What's the better value? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
What's the better value?

I'm looking to do my first upgrade and I'm at a crossroads. AM has a Bama Tuner and SR CAI combo for $479. They also have just a K&N CAI for $219.

Are the K&N CAIs much better than the SRs? Would I see more of a performance improvement with the SR and Bama tuner? I'm just hesitant about the SR CAI because it's so inexpenssive compared to the K&N.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
its the same ****. just buy the sr intake and tuner combo. if u just get the k&n u wont notice anything at all.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You'll feel better about having a brand name product in your engine bay and that's about it
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
HurricaneDC,

You'll certainly notice a larger gain with the Bama/SR CAI combo. The Bama tuner alone will produce more HP/TQ & throttle response than the K&N intake alone.

I do want to be clear, there's nothing wrong with the K&N CAI. Nor is there anything wrong with the SR CAI, they're both nice pieces that will improve airflow to the engine. However, the Bama custom tuner provides the most significant gains. Even more so when paired with a CAI, like the SR or K&N.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Awesome, thanks guys. Bama, SR, and new headlights it is.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I recently put the BAMA 93 octane race tune on our 96 SVT Cobra. Definite feel in the seat of your pants performance upgrade. Unfortunately our local drag strip has no more test & tune for this year so I can't tell how much real performance gain there is. I do know even with a race tune I picked up 2 mpg. Can't beat that. Very happy with BAMA tune.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm looking to do my first upgrade and I'm at a crossroads. AM has a Bama Tuner and SR CAI combo for $479. They also have just a K&N CAI for $219.

Are the K&N CAIs much better than the SRs? Would I see more of a performance improvement with the SR and Bama tuner? I'm just hesitant about the SR CAI because it's so inexpenssive compared to the K&N.
Awesome first upgrade! I always recommend CAI and a Custom tune to anyone entering the modification game. The SR CAI and Bama custom tune is a great set up. I understand how you could be slightly worried about the SR CAI because of the low price point but you have nothing to worry about! A SR Performance Cold Air Intake kit will replace the stock air box and paper filter in your sixxer with a high flow filter assembly for a large increase in horsepower and throttle response.

I've run SR Performance CAI's, JLT, Airaid, BBK, Steeda etc.. on a few different Mustangs I've owned over the last few years. I noticed similar gains with every intake, definitely within a few horsepower of each other! These are the best CAI's you can get for your Mustang and I'm confident that you'll be extremely happy with any of these set ups. Besides the power and torque, you're going to love the added noise you get from a good CAI.

I hope any of this information helps with your decision. Hit me up if you have any further questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

cold air intakes are just tubes that air go through, unless one has bigger diameter or, smoother tubing. They're all the same.
some materials might dissipate heat better, but I don't think it would make a difference maybe 1hp if your lucky.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My car came with the K&N CAI. I like the sound and look, but I don't like that it did not come with a heat shield. This is important to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a CAI if it's breathing hot engine air. So I'd look for a kitwithba heat shield. I need to buy or make one.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
My car came with the K&N CAI. I like the sound and look, but I don't like that it did not come with a heat shield. This is important to keep the hot air out of the intake. It's not a CAI if it's breathing hot engine air. So I'd look for a kitwithba heat shield. I need to buy or make one.
Heat shield you say? BA! HUMBUG! Never had any problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3830159981.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	133832  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Heat shield you say? BA! HUMBUG! Never had any problems
You won't have any problems other than you lose any power gains because instead of the engine getting Cold air/fuel mixture it's getting Hot under the hood air/ fuel mixtures.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
You won't have any problems other than you lose any power gains because instead of the engine getting Cold air/fuel mixture it's getting Hot under the hood air/ fuel mixtures.
Actually the air under the hood vs the air from a fender has very little difference, the only power gains you will see is because of the less restrictive filter, other than that CAIs are only for show and for the hiss noise they make, at most they will give you 5hp, and that's if you're lucky
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
Actually the air under the hood vs the air from a fender has very little difference, the only power gains you will see is because of the less restrictive filter, other than that CAIs are only for show and for the hiss noise they make, at most they will give you 5hp, and that's if you're lucky
Bingo!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang