V6 Swap Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
V6 Swap Help

So my car is on its last leg with 350k miles on it and I'm looking to put another 3.8 in it, It's hard to find any 3.8's here in the same year that arent totaled or automatics. So I had a few questions... I found a 1999 3.8 with 44k miles on it and was wondering if I could easily swap it in a 1997? Would I have to convert a bunch of stuff? It's my daily driver and I work full time M-Thur and only have 3 days to really get it done. Has anyone done this before? Also, if I was to find the same year engine but it is automatic, would that engine still work with my manual? Will it bolt right up? I'd really like to put that 1999 in, but idk how hard it will be... I heard you'd have to modify the fuel line and a couple other stuff... What about the computers? Or electronics? Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks guys!
Ju5tAsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you're VERY mechanically inclined you could knock this out in a weekend. It's really expensive unless you know your way around wiring. I'm still on this project and it's been about 5 months. So far I've replaced the complete wiring harness, dash harness included, fuel tank, fuel pump, radiator fan, wiper reservoir, you'll need the newer airbags if you want them, unless you can work some wiring magic, and the list goes on. But like I state originally a good mechanic with good electronic capabilities can knock this out in a day or two. Putting the engine and tranny in was a piece of cake
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
So it's mostly electronics that get in the way? Like usual. I'm pretty mechanically sound in engine work, and swaps, but not when it comes to wiring. I know the basics "ground" and "power" and stuff like that but nothing more than wiring up aftermarket headlights and gauges. Do you know if I could easily swap a 1997 Auto to a 1997 Manual? There's tons of automatics around here but I have a manual... Also, most all the engines are out of a totaled mustang... Would you trust ripping a totaled car's engine out and replacing mine with it? I'm just trying to get other opinions and options. Cause my engine is about done and I don't have a spare vehicle.
Ju5tAsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Region: New Jersey
You can get you engine from engine direct is about 2100 but with the core charge, so if you return the old engine you will get 350 back but it come as a remanufactured engine
Jtdlc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah electronics are horrible. I'm just replacing everything basically. Yes you can an automatic in your car. You'll have to get the Automatic ECU as well. It's the cars computer located in the passenger kick panel. I'm not sure if it will mess with your PATS system you'd have to ask around. I would buy a engine from a totaled car only if it was hit from the rear or the sides, I'd never get one that was on a head on collision. I'd always check where the driveshaft connects to the transmission to make sure that the teeth are intact.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang