Motors gone Bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Motors gone Bad

Well guys my motor just went bad on me. I wad on a test drive with a guy and it was still ticking. I found out it was a bad head and went to take the guy down the road and in the middle of the test drive it sounded like the motor was about to come a part. So I'm not selling it now. I'm getting a new engine soon I hope and building it the way I want. I guessing this was a blessing in disguise. I didn't want to to sell it but I need a truck so its all good lol. I want to drop a 302 in it but state laws keep me form doing that. So I'm just going to build another 3.8. Would like some input on some build ideas. I picked up a windstar intake for $25. So that's diff going on any other ideas would be great thanks guys. I'm going to have to do it on a budget so my wife dont kill me lol. Guess I ended up with a great winter project
skey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
if its a 94-95 you can legally drop in a fuel injected 5.0/302 or even a 5.8/351w since the 1995 cobra R had a 5.8/351w.
I think for a swap to be legal it needs to be out of the same year vehicle or newer.
If you have the cash you could swap in a 4v 4.6 or 5.4, I don't like mod motors so much but it seesm the 4v's make pretty good power.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Here in North Carolina we have state inspections on 1995 and newer cars. My is a 2000 so no way around that. I thougjt of the 4v swap. But then ill need rear end wire harness and the rest of the stuff to do the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Rear end swap is a good start, if your staying v6, you need the 4.2. Should be able to get a whole engine from a local scrap yard, for $300-600. Well worth it. Good engines, you can reuse your heads and intake.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was just talking to my wife and she said something about just turning it into a drag car. Lol that's why I married her lol. I've been thanking about it will a old school 302 or 351 bolt up to the trans it my cars its a 5 speed and I would want to go old school with it but with a new school body. I love my body style and could make it light as hell.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

V6 5 speeds will bolt up with the right bell housing, but the gears are weaker than GT 5 speeds.
I've been thinking of putting a carb'd 302 temporarily in mine, until i can get the cash to go to a carb'd 351w. It will still be a daily driver too. My local rules allow me to do almost anything I want to the car, unless I sell it.
I'm thinking I'd hook the carb up with a return style system, I've been reading thats what most high performance carb engines use. Prevents a few problems.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I know what you mean. Ots county by county here. The next county of dosnt not havr the same laws and motot swaps wish I had a po box there lol. But I'm goint to look around for tje stuff to do the old crab swap. A friend of mine will be providing the motor and that will leave only the trans and running gear to find. But I know wear a few GTs arr laying around. Would a fox body rear end work. I thank they are smaller then the ones in the dn95. But not for surr.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Bad head? Any pictures of what exactly happened?

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Something came apart its metal on metal sound I pulled something in my back so been unable to get it apart to see what it is. Had a really bad valve tick beforr so guessing something let loose in there lol. Whats the 4.2 swap like. And what all would I need? I wouldn't mind doing that swap and keeping on the road.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

A 4.2 swap is actually pretty easy, its also called a stroker kit. Depending on what block you use.
A 4.2 almost all the same parts as a 3.8. The only difference is the crank shafts stroke and connecting rods.
Same block and everything so its a direct swap.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I want to use my block its still good. So would I just need the crank out of the 4.2? I want to replace the cam when I'm in there . Wheres a good place to get one? I've looked at super6.com and that's alil I thank. But can't really find anyothers out there. I more then likely going foe the stoker swap and not the old school 302. I hate to have a trailer queen lol.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You would need the crank, connecting rods and probably pistons.
Compcams had some camshafts for the 3.8 and 4.2, if you can find a low mileage 4.2 block. The 4.2 cams are better compared to the mustangs stock cam.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Phone double posted...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah its all good man. I was reading some stuff on the stroker swap and it was saying to use the 4.2 heads. What can of hp gains would I be looking at?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think 4.2 heads are the same as 99-04 3.8 heads. They have a different upper intake, I Windstar intake is better and smaller though.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

That's one of the mods I'm planning on. They look sweet. Love how clean they make it look under the hood plus the extra hp it gives you.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skey View Post
I want to use my block its still good. So would I just need the crank out of the 4.2? I want to replace the cam when I'm in there . Wheres a good place to get one? I've looked at super6.com and that's alil I thank. But can't really find anyothers out there. I more then likely going foe the stoker swap and not the old school 302. I hate to have a trailer queen lol.
Unless you plan on rebuilding it don't waste money swapping 4.2 internals into your block, find a decent mileage 4.2 and just drop it in as is.

I can get you a regrind cam for a good bit cheaper than SSM lol

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Will everything bolt up and plug in. And will the computer be the same? Has far as the cam what would it cost.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Uses the same ecu, since your going to use your the mustang heads and intake.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Not going to use the heads off my motor they was having valve problems I'm going to go with the 4.2lower and the heads as well and top it off with a windstar intake. Wanting to throw some more stuff into as the cash allows it and the wife lol.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will everything bolt up and plug in. And will the computer be the same? Has far as the cam what would it cost.
The blocks and the heads are the same externally so nothing to worry about

Quote:
Not going to use the heads off my motor they was having valve problems I'm going to go with the 4.2lower and the heads as well and top it off with a windstar intake. Wanting to throw some more stuff into as the cash allows it and the wife lol.
Use the mustangs lower intake, the 4.2 has stuff you have to block off and so, you have a mustang lower free of charge no point doing extra work

I'm still curious what happened.. Are you sure it's not just a huge exhaust leak? The headers break easily on these cars and it damn near sounds metallic when it ticks

I say this because I have yet to see a stock untouched motor lose a rocker or F up a valve

blower/new cam soon
Old 10-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

It was ticking and I was going to sell it and get something else but on a test drive it sounded like the damn motor came apart. It sounds like metal on metal. Tje car has around 185XXX miles on it. I've not been able to pull it apart yet to see what happened to it yet. Its not wanting to stay running when I let off the gas to stop it well shut off. So I'm like f@#$ it lol. Its time to build something out of it. Got to much into it to sell it now.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

With the 4.2 swap I found a list of parts needed. It calls for a 2001 or up oil pan. Can I use my 2000 oil pan and be safe and save alil money? I'm wanting to keep the block I got as long as the inside of its still good. I want to do it on the cheap side like you know junk yard parts don't want to spend a ton on it. But if I have to buy new parts then I'm fine with that will just take longer to get done. And will I need to take it and have a dyno tune done after I'm done with it.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I know the 2000 are really early 2001 models just want to get all the information up before I start with the swap. It looks like it would be the easiest way to get more performance out of the car. Well that's with out boosting it. I hope to boost it one day but that's not in the cards right now lol.I just don't want to tear it down start the swap and come up not having all the parts I need or buy the wrong ones. I found a cam form como cams for $337.00 that's the cheapest I've found that I trust the company.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You need the 01-04 pan to clear the setup, don't cheap out over a $40 or less part..

blower/new cam soon
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I got you. I might you know buying new crake and all new stuff. I can pull the oil pan off one at the juck yard for cheap. Just don't want to pay out the you know what for all the parts I need.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

After I'm done with the swap what would a good tune cost me? i want everything done right so that i don't have to go back later and fix something that has already been fixed. I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the 3.8 Mustangs. This will be the frist aftermarket mod that Ive done to my Mustang. LOL. So I'll have alot of qustions im sure of it. But all of you guys have been alot of help so far. This is by far the best site for Mustang owner to find great inforantion on thier cars.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After I'm done with the swap what would a good tune cost me? i want everything done right so that i don't have to go back later and fix something that has already been fixed. I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the 3.8 Mustangs. This will be the frist aftermarket mod that Ive done to my Mustang. LOL. So I'll have alot of qustions im sure of it. But all of you guys have been alot of help so far. This is by far the best site for Mustang owner to find great inforantion on thier cars.
I can get you a tune through Luis Ortiz, he tuned my built V6 and has done a great job and is very helpful whenever problems occurred during the tuning process. Tune and handheld for $400 and free alterations later should your setup change.

blower/new cam soon
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like a good deal. This will be only the 2nd car I've had tuned. A friend did the last one but he left for the army and i haven't seen him in a long time. What would i need to send or what info would he need for the tune. Oh and was it you that said you could get me an aftermarket cam. I found a comp cam that sounds like a good deal.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

After I get off work today I'm going to start pulling the motor apart to see what happened to it. If its head related then no big deal planned on useing the 4.2 heads any ways. Same if its the crank. I'm just hopeing that the metal on metal sound wasn't from the cylineder's that would suck but wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sounds like a good deal. This will be only the 2nd car I've had tuned. A friend did the last one but he left for the army and i haven't seen him in a long time. What would i need to send or what info would he need for the tune. Oh and was it you that said you could get me an aftermarket cam. I found a comp cam that sounds like a good deal.
Send me the cam out of the 4.2 you pull and it's only $250 for a regrind cam.

Quote:
After I get off work today I'm going to start pulling the motor apart to see what happened to it. If its head related then no big deal planned on useing the 4.2 heads any ways. Same if its the crank. I'm just hopeing that the metal on metal sound wasn't from the cylineder's that would suck but wouldn't be the end of the world.
Eh just drop the whole block in from the 4.2, save you a bunch of trouble setting up the 4.2 internals in your block

blower/new cam soon
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the information man. Well everything plug in the way it came? What year 4.2 do I need to look for? Guess I need to hit the junkyards soon and start pulling parts lo
Old 10-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the information man. Well everything plug in the way it came? What year 4.2 do I need to look for? Guess I need to hit the junkyards soon and start pulling parts lo
There is a sticky at the top of this forum section that will give you a list of everything needed for your year car.

blower/new cam soon
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I copied it last nite and made a build sheet so I willn't froget anything and can keep track of all the mods done to the car. i got a list of pirces at my local junkyard so now all I'm really waiting on is to see if they have any 4.2 on the yard. Should I look for the same year as my car?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

All the 4.2 bottom ends are pretty much the same, just try to find a low mileage one

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang