struggles to start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to nekronos
struggles to start

Hallo all,

'01 v6 here really struggles to start, took several seconds holding the key in start this morning, hasn't failed yet but sounds pretty bad. Reminds me of a ancient truck you might see in a movie that just barely starts.

Once it starts it doesn't seem to have any power issue but I haven't really tested it much since I currently am only driving to a bus stop everyday that's nearby.

Anyone know what the problem is? Had some ideas as where to start: spark plug wires, spark plugs, battery? Hoping I can fix this before it just stops starting.

As a side note I also have gas mileage issues (around 25 on the highway and 18/19 city, sometimes as bad as 15), at times I can smell gas. I used to get 20/21 in the city and 27/28 on the highway.. well I guess that's a separate issue but anyways..
nekronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Can also be alternator or starter about to go. But i would say start with the simple stuff first and then big. Go to autozone and have them test your alternator for free
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mine used to be like that. Eventually i had to step on the gas for it to start. When i took it in i had a rusted fly wheel. And they replaced the spark plugs. Probably just your spark plugs but mine was my rusted fly wheel.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronos View Post
Hallo all,

'01 v6 here really struggles to start, took several seconds holding the key in start this morning, hasn't failed yet but sounds pretty bad. Reminds me of a ancient truck you might see in a movie that just barely starts.

Once it starts it doesn't seem to have any power issue but I haven't really tested it much since I currently am only driving to a bus stop everyday that's nearby.

Anyone know what the problem is? Had some ideas as where to start: spark plug wires, spark plugs, battery? Hoping I can fix this before it just stops starting.

As a side note I also have gas mileage issues (around 25 on the highway and 18/19 city, sometimes as bad as 15), at times I can smell gas. I used to get 20/21 in the city and 27/28 on the highway.. well I guess that's a separate issue but anyways..
I don't think the plugs or wires would be doing that. And the gas mileage is fine. I get like 23 on highway. I drive a lot more on the highway and I get 21 lol. I'd say the starter, alternator for my second choice
bkh1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Could it be a clogged fuel filter / dying fuel pump? Just a thought.. The filter is a cheap fix that's usually not thought of
Dpred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpred03 View Post
Could it be a clogged fuel filter / dying fuel pump? Just a thought.. The filter is a cheap fix that's usually not thought of
I actually thought about that but I have no knowledge of the fuel lines and all of that stuff. Because it might be just having trouble getting gas
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can do the fuel filter yourself for about 20$ including the filter and tools necessary.. Cheap fix compared to a lot of other options plus it probably needs to be done anyway... The pump I don't know much about difficulty and price wise just that a dying pump can cause these symptoms
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
You can do the fuel filter yourself for about 20$ including the filter and tools necessary.. Cheap fix compared to a lot of other options plus it probably needs to be done anyway... The pump I don't know much about difficulty and price wise just that a dying pump can cause these symptoms
The pump is difficult. On a rating from 1-10 a 8 only because you need to lower and remove the gas tank while having your car somewhat jacked up.
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That's kind of what I thought.. Is the pump actually inside the tank or is that the other style fuel system? I know one of them had it actually in the tank for return reasons. I've also heard of removing the back seat and trunk area to access the tank for pump changes.. Idk how much easier it would be though
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So an update... this morning it wouldn't start at all, engine kept trying to crank very slowly - tried a few times and just wouldn't start. If i get a chance tonight I might try to post a video of it after work.

Thanks for the input guys, I actually have a fuel filter I bought not that long ago but never got around to replacing it. So I'm going to do the fuel filter or at least try it (don't know how to do it since I haven't done it before) I will probably do spark plugs as well since that's pretty easy, I think the last time I changed mine was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The pump sounds like its out of my difficulty range lol.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekronos View Post
So an update... this morning it wouldn't start at all, engine kept trying to crank very slowly - tried a few times and just wouldn't start. If i get a chance tonight I might try to post a video of it after work.

Thanks for the input guys, I actually have a fuel filter I bought not that long ago but never got around to replacing it. So I'm going to do the fuel filter or at least try it (don't know how to do it since I haven't done it before) I will probably do spark plugs as well since that's pretty easy, I think the last time I changed mine was probably 4 or 5 years ago. The pump sounds like its out of my difficulty range lol.
Sounds good. But its not the plugs. Plugs would let it crank. It'd just misfire whichever one is broke or whatever. Unless every single one is broke, that's not it haha
Old 09-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

With 4-5 year old plugs I think I would change them anyway though
Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With 4-5 year old plugs I think I would change them anyway though
Definitely. I just changed 10 year old plugs a few weekday ago LOL
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well my 1st guess was the spark plugs. If you're 100% sure that it's not the spark plugs, coil pack, or the wires.. then my 2nd guess would be the starter... Good luck, though. Keep us updated!
PureInstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It's the fuel pump/fuel filter. I wouldn't say its an 8 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty, its just a delicate process. My car did the same thing. You could just have a small pinhole in the fuel line that's inside the tank like mine had. It costed me $400 for the whole fuel pump and assembly because I could not just replace the line. You can get the fuel line tool at advanced auto for $10 and get a fuel filter while you're there. It's a two man job so get a mechanically inclined buddy and a free weekend to do it
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So another update, everything seems to be fine now. I tried to start up on Monday and instead of cranking slowly it did the "click click click" etc. Checked the battery and it was dead. Think I'll have the alternator tested just to be sure that isn't what killed the battery (I expected the battery to last a lot longer).

Dead battery replaced.. going to do a tune-up anyways and replace the fuel filter and spark plugs
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
So what was the problem after all?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'll recap it... engine struggled to start (cranked very slowly for two days, slower each day, third day it refused to start, cranked only) a few days later it stopped cranking and only "clicked"

I replaced the battery and all is good.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
So...who thought it was the battery? Lol
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang