Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ticking/Grinding From Front of Engine

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Skulls98GT 
#1 ·
I have an 02 v6 looked around the forum but I can't really find enough info. My car started with a tick was told it was idler pulley so I fixed it went away for maybe a day or two and came back. Its been about a month since tick started and now it just terrible. It sound sorta like grinding and ticking from what I think is water pump area, very middle pulley. It doesn't really sound internal but the front of the engine. Used to do it only mornings but now its all day and at least twice a day the sound will get horrible and car will just die and I have to restart it. I have to worry about it throughout the day because it grinds and whatever and the rpms drop drastically like its dying but go back up to normal. I've tried the lubricating pulleys one by one and no success. My a/c and heater also gone bad and only shoot from the defroster so I don't know if it's connected or separate problems. Any help will be appreciated greatly

#2 ·
It sounds like you may have both a vacuum leak somewhere and a bad belt.
You may have messed up by putting the "belt dressing" on. It wreaks havoc with the pulleys on a serpentine system. You may have to take the pulleys off and clean them real good.
Get the car checked for codes...

#5 ·
I actually reduced about 90% of the noise now. I disassembled the steering fluid base thingy and the water pump and took off the alternator and everything and I was surprised to see that absolutely nothing was wring with the water pump. I turned on the car for about 20sec without any of those things on to see if it was still making noise and sure enough it was and it was coming fron the wall the back of the water pump lines up with even touching the wall you can feel the knocking. I eventually realized it was something with my timing chain. I couldn't disassemble more cause never opened up an engine but I did clean this thing which my dad said it was the distributor and I soaked it with lubricant and an immense amount of dirt came flooding out. Put it all together and turned on car and it was amazingly quiet. Once in a while the noise comes back but instead of grinding it just sounds like water going through a tube or something and every week I'm cleaning that distributor thing again to get it cleaned up hopefully 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.