Creak noise when turning the wheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Creak noise when turning the wheel

So lately I've been hearing this creak noise, but it only happens when i turn the steering wheel, and not everytime, mostly when on a sharp turn. Does anyone know what causes this noise and how it may be fixed? Thanks.
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasflorez View Post
So lately I've been hearing this creak noise, but it only happens when i turn the steering wheel, and not everytime, mostly when on a sharp turn. Does anyone know what causes this noise and how it may be fixed? Thanks.
I'm not to sure what causes it. It happened to me a while back also & it was very annoying. I never really did anything about it but it hasn't done it in about 2 Months.
06_RedfireS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Steering rack maybe?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I had a creeking sound also

In the clip is what mine was sounding like it ended up being lower ball joints
JayStang718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ball joints
Mike V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStang718 View Post
I had a creeking sound also In the clip is what mine was sounding like it ended up being lower ball joints
So replace ball joints and the noise will go away right?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well the noise on your video doesn't really match mine, mine is more of a 2 second creak and then it stops, not continuous, could it still be ball joints?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Well the noise on your video doesn't really match mine, mine is more of a 2 second creak and then it stops, not continuous, could it still be ball joints?
Mine used to.creak when i turned it then i took out all my interior parts and painted them. It hasnt done it since. So that could be an option....also it was in the back driver side so i guess its not the steering wheel...my bad...
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Normal issue on new edge cars is the steering rack bushings. You can replace with Ford parts ($15) or order aftermarket bushings from MM or similar for about $50 and solve the problem. Takes 5 minutes to replace them.

I keep a spare set of factory bushings in the garage, whichever car starts making sounds first gets replaced.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Normal issue on new edge cars is the steering rack bushings. You can replace with Ford parts ($15) or order aftermarket bushings from MM or similar for about $50 and solve the problem. Takes 5 minutes to replace them. I keep a spare set of factory bushings in the garage, whichever car starts making sounds first gets replaced.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #11

mine started doing that, i lubed my sway bar bushings and greased my ball joint, sound is completely gone and turns alittle smoother
K.Ledford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Check the boot covers on both the tie rods and balljoints. If they r ripped they need to b replaced especially ball joints. They can cause serious damage if they fail.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
Ball joints
+1 mine did the same thing replaced the ball joints and it quit
mummert_96v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Ball joint...

My car was making that annoying creaking noise for only about THREE DAYS! In those short three days I probably only drove about 25 miles

I was rolling up to a stop sign and my left ball joint separated.
My control arm went slamming to the ground under the weight of the car and the force of the spring. As the control arm was swinging downward it ripped the sheet metal guard off the spindle, and rested inside the wheel where it peeled off a strip of aluminum as the car rolled to a stop. After that the fender was resting on the tire and the left wheel was aimed to the right and the right wheel was aimed straight ahead.

I was going about 3 mph when this happened....... imagine if it had happened 10 minutes later? I was headed toward the interstate and would have been going about 80 mph.

So, how can a ball joint go from silent to noisy to disintegrated in 3 days?
I had an alignment done 4500 miles ago and was told that that time that everything was nice and tight and nothing needed to be replaced. Weird.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
Ball joint... My car was making that annoying creaking noise for only about THREE DAYS! In those short three days I probably only drove about 25 miles I was rolling up to a stop sign and my left ball joint separated. My control arm went slamming to the ground under the weight of the car and the force of the spring. As the control arm was swinging downward it ripped the sheet metal guard off the spindle, and rested inside the wheel where it peeled off a strip of aluminum as the car rolled to a stop. After that the fender was resting on the tire and the left wheel was aimed to the right and the right wheel was aimed straight ahead. I was going about 3 mph when this happened....... imagine if it had happened 10 minutes later? I was headed toward the interstate and would have been going about 80 mph. So, how can a ball joint go from silent to noisy to disintegrated in 3 days? I had an alignment done 4500 miles ago and was told that that time that everything was nice and tight and nothing needed to be replaced. Weird.
She don't do it all the time, nor everytime i turn the wheel, but when it does it's just for a second and usually it happens when the wheel is turned almost the whole way. It's really weird, recently it's started to do it less and less.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

My car makes tiny creaks when I start to turn the wheel either way, but after I get past about a 1/4 turn of the wheel it doesn't make the noise anymore. I think it just needs greased up underneath. Any thoughts?
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoss.20 View Post
My car makes tiny creaks when I start to turn the wheel either way, but after I get past about a 1/4 turn of the wheel it doesn't make the noise anymore. I think it just needs greased up underneath. Any thoughts?
Just wait, lol, my car stopped all by itself. No clue why....
Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #18

Region: Ohio
Hey, I have the same problem with my steering and just recently have it fixed and it was like $230 and my CV joints needed greased. But i also had new fluids but in and etc hope this helped!
99OsuStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #19

CV joint

Mustangs don't have CBS joints unless u put a frontwheel drive motor and tranny which I doubt, it's either ball joints, breaks or bushings makein the noise, just fixed both sides of my 2000
K.Ledford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just wait, lol, my car stopped all by itself. No clue why....
it sounds like it just needs greased to me. Nowhere near what that guys video sounded like.
PRoss.20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« Opinions | Noise »