Cutting Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Cutting Springs

Does anyone know of a detailed write up for this? I need as much help as I can get lol. Also I want to know if it really is bad for the suspension. I've been looking all day and the majority says no but the few who says yes, fully agree. My suspension squeaks enough as it is, I don't want to mess anything up. But I really want it lowered. Lowering springs are too expensive and pointless if you can just cut the ones I got. Just need advice/suggestions, etc
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
sebasflorez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post
Does anyone know of a detailed write up for this? I need as much help as I can get lol. Also I want to know if it really is bad for the suspension. I've been looking all day and the majority says no but the few who says yes, fully agree. My suspension squeaks enough as it is, I don't want to mess anything up. But I really want it lowered. Lowering springs are too expensive and pointless if you can just cut the ones I got. Just need advice/suggestions, etc
Go ahead and cut your springs man, though if you lower it over 1" your shocks and struts will die in less than a year. If you do lower get shocks and struts when you get a chance.
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post

Go ahead and cut your springs man, though if you lower it over 1" your shocks and struts will die in less than a year. If you do lower get shocks and struts when you get a chance.
I'm not sure how good mine are to begin with. They are probably the original shocks and struts and I'm at 116k lol. Pretty much everything is stock. Even my sparkplugs were until yesterday lol. But if I would have to get new shocks and struts, wouldn't it be better just to get springs? Lol I'm confused
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
sebasflorez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post

I'm not sure how good mine are to begin with. They are probably the original shocks and struts and I'm at 116k lol. Pretty much everything is stock. Even my sparkplugs were until yesterday lol. But if I would have to get new shocks and struts, wouldn't it be better just to get springs? Lol I'm confused
It's safe to cut 1 coil off your springs, that should lower you about 1.5" but you'd need caster camber plates to align the car correctly and in the long run new shocks and struts. Since my car had 94k I figured i'd just replace my whole suspension, lol, but that's just me. I've heard if you cut more than 1 coil off your spring it's bad because spring rate won't increase enough

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

This is a write up I found for 03-04 Cobras, should be about the same for you, but don't cut more than 1 coil off! Lol

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...gs-thread.html
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post

It's safe to cut 1 coil off your springs, that should lower you about 1.5" but you'd need caster camber plates to align the car correctly and in the long run new shocks and struts. Since my car had 94k I figured i'd just replace my whole suspension, lol, but that's just me. I've heard if you cut more than 1 coil off your spring it's bad because spring rate won't increase enough

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

This is a write up I found for 03-04 Cobras, should be about the same for you, but don't cut more than 1 coil off! Lol

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...gs-thread.html
One coil is right at what I want in the front and probably .75 of the back, whatever would give me about 1". And I don't know hardly anything about cars so I'd need an exact write up lol
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
sebasflorez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 367
Here ya go, this one is for GT, but it's 99% the same for a V6, differs only on wether or not you have ABS. Let me see if I can find the video I used to do mine.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ustang-gt.html

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Here you go, use these:

http://youtu.be/eoRnPx9-Fc8

http://youtu.be/QCfzpvv3jF8

I hope they help!
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Cut 1.25 off the front and 1 off the back. I would trash the isolators as well..I have cut over 6 new edge mustangs with that setup all running stock shocks and struts...also I've been lowered to 1.5" for years on stock shocks and struts at that. I do say an upgrade would do you nicely if you have bad shocks and struts now but its not needed to lower it safely. What do you want to know that the cobra write up I told you about didn't cover? Its pretty much pulling out the springs...using one method or another to cut the spring (never with heat or a cutting torch) and putting them back in.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Cut 1.25 off the front and 1 off the back. I would trash the isolators as well..I have cut over 6 new edge mustangs with that setup all running stock shocks and struts...also I've been lowered to 1.5" for years on stock shocks and struts at that. I do say an upgrade would do you nicely if you have bad shocks and struts now but its not needed to lower it safely. What do you want to know that the cobra write up I told you about didn't cover? Its pretty much pulling out the springs...using one method or another to cut the spring (never with heat or a cutting torch) and putting them back in.
Could I just use a saw? And I just want it as close as possible so I don't mess up anything. I'm not confident when it comes to cars haha. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the help, but I wanna do it right the first time. How much would it drop with 1.25 on front and one in back? Got a picture for the drop also? Thanks both for the guide!!
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
close to 1.5" and well here's pics of my last two stangs cut like that



__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
close to 1.5" and well here's pics of my last two stangs cut like that
Looks good. And that's without isos? Also I wouldn't rub with 16" rims would I?
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
16? Nahh. I cut my springs. I would go with slo's setup. I messed up with my springs when I cut them. I cut 1.5 from the back and 1.75 in the front. Way too low for me. Rubbed everywhere, exhaust hit everything. I think I had like less than an inch clearance from the floor with my cats and mufflers. I ate up a huge chink of my fender liner as well. The next day I got a spare set of front springs and just cut one coil and kept ISO's. now my suspension is lopsided. Cut 1 in front and 1.5 in the rear

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3428132386.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	126903



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-262713375.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	126904



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1525677431.jpg
Views:	2255
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	126905



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-335178153.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	126906

Bad drop 1.75 cut front



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1133278408.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	126907



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-288650286.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	126908

Lop sided drop 1cut front
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
16? Nahh. I cut my springs. I would go with slo's setup. I messed up with my springs when I cut them. I cut 1.5 from the back and 1.75 in the front. Way too low for me. Rubbed everywhere, exhaust hit everything. I think I had like less than an inch clearance from the floor with my cats and mufflers. I ate up a huge chink of my fender liner as well. The next day I got a spare set of front springs and just cut one coil and kept ISO's. now my suspension is lopsided. Cut 1 in front and 1.5 in the rear

Bad drop 1.75 cut front

Lop sided drop 1cut front
What is that first and second picture? The front looks a little too low for what I want
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Also, would a saw work for it?
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh1994 View Post

What is that first and second picture? The front looks a little too low for what I want
First pictures are 1.75 up front and 1.5 in the rear. Last two are 1 in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Doesn't really look lifted though. It would take forever with a hand saw. The metal is just too thick
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
I agree..spend $20 on a cheap saw...could use either a saw saw but I prefer metal grinding wheel.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
bkh1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: York
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I agree..spend $20 on a cheap saw...could use either a saw saw but I prefer metal grinding wheel.
I have a friend with a grinder. I'll see if I can borrow it
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
SpeedyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hackensack
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 402
How much is the recommended cut for a vert with stock springs?
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
How much is the recommended cut for a vert with stock springs?
The same 1.25 and 1 will do
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:05 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.