Weird HP gains? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Weird HP gains?

So I was going through google looking up stuff for my car and cam across a thread that had some information about building up your car. So me being me I read though it seeing that it had mostly the same things till i got to something that peaked my curiosity with a link in the description. So I checked it out and it talks about using a Ford Windstar intake ( or their kit) and getting 7hp/15ft-lbs and it is a great pair with other mods plus its lighter than the original intake. But their kit is $425 which is a lot of money for 7 hp. But quick peak at Car-part says 40-100 for it. So i figured id go look around at a few yards and see what they would ask for one since I know them and maybe consider it plus a new CAI. But my question is is this really worth it? Have any of you done it? And what Should I be looking for when pulling parts?

BTW here is the link to the kit on VAP auto
Right Here

But if anything it looks better than what is on it I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
You need the kit parts for a reason. Do you want your mechanic to find that out the hard way? You will give him a free headache LOL. If you ask the right questions you will get a better understanding.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My understanding, totally worth it. Better than your heavy metal intake manifold. Windstar intake is plastic so less heat. Coupled with the 4.2 stroker and you got yourself a real powerful V6. davidcseifert has both and a great tune. He eats GT's for breakfast
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

For now I'm staying away from like the stroker kit as this is just a DD for college and I'm looking to just clean it up/ get a little more umph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
You need the kit parts for a reason. Do you want your mechanic to find that out the hard way? You will give him a free headache LOL. If you ask the right questions you will get a better understanding.
Well he wont worry as I plan on doing this myself. But what reasons would you be talking about? I'm just looking at this as not only are they used intakes but if i can do it for cheaper I should I dont mind making a big weekend project out of it. It does look like there are a few relocation brackets that I might need to buy (or have my friend with a mill make) but other than that and a used intake what else should I be looking at?

BTW on a side note I might be deleting the ERG so I dont any need that stuff for relocation
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NhFireSlayer View Post
For now I'm staying away from like the stroker kit as this is just a DD for college and I'm looking to just clean it up/ get a little more umph.

Well he wont worry as I plan on doing this myself. But what reasons would you be talking about? I'm just looking at this as not only are they used intakes but if i can do it for cheaper I should I dont mind making a big weekend project out of it. It does look like there are a few relocation brackets that I might need to buy (or have my friend with a mill make) but other than that and a used intake what else should I be looking at?
http://vapauto.com/
Look at this sight. The first thing you need is a cold air intake spacer. You need to shave the metal off the intake spacer till it looks like the one on the sight. The second thing you need is a metal cold air intake. The cold air intake has to be bent with a pipe bender to look like the cold air intake on the sight.
This is the first 2 big things. Are you still interested? You can get 8hp from a under drive pulley

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you have experience working with cars, it won't be a weekend project. I think that the stroker is easier than the windstar. At least that's what someone told me who has done it on his car
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
http://vapauto.com/
Look at this sight. The first thing you need is a cold air intake spacer. You need to shave the metal off the intake spacer till it looks like the one on the sight. The second thing you need is a metal cold air intake. The cold air intake has to be bent with a pipe bender to look like the cold air intake on the sight.
This is the first 2 big things. Are you still interested? You can get 8hp from a under drive pulley
metal cai? you can use pvc and build a CAI for under $20 for a windstar intake...super easy and you can find the parts at Home Depot or Lowes..as for the intake spacer it can be fabbed at any machine shop. What i've seen done is someone with a windstar will take the measurements for the person wanting the intake...with it either a spacer can be machined or a pre exhisting TB spacer can be cut. as for comparing it to UDPs...i'm still waiting to see a dyno sheet of 3.8 UDPs getting 8 hp...now if you mean crank hp maybe but not to the wheels....the windstar gains are dyno proven to the wheels at even more then 8. Sorry to come off so sharp i just drove 4 hours from the Mustang Evolution TN meet so i have a slight headache, but still in the end this is a great mod. if it could clear my STB i'd do it

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

metal cai? you can use pvc and build a CAI for under $20 for a windstar intake...super easy and you can find the parts at Home Depot or Lowes..as for the intake spacer it can be fabbed at any machine shop. What i've seen done is someone with a windstar will take the measurements for the person wanting the intake...with it either a spacer can be machined or a pre exhisting TB spacer can be cut. as for comparing it to UDPs...i'm still waiting to see a dyno sheet of 3.8 UDPs getting 8 hp...now if you mean crank hp maybe but not to the wheels....the windstar gains are dyno proven to the wheels at even more then 8. Sorry to come off so sharp i just drove 4 hours from the Mustang Evolution TN meet so i have a slight headache, but still in the end this is a great mod. if it could clear my STB i'd do it
As David told me "windstar>stb" lol but couldn't you get the stb cut and fabbed to clear the windstar? Or would that compromise the integrity and functionality of the stb?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
As David told me "windstar>stb" lol but couldn't you get the stb cut and fabbed to clear the windstar? Or would that compromise the integrity and functionality of the stb?
for what i do i'd rather have the STB over the extra power....it's not really a concern, but yes it'd make it weak. unless i found like a STB made for a terminator

Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

for what i do i'd rather have the STB over the extra power....it's not really a concern, but yes it'd make it weak. unless i found like a STB made for a terminator
I thought so. You'd have to get a cowl hood as well.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought so. You'd have to get a cowl hood as well.
shouldn't....the termi STB wraps around the back of an eaton so it should fit the stock hood..only one way to know for sure lol

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

shouldn't....the termi STB wraps around the back of an eaton so it should fit the stock hood..only one way to know for sure lol
I've seen the windstar intake on a stock hood. Iac relocated off to the side, not like David's that's on top. But the hood closed and rubbed on the top of the intake slightly so you had to close the hood carefully. Unless the stb wraps around the front then I don't think it'll fit
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've seen the windstar intake on a stock hood. Iac relocated off to the side, not like David's that's on top. But the hood closed and rubbed on the top of the intake slightly so you had to close the hood carefully. Unless the stb wraps around the front then I don't think it'll fit
well here's one that'd fit

http://store.kennybrown.com/files/im...0Installed.jpg

Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Damn. Must be expensive. Let us know if you do it. Well lets not stray off topic too much lol
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I did not list all the possible ways of doing this. Personally, I think PVC cold air intakes look geto. Even if you paint them black. You can also get a exhaust pipe and have it bent for $20.
I did not realize it was rear wheel hp. Most people give chp .I believe the hp gains on a udp because you can not tune a udp.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I did not list all the possible ways of doing this. Personally, I think PVC cold air intakes look geto. Even if you paint them black. You can also get a exhaust pipe and have it bent for $20.
I did not realize it was rear wheel hp. Most people give chp .I believe the hp gains on a udp because you can not tune a udp.
a painted pvc intake looks the same as a name brand intake so i'm not sure how that's geto ...and if you have an exhaust shop bend tubing it will have a very thin bend to it restricting air flow unless you pay for a mandrel bend....will cost more then $20 for that. as for the udp you're forgetting percentages will change how they perform. i think i'm over thinking things now lol

Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
a painted pvc intake looks the same as a name brand intake so i'm not sure how that's geto ...and if you have an exhaust shop bend tubing it will have a very thin bend to it restricting air flow unless you pay for a mandrel bend....will cost more then $20 for that. as for the udp you're forgetting percentages will change how they perform. i think i'm over thinking things now lol
I wish I could show you the pic. of the black plastic pvc intake after 2 months. I built one for my 4.2 intake. It was not one of my proudest moments.
Everything has a minim and maxim performance gain. are you referring to the 2 different size udp.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

i'd love to see your pic because we made them for a few stangs including a friends terminator and they have been used for years without issue. and yes lol

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i'd love to see your pic because we made them for a few stangs including a friends terminator and they have been used for years without issue. and yes lol
DO YOU THINK I AM LIEING? You show pics. since you think they are so cool. Doesn't matter it's all opinion. LOL someone will like gold painted excrement.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I have to say it almost seems like a pretty worth while mod (especially paired with a good intake and a tune) im surprised I haven't seen anything for this pop up before in my searches. Im going to do some more research about doing this mod myself i saw a few posts about people doing it and not having to go through a lot of trouble. Though I wonder if there is an alternative to buying a TB spacer and having it machined?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
DO YOU THINK I AM LIEING? You show pics. since you think they are so cool. Doesn't matter it's all opinion. LOL someone will like gold painted excrement.
i think you should calm down you're getting worked up lol...and ok since you asked.

painted gloss black and drilled holes for sensor grommets..

here's a fox

another v6

and actually you can defecate gold...

This Gold Pill Makes You Poop Glitter | Incredible Things

and you're right it's all opinion...

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NhFireSlayer View Post
I have to say it almost seems like a pretty worth while mod (especially paired with a good intake and a tune) im surprised I haven't seen anything for this pop up before in my searches. Im going to do some more research about doing this mod myself i saw a few posts about people doing it and not having to go through a lot of trouble. Though I wonder if there is an alternative to buying a TB spacer and having it machined?
there is...a 2.5" cowl would allow you the clearance you need. the TB spacer is just used to let the TB clear a stock hood

Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

i think you should calm down you're getting worked up lol...and ok since you asked.

here's a fox

another v6

Not trying to get in the drama but man those look even better than my sr one from am
Blovett55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

another v6

I like how the throttle cables are set up on this one makes a DIY look a little easier, maybe?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

no drama...just trying to help the OP out on his options

Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

here's a fox

another v6

I'd rather drink Goldschlager n Red Bull. cinnamon delicious
I see, cut the ugly ends off and it looks good

Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

BTW if i can pull you guys attention for a min. Should i do a PCV delete (ie breathers) or should i extend the air hoses and relocate everything?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

just get breather filters and delete

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

interesting f150 manifold concept - V6Power Messageboard stb
delete is better

Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just get breather filters and delete
Thats what I thought Im gonna call it a night for now but ive got some of the research done, a trip to the junk yard this week and my friends house (about fabing parts) and I will post what I find

But on a side note I was reading through VAP auto's site and he has stopped making the kit
He is still making some of the parts (TB Spacer, relocation brackets) but the kit he isnt doing right now. So I will end up having to do a DIY anyways
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Both cars have the same mods, and ran on the same dyno, except the upper intake varies from stock (starts at 3000rpms) and windstar (starts at 2500rpms). Notice the large gains in power under the curve as compared to stock, it's very well worth the effort to do.

FYI: bbk stb fits over the windstar and clears stock hood, have seen it multiple times, google it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3328835087.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	124620  

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Sorry to jump into a thread that is already a few weeks old, BUT, when contemplating a Windstar conversion you have to consider one additional data point......

MPG! I gained 4 city and 4 highway with JUST the Windstar upper (VAP Auto kit). I bought the 65mm TB for a few extra $$, but aside from that the car was completely stock yet, at that time. Yes, I still had the restrictive single exhaust when I installed this black beauty.

Record MPG to date is 37.3 mpg from Watertown SD to Hampton MN and back during Car Craft Summer Nationals weekend. I drove US Hwy 212 which is mostly 55 mph and LOADED with cops... I was pretty much forced to go the speed limit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang