Break down upgrades to suspension in STAGES for me please! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to ASSEMbler
Break down upgrades to suspension in STAGES for me please!

Know any vendors that sell GOOD complete drop kits for 2 inch drop?
I'm talking springs, shocks, struts.

I would really not spent the $$ on C&C plates in stage one either.
I really can't see a 1.5 drop, it's barely noticable.

O.k. I just looks at kennybrown and steeda. There's more parts than in the space shuttle...

Let's say stages ala steeda..

Stage one: Springs, struts, shocks , right?

Stage two?? subframes?

Stage three??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Upper and lower control arms is good, that is for the rear. I wouldnt' even mess with aftermarket front control arms on a v6 car or even a street GT.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

I would also recommend you take at look at http://www.globalwest.net/mustang%2079-98.htm#Subframe%20connectors: for subframe connectors, lower control arms, and other assorted great suspension parts.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 06:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So springs, then control arms and subframe connects?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well, you can do anything to it you want to, but those are common suspension mods, yes.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSEMbler
So springs, then control arms and subframe connects?
right-on IMO. with springs get shorter endlinks, and don't lower it below 1.5" no matter what ricer tells you otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Upper and lower control arms is good,
sorry, going to have to disagree with you, i think uppers are a waste, go tq arm instead.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

O.K. 1.5 !

So what springs do you think would be good? The ones on ebay seem.. well.. very shoddy.

What you think is easily done. Strut. Spings for sure.
What about sway? C&C plates scare me. I wouldn't know how to adjust them.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Just put them on, the wheel alignment guys will adjust them to align your car, it will have to be aligned after they are installed. My main reason for going to aftermarket upper control arms is the stock ones look weak compared to aftermarket lowers. I have a matched set of fairly inexpensive upper and lowers on my GT, made by Granatelli.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

H&R Race are good, Steedas are good, Eibach are fine, don't get the ones that go over 1.5 inch and you are better off, esp without C/C plates. Ford Cs Bs, Fs whatever are fine, but you will most likely have to cut them to get the drop you want. OH, and yes on the shorter endlinks, I have those on my GT also, I think its on my mods list, not sure.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
First Stage: Rear sway bar, strut tower brace, weld in full length subframes, K member brace, lowering springs.

Second Stage: Struts/Shocks (possibly when you install springs....), Lower control arms, bump steer kit, steering rack bushings.

Third Stage: Panhard bar, tq arm, tubular K member, coil overs all around.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:17 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

SpectorV, not saying the things in Stage III aren't good stuff, but I wouldn't do that stuff to my GT, I especially wouldn't do it to a V6, and I don't even think I would do any of that stuff to a Cobra if I had one. I am real happy with my handling as is, I am going to get 10.5 wide Bullitts for the rear of my GT in the next few months, other than that I don't forsee a lot more suspension mods soon, I may upgrade later to Global West Subframe Connectors.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

i just went from where to start to where to end if you want the ultimate well gettign to the ultimate... and in all reality the BEST mustang for handlign purposes is teh v6... better weight ratio front adn back so in the end the v6 will out perform any v8 mustang in the corners all day long with the same mods lol i wouldnt spend all that much eitehr but if you loved autox you might.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

I see where you are coming from. I would like to have a Cobra 1RS swapped in if I could do it without spending a fortune, I would think that would be the way to get ultimate Mustang handling. :
Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What I want is the car to stick to the road and corner a bit better.
I made the mistake of having very wide tires/rim combo put on without
upgrading the suspension. It is downright dangerous to drive in the rain
in 18x9 low profile wide tires in my car. It is great in dry weather.
With winter coming up I want to upgrade the suspension now.

I need to plant the car firmly. I am guessing this is shock/strut/spring.

Can anyone recommend something and a web source.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

www.thunderbolt-motorsports.com also there is Global West, I recommend their subframe connectors, and lower control arms. http://www.globalwest.net/mustang%2079-98.htm#Subframe%20connectors: thunderbolt is a discount warehouse seller of Steeda, and quite a few other quality manufacturers of mustang aftermarket parts.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:42 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

http://www.v6stangs.com/forum/redirect.php?banner_id=4 Also check our sponsor CrossRoadzDirect for several Quality brands of suspension parts at great prices too!!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Cool.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
SpectorV, not saying the things in Stage III aren't good stuff, but I wouldn't do that stuff to my GT, I especially wouldn't do it to a V6,
V6's are closer to 50/50 weight and are better open trackers/autoxers, especially with a IRS plopped in the back. i almost did that within the past 6 months too.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

IRS swap

I was going to do a swap with Ahentep of 3.8 up in Danville, but the more he talked about it the more money it looked like it was going to cost me, also I had a lot of aftermarket stuff that he didn't have the Cobra equivalent of, like my control arms, cat back, etc. Just didn't look like a good deal so I backed off, then he decided to get rid of his Cobra cause he got married and bought a house, or was going to.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSEMbler
What I want is the car to stick to the road and corner a bit better.
I made the mistake of having very wide tires/rim combo put on without
upgrading the suspension. It is downright dangerous to drive in the rain
in 18x9 low profile wide tires in my car. It is great in dry weather.
With winter coming up I want to upgrade the suspension now.

I need to plant the car firmly. I am guessing this is shock/strut/spring.

Can anyone recommend something and a web source.
I will be perfectly honest all the suspension upgrades will not effect the handling of your car in bad weather. 18X9 tires are big and wide and unless you have all-season tires you will hydroplane. Actually skinny tires hydroplane less. I am not saying not to upgrade your suspension but you might look at the tires you have. they might not be the best rain tire
Old 12-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea in the rain you will still haev issues.... just learn to drive easier and be careful.... if your car is like mine i can control the fishtail to a point and once its past that its gone, i did a couple 180s before lol (in a parking lot) not trying to just late for work.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

yea in the rain you will still haev issues.... just learn to drive easier and be careful.... if your car is like mine i can control the fishtail to a point and once its past that its gone, i did a couple 180s before lol (in a parking lot) not trying to just late for work.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Man, my stock v6 has problems. I was trying to make it across town in a hurry and was making a left when the car decided to keep going around. So I was gonna have some fun and have a nice controlled slide for a little ways. I didn't see the bump coming up so I ended up backwards and locked it up cause there were other cars. I slid about a foot and stopped. Looked behind me cause I heard someone yell and this old guy in a towncar was about to have a heart attack. He yelled so loud I heard him over my stereo with my windows up. Quite funny now that I look back at it.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The only thing I can think to do right now is to put about 150 pounds of sandbags above the rear wheels until winter is over.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

get some good snowtires for the winter.

as for suspension stages..

1) full length subframes, springs/dampers, CC plates if needed

2) LCAs, new bushings

3) panhard bar, coilovers

You really need to do springs and shocks/struts at the same time. Otherwise you doing it the ghetto way. Your incresaing your spring rate while keeping stock dampers? no thx

I plan to go right to coilovers whenever I do my suspension. Id like to make the car handle really well and still ride nice. And coilovers do that with a nice spring rate.

Subframes should really be #1 as stiffening up the chassis really helps. LCA's are nice as well, UCA's you can do without. to replace all the bushings would really be a ***** and isnt needed, but it DOES help if your hardcore, maybe that should be in #3.

Panhard bar is the way to go to keep the rear planted. You dont really need a torque arm unless your making a lot of torque, hence the name.

If you plan on makin ga lot of power and are a 5spd or auto with big stall, welding the battle boxes isnt a bad idea either. Helps keep things intact. Of course an 8.8 helps there as well

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

I think sandbags are cheaper HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Old 12-25-2003, 12:56 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to duncan mcdougal
HD upper control arms will do a great deal to prevent to side to side movement of your rear end in hard cornering and they will not lead to binding. The uppers should be included in the second stage also. I think the panhard bar and torque arm are a bit to much and the expense outways the benefits.
duncan mcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:39 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

UCA's are not required on a street car unless you are going hardcore drag racing. but better LCA's would help with improving the suspension for better handling

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang