Motor swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Arkansas
Motor swap

I was wondering how hard and costly it would be to swap my 2004 v6 engine out with a 2004 v8 engine. Also where would the best place be to buy a new v8 engine.

PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
Fairly difficult if you have no experience. It would be much easier selling the sixxer and buying a gt. im sure eBay has some

MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Arkansas
That's what I thought, but with college racking up debt I think I will save the buying a new car for the future! Thanks though.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Missouri
Trade your car in for something.
2003 GT - full bolts ons, suspension, and drag radials
1998 cummins - 150hp injectors | FASS fuel kit | 4" straight pipe | 5" lift | BHAF | 20" wheels | edge juice w/ attitude | built auto trans with stall | closing in on 900tq | bigger turbo soon..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: California
You'd have your car down for a while... Trust me it takes time if you don't know how to do it
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Delaware
That's what I just started doing I got a 03 v6 and just got a Mach 1 block trans computer and pistons and rods the other day but it will be time consuming which doesn't bother me I'm not pulling anything out yet until I find a beater to ride around in
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Region: California
I was considering swapping in 01 gt, I even got a parts car. Backed down after I found out I would have too swap EVERYTHING!(Would have to tear it down to the bones)
mines a 1995 mustang though, should have a little less to swap on a 99-04.

It's a good thing I still got use out of the parts car, the rear-end and the cold air intake fit on my car.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
1. Can it be done? - YES, but it's a LOT of work. I've only ever seen a few swaps completed vs a hundred times I've seen it asked about. It's not something you will be able to do in your driveway in one weekend. It's not something for a teenager to do by themselves on their first car... unless you're some sort of mechanic prodigy LOL.

2. How much will it cost? - Anywhere from free, to $1000 or more. Free being possible if you buy a totalled car and part out what you don't need. This will depend on how much you pay for the car itself, and what you can sell on it. If you decide to buy everything separately; the engine may not cost much, but all the little odds and ends will quickly add up to more than your original estimate. A "donor car" is by far the best way to go. That way you can have both cars next to each other, and just take everything out of one car and put it into the other.

3. Can I put XXXX engine in XXXX year car? - You *can* do any swap, but it will make everything a lot easier to stick with a setup that was offered as factory for your year. This way everything will be plug and play, completely factory, no fabrication or custom re-wiring necessary. Custom wiring can quickly turn into a nightmare. The 5.0 and 4.6 K-members are different not a perfect fit if you were to try to swap. Brake pedals differ between 5.0 and 4.6. Fuel systems changed on various years.

4. But I can get a running XXXX engine for only $100 bucks. Can I still put it in XXXX year even though that engine was never offered as factory for my year? - You're on your own buddy!

5. Can I swap from auto to 5 speed at the same time as the engine swap? - That would be the BEST time! You will already be 2/3 of the way there. Basically, the only extra work is to swap pedals and swap shifter. Use search for the specifics. It's been covered many times in the V6 and the V8 forums.

5. What parts will I need to swap? - The short answer is: The engine and related components, the exhaust, the computer and all engine wiring. If going to 4.6 you will also have to swap transmissions, and brake boosters. K members are the same for GT and V6. 94 95 3.8s had motor mounts to fit the 5.0 crossmember. In 96-04 the 3.8s got different mounts to fit the 4.6 crossmember.

6. I can't get a donor car. What parts will I need to get separate?

ALL 94-04

Rear end: Optional. Some V8 guys report beating on the 7.5 rear for years, while some V6 people report breaking them. A 94-98 GT rear will be a direct swap for 94-98 cars. A 94-98 car can also use a foxbody 5.0 8.8 and it will bolt right up. All the axles and brakes and everything from the 94-98 V6 7.5 rear will swap right over to the Fox 8.8. 99-04 cars should use a 99-04 rear because they had wider axles and wider housing than 94-98.

Complete engine - pan to throttle body
Throttle cable
Air intake
Engine accessories w all brackets, lines, wiring, hoses (accessories themselves should be the same for 3.8 & 5.0)
Motor mounts
Complete exhaust
Radiator & hoses
Overflow should be the same
EEC with harness
All engine and trans wiring harnesses
Dash harness
Speedo cluster
CCRM (constant control relay module)
tune or dealer flash

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang