Sensors that lead to misfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sensors that lead to misfire

I have a small misfire and its bugging me because I can't figure it out. The engine shakes at idle a little but is fine accelerating. i already replaced the upper intake gasket and don't have a vacuum leak. I already changed oil, plugs, wires and coil so I'm thinking it's a bad sensor somewhere but the computer is only throwing a bad catalytic converter code. Which sensors can contribute to misfiring and which ones should I replace first?
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
I have a small misfire and its bugging me because I can't figure it out. The engine shakes at idle a little but is fine accelerating. i already replaced the upper intake gasket and don't have a vacuum leak. I already changed oil, plugs, wires and coil so I'm thinking it's a bad sensor somewhere but the computer is only throwing a bad catalytic converter code. Which sensors can contribute to misfiring and which ones should I replace first?
Maybe one of your cats is clogged?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
If there is a misfire then it has to throw some sort if code as to which cylinder. Are you sure you connected the wires to coil in the correct firing order??? Are your plugs gapped correctly? A broken manifold can also cause this
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I'm sure I connected the wires correctly or else you barely drive the thing. The computer doesn't always throw codes for every little problem. I just have a blown cat on the passenger side.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
What do you mean by a blown cat?

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cat is throwing codes because its malfunctioning
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
That means the cat is clogged. The fumes are not escaping properly and exhaust gas is getting stuck in the chamber. It can cause problems with a engine.
Don't take my word. Get someone to press on the gas petal and put your hand near the exhaust tip. You will feel a hesitation in the flow. Them gases are stuck in your head and causing problems.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No necessarily, it could just mean the cat is worn out and not functioning at 100% effectiveness
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No necessarily, it could just mean the cat is worn out and not functioning at 100% effectiveness
If the car is misfiring you WILL get a code. It's not a "little thing" so find out what cylinder.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post

If the car is misfiring you WILL get a code. It's not a "little thing" so find out what cylinder.
The motor shakes at idle but it fine on acceleration. My idle has been weird in the past and has stuck at certain rpms at idle. I don't think it's a vaccum leak because I hear no sucking noises and its not a continuous shake. It hesitates
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

The motor shakes at idle but it fine on acceleration. My idle has been weird in the past and has stuck at certain rpms at idle. I don't think it's a vaccum leak because I hear no sucking noises and its not a continuous shake. It hesitates
Definitely coil pack, spark plug wires or spark plug problem. Check all of them
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Could be a dirty or malfunctioning fuel injector...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think it can be the iac because it fluctuates and sticks at certain rpms and I run a little high on my idle. It's random like ill be driving and press the clutch down and the rpms will stay at 2k or so. What are common symptoms of bad iac?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think it can be the iac because it fluctuates and sticks at certain rpms and I run a little high on my idle. It's random like ill be driving and press the clutch down and the rpms will stay at 2k or so. What are common symptoms of bad iac?
Rough idle and eventually low rpms that it will stall iut

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang