Performance Mods for my 98 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to anthonys98
Performance Mods for my 98

I bought this V6 9 months ago, just looking for a good place to start as far as increasing the performance/speed/horsepower etc.. It's an auto, and the engine is completely stock as well as the rest of the car, except for the rims and exhaust. I'm no car expert, but I know the basics and am looking to learn more. Any helpful input is welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-729553337.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	125030  
anthonys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys98 View Post
I bought this V6 9 months ago, just looking for a good place to start as far as increasing the performance/speed/horsepower etc.. It's an auto, and the engine is completely stock as well as the rest of the car, except for the rims and exhaust. I'm no car expert, but I know the basics and am looking to learn more. Any helpful input is welcome
Tell us what your goals are and I'm sure the people on here can recommend a ideal setup for you. Right now, stock, you're at 150hp to the crank so let's say 140rwhp. You can start with a dual exhaust (there's a sticky on the different types like h pipes, x pipes, or prochambers). Then from there you can do a cold air intake, rear end swap from a gt, different torque converter, and there's also a gas pedal mod you can do for super cheap that will get you to WOT a lot faster.
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectTurboV6 View Post

Tell us what your goals are and I'm sure the people on here can recommend a ideal setup for you. Right now, stock, you're at 150hp to the crank so let's say 140rwhp. You can start with a dual exhaust (there's a sticky on the different types like h pipes, x pipes, or prochambers). Then from there you can do a cold air intake, rear end swap from a gt, different torque converter, and there's also a gas pedal mod you can do for super cheap that will get you to WOT a lot faster.
Yea this guy has it together. What's your goals for the car? What range do you wanna be in for HP? Do you wanna go all motor, or some time of boost application? Or nitrous? Start there and people on here can point you in the right direction
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i'd put on a nice suspension...mach one lip (looks great on sn95's)...and tint the windows...then sit back and think what you want from the car long term

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
cold air intake and a tuner, that's a good start right there

4.2 swap, split-port swap, Dual exhaust(unless thats what you already have) are things you could do later on. Maybe a m90(singleport heads) or m112(splitport heads) if you have the budget.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
A j mod if you can still find them by VAP. It was designed by a master Ford mechanic to improve the transmissions shift points and fluid flow

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a drill and a steady hand you could do it yourself, Isn't a jmod just where you drill a few more holes in a certain places to allow more fluid to flow?
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes drill holes in the right places that all
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 98 sr springs, shocks and struts kyb, single flow master,msd wires accell super coil pack ngk plugs,cai ,bbk pulley, bamma chip turner and exterior mods love it next is 8.8 with 4.10 and upper adb lower arms and rear sway bar its expensive once u go tl far its expensive
Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130824_033831.png
Views:	90
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	125436   Click image for larger version

Name:	post_image1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	125437  

Fourloko530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to anthonys98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummert_96v6 View Post

Yea this guy has it together. What's your goals for the car? What range do you wanna be in for HP? Do you wanna go all motor, or some time of boost application? Or nitrous? Start there and people on here can point you in the right direction
I would like to go all motor and stay away from boosts for now. With the horsepower, what's the average for you other folks with a V6?

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
cold air intake and a tuner, that's a good start right there

4.2 swap, split-port swap, Dual exhaust(unless thats what you already have) are things you could do later on. Maybe a m90(singleport heads) or m112(splitport heads) if you have the budget.
I've been reading as well and I hear CAI and a tuner is a good place to start... Any specific brand of intake that's best? BBK seems to be the most popular.. It has an aftermarket dual exhaust, some unheard of brand called silver line?
anthonys98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Average horsepower, after mods will be around 230-240 if you do the split port swap (heads, manifolds, fuel rail, injectors). You can mix and match what you'd like or you can swap your engine out for a 4.2 out of an f150. But, if you wanna keep your wiring harness you'll need the lower intake off a 1999 3.8 and the fuel rail from a 1998 e150. You can get a reground cam from Dave on this forum, as well as a tune. Another good idea would be to get a 5angle valve job, extreme port and polish, longer rods, stronger springs, and an 8.8 rear swap from a gt. With all of this you're looking at 1200-2500 in parts depending on the deals you can get.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Hi

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Average horsepower, after mods will be around 230-240 if you do the split port swap (heads, manifolds, fuel rail, injectors). You can mix and match what you'd like or you can swap your engine out for a 4.2 out of an f150. But, if you wanna keep your wiring harness you'll need the lower intake off a 1999 3.8 and the fuel rail from a 1998 e150. You can get a reground cam from Dave on this forum, as well as a tune. Another good idea would be to get a 5angle valve job, extreme port and polish, longer rods, stronger springs, and an 8.8 rear swap from a gt. With all of this you're looking at 1200-2500 in parts depending on the deals you can get.
Where's the best place to get a port and polish job done other than ssm? Also what's an average price for a 4.2l out of an f150?
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000stanguy View Post

