Tinted headlights peeling? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tinted headlights peeling?

So recently I bought a pair of tinted headlights off of CL and something is peeling on them. Has anyone had this problem and is there anyway to fix this? Here's what they look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1518729558.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	124473

Name:	image-1510792100.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	124474

Name:	image-189996562.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	124475
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Were they prof tinted or did someone throw some tint stuff you can bu on rbay for 15 bucks on it?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

looks like VHT and clear coat...if you wanna fix it go ahead and wet sand it all off and start from scratch

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
looks like VHT and clear coat...if you wanna fix it go ahead and wet sand it all off and start from scratch
It seems to be clear coated. Do smoked headlights come with clear coat on them? And I feel like wet sanding the headlights would scratch the lenses. Has anyone here wet sanded headlights before?
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000stanguy View Post
It seems to be clear coated. Do smoked headlights come with clear coat on them? And I feel like wet sanding the headlights would scratch the lenses. Has anyone here wet sanded headlights before?
anytime someone smokes headlights they'd clear them unless they want them to fade in the sun. as for wet sanding that's the point of the wet part so you don't scratch the lenses beyond repair. you start with a 400 grit....go to a 1000...then finish with a 2000+...wet sanding the whole time. then polish with plastx or something like that. then it'll be ready for a re tint

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

They do and yes iv done a full headlight restoration on my first car that included wet sanding, it's easy a drill with a little sanding pad makes the process much easier
We used a 3m kit my gpa bought, prob still sells, and lot of materials in it, he got wen I was 16 and wev only used bought half the kit
Blovett55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yes they still sell those kits...run about $20

Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes they still sell those kits...run about $20
Ok so yea if you wanna do a full clean up on them, I'd recommend this, my first car(ford tempo) lol had extremely yellowed lights so did this and they shined up like new

Process is something like clean them, wet sand, buff, and buff with 3ms compound that fixed it, not sure if its just a clear coat paste or some kind of filler but highly worth it if you want to keep your existing lights, except I don't know if you can sand tinted headlights, mainly because I don't know if its just a film over stock lights or the lens is actually made colored different, slo probably can answer that
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

looking at his pictures they are spray tinted stock black housings...so the sand kit should rip it all up nicely

Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
looking at his pictures they are spray tinted stock black housings...so the sand kit should rip it all up nicely
Sorry for the confusion these headlights are not sprayed with vht or have any tint laid on them. They have smoked lenses that are like the dark smoked headlights from American muscle but probably from somewhere else. Would it still work to wet sand the clear coat off?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion these headlights are not sprayed with vht or have any tint laid on them. They have smoked lenses that are like the dark smoked headlights from American muscle but probably from somewhere else. Would it still work to wet sand the clear coat off?
My guess would be the ebay version?
And yes it will work
I do recommend looking into that 3m headlight restoration kit, it worked amazing on mine and slo said it was only like $20
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

if they are smoked lenses then yes wet sand the old clear off and re clear them...

Old 08-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blovett55 View Post

My guess would be the ebay version?
And yes it will work
I do recommend looking into that 3m headlight restoration kit, it worked amazing on mine and slo said it was only like $20
Ya I'm going to probably do the 3m headlight restoration. Thanks for all of your help everyone. I will tell you all if this works.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Mine are doing same thing. But I bought them like that new. I'm just going to buy new ones, so I don't have to deal with the work of tinting them.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang