California emissions??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
California emissions???

I think my 2000 v6 might be California emissions how can I tell for sure if it is? Is there a certain vin # or something in the engine bay?

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
What do you mean by it might be California emissions? Do you live in California?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ummm. You only have to abide by California state emission laws if your car itself is registered in California. I don't know why in the heck someone would register their car in California if they don't live there. Easy way to tell.... Check your license plate
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

haha well I live in iowa but the guy I got it from said he thought it might be. I have a smog pump that is one reason I think it is. Would that mean its a California car or do all stangs my year have them also it could have come from cali because I am the third owner. could the first owner lived in California so now I still have the emissions

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6stang View Post
haha well I live in iowa but the guy I got it from said he thought it might be. I have a smog pump that is one reason I think it is. Would that mean its a California car.
All cars come from the factory with the exact same emissions equipment.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
haha well I live in iowa but the guy I got it from said he thought it might be. I have a smog pump that is one reason I think it is. Would that mean its a California car.
All engines are pretty much built the same. You don't live in California so you don't have to worry about California emission laws. You have to abide by Iowa emission laws

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

Unless it was built in California it's not a California car. Even then it doesn't have to pass California emissions unless it is registered in California. Lets make it easy. Did you have to pay your registration in California? No? Don't worry about Cali smog
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You have just been given a bunch a BAD information. The way the Fed law is written is this.

All states must meet the Fed standard.

States have the right to adopt, or wright there own standard as long as it meets or exceeds the Fed standard. There are quite a few states that use the Calif standard. For example ,If you buy a car in Maryland or Pennsylvania there is a chance that you would get a car with Calif emission. The states that adopt the Calif standard DO NOT call it Calif emissions, but the cars do meet the Calif standard. In the State of VA, It is illegal to sell a NEW car with Calif emissions on it ( a $10,000. Fine ) My job was transferring new cars from state to state so I know the law. I do not know the standard in Iowa, but as already posted you must pass the Iowa test.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
You have just been given a bunch a BAD information. The way the Fed law is written is this.

All states must meet the Fed standard.

States have the right to adopt, or wright there own standard as long as it meets or exceeds the Fed standard. There are quite a few states that use the Calif standard. For example ,If you buy a car in Maryland or Pennsylvania there is a chance that you would get a car with Calif emission. The states that adopt the Calif standard DO NOT call it Calif emissions, but the cars do meet the Calif standard. In the State of VA, It is illegal to sell a NEW car with Calif emissions on it ( a $10,000. Fine ) My job was transferring new cars from state to state so I know the law. I do not know the standard in Iowa, but as already posted you must pass the Iowa test.
What do you mean when a car has California emissions? How is the information bad? Each state has their own emission laws. I told op to abide by Iowa state emission laws. As for federal law, I think they have more crap to deal with than what our cars spit out of our tail pipes. I've never had a federal inspection for any of my cars, or any of my parents cars. This dates back to 72 where there were no emission laws practically here in California. You're talking about transferring titles to other states, now that's different and still not to strict.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3616246367.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	127277  
Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

what if the original owner bought it in California and registered it there? would I have anything extra on my car

Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what if the original owner bought it in California and registered it there? would I have anything extra on my car
No, like soccrluvr said. All cars are built the same. If the car is registered in California you're gonna have to transfer the title to Iowa or find an address you can use in California a d sorta "cheat" the system. But if its registered in Iowa you won't have a problem
Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thank you for clearing that up for me! I have had my car for a couple years and wanted to find our for sure if it was or not. Its registered in Iowa im very happy its not cali emissions I guess I was pretty confused on the subject.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Back in the "Old Days" there actually was a physical difference between California vehicles and the other 49 states. I currently have a 1986 Honda V65 Magna motorcycle (Google that for some entertainment.... yeah, FAST back in the old days)! Anyway, it shows all of the additional vacuum lines, canisters, decals etc that were specific to CA bikes in the Honda service manual. Additionally, I had a 1984 Ford Bronco II that came from California and it had about 75 feet of additional vacuum likes, charcoal canisters, emissions warning decals etc under the hood.... I swear it was unrecognizable compared to another 49 state Bronco II.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
california