I need help removingremove the exhaust (H) pipes and starter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I need help removingremove the exhaust (H) pipes and starter

Hello, Im trying to remove the starter and the exhaust pipes from my mustang cause I need to remove the transmission to replace the torque converter.
The thing is that I have tried to unscrew the bolt that is in top of the starter and I cant reach it by any means, I used extensions but when I try to unscrew it slips (maybe wrong socket) ?. Im using a 1/2 socket but its not working well.
Also tried to unscrew the exhaust pipe from the passenger side (where the starter is) ,but it just doesnt want to loose, its hard as hell!
I soaked the nut and the bolt with liquid wrench,but it didnt do anything.
Im using a breaker bar to try to release it,but it doesnt make any difference,also tried with a torque wrench but its worse with that. Have been applying a lot of force to it but its like freaking jammed,not going anywhere.
Can somebody guide me on an effective way to remove this damn thing?
And what sockets I need,maybe I have been using.the.wrong ones.
I
siulnagap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What liquid did you use to soak the bolts? Did you try P.B Blaster?
JimmyMosqueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The old days are gone, with the exception of the lugnuts, American cars have been metric since the 80s. Instead of a ½", you should probably be using a 12mm or 13mm 6-point socket. Like ^ said, get some penetrating fluid to loosen what you have. Replace with stainless screws.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have been using liquid wrench type,also have a 13 mm socket,gonna try with it for the starter,going to check what metric size I need for the exhaust bolt
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Try some Pb blaster if those sockets dont work. Let it soak overnight.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
To take the top starter bolt off I have to use extensions and a elbow. Get in front of the motor mount and look in between the k-member below the motor mount. If you look just right you will get a perfect view of the bolt. It gets easy with enough extensions and a swivel near the socket
Sometimes a torch has to be applied to exhaust bolts.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the tip,thats what I've been doing,actually I have tried with 3 extensions,yesterday I bough an elbow socket but is the one you put at the ratchet to adapt the cup and is 1/2 and the extensions are smaller,probably I will need to buy a smaller adapter or a bigger extension (1/2)

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Just a question,if I soak a rag with a penetratin oil and wrap the bolt with it and leave overnight,will that loose the freaking bolt?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If it does not work this is an alternative. Some bolts get so hot and cold it takes a torch to heat them up and get the bolt off. Get a replicating saw and cut the exhaust up. You will need it welded back together. The other way to do it is measure the pipe. Get another pipe the same size and bring it to a exhaust shop. They can expand the pipe so it will fit inside your exhaust pipe. Put the expanded pipe on and put a u bolt on each side then just tighten down.
P.S. do not cut on a bend if you use the second method.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just took the starter off,but the pipes still taking the best out of me, and worst of all the bolts in the differential thingy doesnt want to come out either,I just thing Im using the wrong braker bar so I bought a bigger one.
Tomorrow I will keep on the struggling fight. I also bough pb liquid to see if it works better than liquid wrench
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know how It goes!!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

exhaust bolts are hard

Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
They're a PITA my father and I took heat to them after I wire-brushed the rust off of the threads. With a breaker bar and a lot of muscle we got em. Stripped the threads right on the center, though so we took a pry bar to em. Just replaced the studs with extra bolts we had
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust