I need some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I need some help

OK so I was driving for a while (2 hours) and when I stopped to fill up I noticed what seems to be a belt chirping. I popped the hood and it seems to be the main belt, I also noticed some fluid coming out of a hose that goes in the back of the alternator. How bad is it if I drive with a slightly chirping belt and does anyone have any idea what that fluid is?
Dpred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Maybe coolant? I'm trying to think the hose behind the alternator on the v6. As far as the chirping is it the belt or a pulley? Whatever you do don't spray any conditioner on there it will make things worse. But I recommend changing the belt and if the noise is still there then narrow down the pulley
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can't tell the engine is hot still so no clue on the fluid.. If it is coolant how big a deal is it? And how bad is it to drive with it now with the chirp? I am really tight on money right now so if it can wait a few weeks that would be preferable.. How do I tell which pulley needs to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you are leaking coolant, hope its from the reserved portion. If it is, most likely it had a tad to much to begin with and its just doing its job. The chirping noise, its not a big deal. Hopefully tho it is just the belt and not the tension pulley. But I agree, do not spray anything on the belt. It does and will make it worst. Best of luck .
alex_ander01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpred03 View Post
I can't tell the engine is hot still so no clue on the fluid.. If it is coolant how big a deal is it? And how bad is it to drive with it now with the chirp? I am really tight on money right now so if it can wait a few weeks that would be preferable.. How do I tell which pulley needs to be replaced?
What color is the fluid? Is it leaking a lot or a little? If it's coolant make sure you never run low or engine will overheat. Get it fixed though whatever it is. Don't worry about the chirp that much I had a chirp from my idler pulley for about 2 weeks. Well that's for you to narrow it down or go to an auto parts store and ask for their help.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm guessing it clear I can't tell though and I'll get that checked out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang