Mustang Evolution Forum banner

8.8 rearend swap with 4:10 gears

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Kustumb 
#1 ·
Alright I've searched and searched on google and there's no straight forward guide on how to do it. Everyone says that it's really easy and shouldn't be a problem to do.

So what all do I need? I want to also go ahead and put some 4:10 gears in there (I have an automatic) at the same time. All I will need are an 8.8 rear off a 99 or up, brand new gears (gunna stay away from used gears) and new fluid to go in the rearend?

I'm gunna pick up a 8.8 of CL or take one off a GT at a junk yard. I don't have to weld anything or do anything special to put the gears in do I?

Also what's the best way to change them out and how do I jack my mustang up to get to the rearend to take it off?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
You will need to pay someone to install the gears. I would also recommend new bearings and rebuilding the locker since it will be apart.

#4 ·
Yeah installing gears is a professional job. I would suggest you send the rear end to get rebuilt and the gears installed . Then install the rear end yourself. It's easy. Jack the car like normal but put jack stands on the frame of the vehicle. Remove calipers, rotors, shocks, and unbolt the rear end and it'll drop. I recommend some help dropping it cause I hear those things are heavy

#6 ·
So have them rebuild the rearend and put the gears in it then bolt it on my car. Gotcha ;) how much would they charge me for doing the gears? Found a 8.8 rearend with only 20000 miles on it out of a gt that's totaled. 100 dollars how much would it be to have that with gears installed?

#16 ·
Stock 7.5 and 8.8 rear ends from 99-04 came stock with 3.27s

#18 ·
People say they don't see that much of a loss in gas mileage with 4:10s like at 70 it's only 2400 RPMs instead of 2000 but supposedly that's what they were getting in a YouTube video. If you get a CAI and duels your gas mileage does go
Up some mine did after I got a CAI and duels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.