What's the better value? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
HurricaneDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: College Park, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 40
What's the better value?

I'm looking to do my first upgrade and I'm at a crossroads. AM has a Bama Tuner and SR CAI combo for $479. They also have just a K&N CAI for $219.

Are the K&N CAIs much better than the SRs? Would I see more of a performance improvement with the SR and Bama tuner? I'm just hesitant about the SR CAI because it's so inexpenssive compared to the K&N.
__________________
2004 V6 base. Stock for now, but not for long!
HurricaneDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
its the same ****. just buy the sr intake and tuner combo. if u just get the k&n u wont notice anything at all.
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
You'll feel better about having a brand name product in your engine bay and that's about it
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malvern
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,171
HurricaneDC,

You'll certainly notice a larger gain with the Bama/SR CAI combo. The Bama tuner alone will produce more HP/TQ & throttle response than the K&N intake alone.

I do want to be clear, there's nothing wrong with the K&N CAI. Nor is there anything wrong with the SR CAI, they're both nice pieces that will improve airflow to the engine. However, the Bama custom tuner provides the most significant gains. Even more so when paired with a CAI, like the SR or K&N.

Shane
__________________
Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
HurricaneDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: College Park, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 40
Awesome, thanks guys. Bama, SR, and new headlights it is.
__________________
2004 V6 base. Stock for now, but not for long!
HurricaneDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 320
I recently put the BAMA 93 octane race tune on our 96 SVT Cobra. Definite feel in the seat of your pants performance upgrade. Unfortunately our local drag strip has no more test & tune for this year so I can't tell how much real performance gain there is. I do know even with a race tune I picked up 2 mpg. Can't beat that. Very happy with BAMA tune.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm looking to do my first upgrade and I'm at a crossroads. AM has a Bama Tuner and SR CAI combo for $479. They also have just a K&N CAI for $219.

Are the K&N CAIs much better than the SRs? Would I see more of a performance improvement with the SR and Bama tuner? I'm just hesitant about the SR CAI because it's so inexpenssive compared to the K&N.
Awesome first upgrade! I always recommend CAI and a Custom tune to anyone entering the modification game. The SR CAI and Bama custom tune is a great set up. I understand how you could be slightly worried about the SR CAI because of the low price point but you have nothing to worry about! A SR Performance Cold Air Intake kit will replace the stock air box and paper filter in your sixxer with a high flow filter assembly for a large increase in horsepower and throttle response.

I've run SR Performance CAI's, JLT, Airaid, BBK, Steeda etc.. on a few different Mustangs I've owned over the last few years. I noticed similar gains with every intake, definitely within a few horsepower of each other! These are the best CAI's you can get for your Mustang and I'm confident that you'll be extremely happy with any of these set ups. Besides the power and torque, you're going to love the added noise you get from a good CAI.

I hope any of this information helps with your decision. Hit me up if you have any further questions!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
cold air intakes are just tubes that air go through, unless one has bigger diameter or, smoother tubing. They're all the same.
some materials might dissipate heat better, but I don't think it would make a difference maybe 1hp if your lucky.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 320
My car came with the K&N CAI. I like the sound and look, but I don't like that it did not come with a heat shield. This is important to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a CAI if it's breathing hot engine air. So I'd look for a kitwithba heat shield. I need to buy or make one.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
My car came with the K&N CAI. I like the sound and look, but I don't like that it did not come with a heat shield. This is important to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a CAI if it's breathing hot engine air. So I'd look for a kitwithba heat shield. I need to buy or make one.
Heat shield you say? BA! HUMBUG! Never had any problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3830159981.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	133832  
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Spiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Heat shield you say? BA! HUMBUG! Never had any problems
You won't have any problems other than you lose any power gains because instead of the engine getting Cold air/fuel mixture it's getting Hot under the hood air/ fuel mixtures.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
sebasflorez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baton Rouge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
You won't have any problems other than you lose any power gains because instead of the engine getting Cold air/fuel mixture it's getting Hot under the hood air/ fuel mixtures.
Actually the air under the hood vs the air from a fender has very little difference, the only power gains you will see is because of the less restrictive filter, other than that CAIs are only for show and for the hiss noise they make, at most they will give you 5hp, and that's if you're lucky
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
Actually the air under the hood vs the air from a fender has very little difference, the only power gains you will see is because of the less restrictive filter, other than that CAIs are only for show and for the hiss noise they make, at most they will give you 5hp, and that's if you're lucky
Bingo!
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:51 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.