Where's the best place to get a port and polish job done other than ssm? Also what's an average price for a 4.2l out of an f150?
SSM is the #1 place to get it done because he has proved through his 10second v6 mustang that he knows what he's doing. But I'd go to a local machine shop if you don't wanna ship your parts. On average $300-$500 for a 4.2 would be about right. I got mine for $250 because i pulled it myself
Old 08-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

SSM is the #1 place to get it done because he has proved through his 10second v6 mustang that he knows what he's doing. But I'd go to a local machine shop if you don't wanna ship your parts. On average $300-$500 for a 4.2 would be about right. I got mine for $250 because i pulled it myself
Ok thanks and Is $300-$500 quote for a short block or a complete long block?
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks and Is $300-$500 quote for a short block or a complete long block?
The whole motor, pulled from a junkyard though. I'd say bring your own battery and see if it will turn over
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Do a compression test and see if that baby has some power.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The whole motor, pulled from a junkyard though. I'd say bring your own battery and see if it will turn over
Ok thanks and I found a ported lower intake for $100 will I feel any hp gain from this alone and is that a good price? Thanks for all of your help

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Ok thanks and I found a ported lower intake for $100 will I feel any hp gains from this alone or would it just be a good stepping stone until I can port the upper and heads? And is it worth $100? Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thanks and I found a ported lower intake for $100 will I feel any hp gain from this alone and is that a good price? Thanks for all of your help

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Ok thanks and I found a ported lower intake for $100 will I feel any hp gains from this alone or would it just be a good stepping stone until I can port the upper and heads? And is it worth $100? Thanks for all your help!
Not really, it might have a little bit of pep if anything. But 100 for a intake that is already ported is a good stepping stone. But since you have a 2000 get a windstar upper intake off a windstar van. It's much lighter and adds 5hp 7lbs of torque. With those two you'll notice the difference.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not really, it might have a little bit of pep if anything. But 100 for a intake that is already ported is a good stepping stone. But since you have a 2000 get a windstar upper intake off a windstar van. It's much lighter and adds 5hp 7lbs of torque. With those two you'll notice the difference.
I've thought of that but since vap doesn't make the kit anymore and there is so much I need to modify myself I don't think I can do that. I'm still deciding on that one. I saw you upgraded your coil pack, did u notices difference with that?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've thought of that but since vap doesn't make the kit anymore and there is so much I need to modify myself I don't think I can do that. I'm still deciding on that one. I saw you upgraded your coil pack, did u notices difference with that?
She runs smoother, that's about it. The screamin demon coil pack is just a tiny bit better than the motorcraft one that comes stock
Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

She runs smoother, that's about it. The screamin demon coil pack is just a tiny bit better than the motorcraft one that comes stock
Ok thank you for all of your help!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok thank you for all of your help!
Not a problem!
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Look I don't want to sound like a lot of guys out their with a v8 but here's the truth. I had a 94 v6 with full bolt ons and a tune with gears. Don't get me wrong it was I guess quick for a sixxer. But last week I decided to stop spending money I to my v6 and moved up to a 2000 gt. now this thing is completely stock and would blow the doors off my old v6. But it's all your choice and what you like to do. But without some engine work or boost, it will just be another regular sixxer.
JB_MUSTANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_MUSTANG_V6 View Post
Look I don't want to sound like a lot of guys out their with a v8 but here's the truth. I had a 94 v6 with full bolt ons and a tune with gears. Don't get me wrong it was I guess quick for a sixxer. But last week I decided to stop spending money I to my v6 and moved up to a 2000 gt. now this thing is completely stock and would blow the doors off my old v6. But it's all your choice and what you like to do. But without some engine work or boost, it will just be another regular sixxer.
That's obvious lol it has two more cylinders. Some people just don't have the outright money to buy a gt or swap alllllll the things needed to have a v8. Truthfully, a v6 mustang is kinda like the poor man's muscle car lol
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I know I was stating the obvious lol and I know I understand that. But I'm just saying when it comes to doing performance mods on a v6, your not going to see that bang for your buck. Basically all the money you put into a v6, you won't see the results in return.
JB_MUSTANG_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

In a sense, you do get the bang for your buck. Going form 150hp to 240rwhp is a huge change even if you do spend $1500 haha yes, you can be up to 350rwhp with a v8, but its all about the improvement upon what you start out with. That's +90hp and the v8 is +90hp, same gains just a different base
Old 08-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

I run the msd street fire coil pack and love it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

I run the msd street fire coil pack and love it.
What do you mean by love it? Does the car run smoother, faster or just look cool?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Smoother, peppy, and better gas mileage and I replaced a brand new motorcraft pack with it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Smoother, peppy, and better gas mileage and I replaced a brand new motorcraft pack with it.
I never thought about better gas mileage. How much better is it?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Since installing it a few monthes ago I've averaged 1-4 mpg more than the last year
Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since installing it a few monthes ago I've averaged 1-4 mpg more than the last year
Wow that's impressive! I will probably get one eventually. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang