is something ill look into scratching off my list asap, I was looking at the bama sf3/x3 power flash tuner, would that work? And there's a kit (powerpak) on super six motorsports but the base price is almost $3000, a bit oit of my budget at this time
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

like i said i'd start a savings account mod...by the time you save that 3k you may decide to trade up

Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The tuner is a good choice for an upgrade, however you'll need a dyno tune with any real motor work. Ssm makes good products from what I've heard but that's one more thing to consider while you save up to do your upgrades. You will need an 8.8 rear end and some suspension upgrades to support it so those are good mods in the mean time the ti will see an increase in over all performance with
Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #21

Dpred, that's what I figured but thanks a lot haha and yeah I havent been to any of the meets to be completely honest aha is there a site I could look at to find out where the next meet may be, and does it come to canada?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

I'm gonna make a list and post my plan, tell me what you think, this might take like 5-10mins
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

i'm sure canada has a mustang meet or too you may need to check google for a local club.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #23

Ive always wanted to build up a car from stock so I think I'm gonna stick with my baby and bare through the expenses and headaches, for both sentimental value and for the pure pride and joy when she reaches the finished prod. *still writing my list out*
Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm at the point where I'm gonna do all the supporting mods while I save, and then either swap in a 4v 4.6 or a 5.4 modular engine after I've had my fun with my six.. Not sure though lol that's why the savings is there so I can keep playing with ideas
Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you don't go to many NMRA events do you? you find super coupe parts and motors in just about every stall. if you ever need a hard to find part or good deal come to the world finals.
You are right, I just follow the internet. I have a lot to learn about super coups. I am all ears.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
You are right, I just follow the internet. I have a lot to learn about super coups. I am all ears.
no problem...sometimes you gotta get out from behind the computer and go to events

Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no problem...sometimes you gotta get out from behind the computer and go to events
I do need to social market myself and car but my DL is suspended for something I did not do, long story. The only local events we have are Cruzn The Coast. Are you from NC?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

no but i'll be in NC sunday on a big mustang meet near the Dragons Tail on the border

Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #29

The plan (swapping the blower on my 3.8):

-eaton M90 blower
-sc blower hat
-sc lower intake manifold
-sc inlet plenum
-sc air intake tube
- 94-95 stang gt throttle body
-sc upper intake manifold
-sc thermostat housing
-sc jackshaft pulley bracket
-sc power steering pump bracket
-sc crank pulley
-sc waterpump
-sc tensioner pulleys
-venom 30Lb/hr injectors
-sc fuel rail
-sc throttle cable bracket
(Weld base of sc bracket to end of stang bracket)
- 94-95 sc timing chain cover
-sc intercooler
-sc valve covers
-sc coil pack bracket
-sc throttle position sensor
-sc throttle pos. Sensor pigtail
(Solder to wiring harness)
-sc intake air temp. Sensor
(Solder to wiring harness)

Extra important details**

-replace sc water temp. Sensor to use as much of wiring harness as possible

-bend closest breakline facing rear of the car coming out of the master cyl. To make room for lower intercooler tube

Extras**

-CAI
-auto tranny perfect shift kit
-LOK limited slip differential 7.5" 28 spline
-ford racing alum. Drive shaft
-screaming demon coil pack
-3.73 gears

Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

On your extras :

Skip the 7.5 tlok.. It's weak and will break. Get a used 8.8 rear end from a gt. They come with a limited slip dif and you can find them with gears or have them installed cheaper than buying a differential and having it installed

By perfect shift I'm assuming you have an auto? The shift kit from AM is relatively cheap and a good choice

You're also going to need new suspension components : shocks /struts, sway bars, sub frame connectors, lca's. Those are good basics to keep you on the ground and you'll need new tires that grip well too (which is a good time to get new wheels for a good deal when your tires are done)

Also you'll need to be able to stop so a good set of rotors, pads and sst brake lines will improve that area.

You have to make sure you cover the supporting areas like these to truly get what you can out of the car other wise it won't be able to perform how you want

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Also, skip the screamin demon coil pack. It is a general opinion here and several other places that oem is the best and if it needs to be replaced to stick with that other wise it can be left alone. You're better off making sure you have a good set of wires and plugs
Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Where'd you hear a 7.5 is weak? Granted I'd get an 8.8 just out of cost but 7.5s can handle power pretty well. More so then he will probably make in his build.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe not "weak" but not very strong. Sure it'll probably handle power but for the price that he will spend on gears, tlok and install ($800+) type better off with the 8.8 I know in my area I can get them with 3.73 gears for about 200-250 and that install of the entire rear can be done yourself, or much cheaper by a mechanic. So price wise plus the extra strength it makes more sense I think. But hey just my .02 obviously the 7.5 upgrade is still a option to consider
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sometimes it's better to have a built 7.5 that you know where it's even and how many miles as opposed to a used 8.8 with unknown mileage and gears. Used and abused lol. My axle bearing passengers side is going out so I'm just upgrading at an 8.8 it'll be cheaper than fixing my bearing and getting t-lock and gears.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
They make good aftermarket internals for the 7.5, just the main caps get weak under too much power, and if you're like me low fluid and rompin on it speeds up that process haha

I have an auburn locker I'm trying to get rid of if you go the 7.5 route OP

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hey David, I might just replace my bearings. If op doesn't hit you up, how much would you sell it for?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang