bad cats/overheating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
bad cats/overheating

So a while ago a mechanic told me I might have bad cats. Two months ago my car would over heat. Well i changed all the coolant with more water than antifreeze and some water wetter. Anyways for the past two months since the last overheating the car has been running great. So my question is would bad cats cause over heat or did I change my fluids wrong? It's an 03 sixxer
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't see how cats could cause an engine to overheat.

If it's overheating I would be guessing the water pump or the radiator.
Plenty of things can cause overheating though.

A quick google search did bring up that a clogged catalytic converter can cause overheating by creating too much back pressure.
I think the car would be running sluggish though with a clogged cat.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Well I can hear the fan kick on and if it's the water pump wouldn't it leak coolant. Also when the needle hit H I turned the heater on and the temp went back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
maybe it's not overheating then, might just be the thermostat fluctuating, My temp gauge bounces a little but it always stays cool.

I'm hoping someone else chimes in here, I don't have much hands on experience everything I know I've learned here, or other sites.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to RaysV6
When was the last time u changed the thermostat? Usually a closed thermostat can cause the car to over hear cuz its not allowing fluid to pass through. Just a thought buddy!!
RaysV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaysV6 View Post
When was the last time u changed the thermostat? Usually a closed thermostat can cause the car to over hear cuz its not allowing fluid to pass through. Just a thought buddy!!
And a cheap fix!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Idk if it's ever been changed I just got the car in march. Would I lose a lot of coolant if I change it.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Idk if it's ever been changed I just got the car in march. Would I lose a lot of coolant if I change it.
no not much...just replace with water. and be sure to do a coolant system bleeding when done. if you have never seen it done youtube it. because if you forget to get that trapped air out of the lines it'll over heat faster.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Regular

Bleeding. Is that the same as have the engine on with heater on and rad cap off while squeezing the hose lol. I just drove 10 miles with no problem but I noticed the fan didn't kick in till after I stopped
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lol yeah u can or on top by the egr valve there is a black solid tube with a grey bolt sticking out. That can also help u bleed the air out. Simply very caefully loosen it up, let air out and watch for coolant, then close it rinse and repeat.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Regular

Well seeing how a thermostat is only $10 I'll be replacing it but like i said earlier I drove the car more than 10 miles with ac on and no prob. How can I rule out the bad cat theory.
P.s the day it over heated I had the car idle for 10 minutes with ac on high if you think that might have caused it
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well the cooling system is composed of different parts, the rad the thermo the water pump. Not all the time but sometimes the rad could clog if someone put stop leak in it, overtime it will break loose and find its way inside the engine. Thats when you would need to have a full complete flush done cuz the pressure needed to push it through isnt enough with a water hose.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
When my cats went bad the pipes started leaking near the headers. The fumes want to go some where.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Regular

So if it is bad cats can I get those high flow cats from am and just replace two instead of all 4
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Have u taken ur whip to an ehuast shop and confirmed ur cats are bas?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

8 yrs or 80,000 miles if ur within that and the cats are bad, dealership will replace for free
Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Have u taken ur whip to an ehuast shop and confirmed ur cats are bas?

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

8 yrs or 80,000 miles if ur within that and the cats are bad, dealership will replace for free
I took it to a mechanic not an actual exhaust shop and he said it might be that and it's 10 years old already
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have bad cats as well but i havent expierenced my car over heating. V6 or v8? I am weighing options and i think if your going to replace your cats you might as well just put long tube headers on, but dont i need a tuner? Am rep told me no but at some point you will need to get the tune installed. Thats my plan to eleviate the cats and since i live in ohio i do not have emissions or inspections.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Regular

V6 and I do have inspection here in Arizona. Maybe I do have bad cats but it just happened to be something else that triggered the overheating
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Its possible bro!! Have your rad flushed or pressure tested, that should tell u if a leak is possible or something isnt working properly
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If you have bad cats the situation will progress worse and get a fully stopped up. Save up some cash. You can by 2 cats from AM but you will need the pipe to go with the cats.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
If you have bad cats the situation will progress worse and get a fully stopped up. Save up some cash. You can by 2 cats from AM but you will need the pipe to go with the cats.
Can I ask the shop to maybe cut the two front ones and weld the am cats in it's place. I looked online and oem is like $800
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Can I ask the shop to maybe cut the two front ones and weld the am cats in it's place. I looked online and oem is like $800
Bad news, shorty cats are shorter, not the same length, and you will need more pipe. All 4 cats will need to be removed. If you go to a muffler shop, they have a pipe bender and can quote you a price.
You will throw a check engine light. The check engine light can be stopped with mill eliminators.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang