Mods for CARB States? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question Mods for CARB States?

Here's the deal, I'm looking to add a little more power to my 40th Anniversary 'Stang; however, I live in California... the infamous state known for making everything fun illegal.

So far, I've added a K&N CAI, various MSD parts, and I'm planning to change my gear ratio to 3.73s. Anyone know of any legal mods that'll get me more HP & Torque without me getting pulled over, failing smog, or anything else?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you gotten a tune yet?
JimmyMosqueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Cali is pretty easy to get around if you know how to. Gears, tune and o/r exhaust.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Superchargers are carb legal

Basically don't get an offroad midpipe

Do suspension stuff
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Superchargers are carb legal Basically don't get an offroad midpipe Do suspension stuff
Anything that has a CARB sticker are legal in Cali. Some superchargers are not CARB legal.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Superchargers are carb legal Basically don't get an offroad midpipe Do suspension stuff
I live in Cali and have an o/r midpipe. Just take 30 minutes to swap it out every 2 years. It's LTs that would be a PITA in Cali

HID end all thread
Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Yeah but some superchargers ARE and that's def better than none

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Don't these mods make our car run better/efficiently? I don't see why we should even have to have our cars inspected.

Politics maybe?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A tune would be one of my next mods! I'm thinking of getting a Bama tuner from AM, but I'd like to change my gears and maybe something else before I tune it so it can wrap the whole package up.

What really sucks is, I can't touch the headers, convert to dual exhaust, change the throttle body, and as you guys have stated... SOME Superchargers are legal while others are not, and even when it comes to tuning, a lot of fellow Californians recommend taking the tune off 2 weeks before SMOG to avoid failing, haha.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Yeah but some superchargers ARE and that's def better than none ---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ---------- Don't these mods make our car run better/efficiently? I don't see why we should even have to have our cars inspected. Politics maybe?
Exactly!! Our cars have 4 cats as it is, if you were to for some reason add 2 more cats you would then fail smog while putting out less emissions.

It's all the dumb politics thinking cars are putting out more gasses than they really are. I can name other things the government supports that puts out well over x6000 (not even making that number up) carbon gasses into the air than cars.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInstinct View Post
A tune would be one of my next mods! I'm thinking of getting a Bama tuner from AM, but I'd like to change my gears and maybe something else before I tune it so it can wrap the whole package up. What really sucks is, I can't touch the headers, convert to dual exhaust, change the throttle body, and as you guys have stated... SOME Superchargers are legal while others are not, and even when it comes to tuning, a lot of fellow Californians recommend taking the tune off 2 weeks before SMOG to avoid failing, haha.
Yes you can change to dual exhaust. Anything you do after the cats is legal, and the cats are before the y pipe, so you can legally go dual exhaust. And you can get headers, I know JBA makes CARB legal headers but I'm not sure if they are for 99-04 V6 models

HID end all thread
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Luckily I don't have to smog my car for 2 years mane ill just figure it out when the time comes lol

My brother told me he have the guy a c note to pass his crappy Honda accord and he did it.

He told me I should take it there also
Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
OP, tune before gears

1. If gears before you can afford a tune your odometer will be off along with the speedo, if you're not careful can get you into trouble not to mention it screws up your mileage.

2. You can change the gear ratio in the tuner yourself without having to wait for a retune, by using the optional parameters.

I can get you setup with a great tune from Ortiz, he tuned my built car better via email than the dyno shop I brought it to before. haha

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the late reply, guys! I took a nice camping trip over the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yes you can change to dual exhaust. Anything you do after the cats is legal, and the cats are before the y pipe, so you can legally go dual exhaust. And you can get headers, I know JBA makes CARB legal headers but I'm not sure if they are for 99-04 V6 models
Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to look around and see if JBA has these for my model.

As for dual exhaust conversion kits, pardon me, you're right! I was wrong about that.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
OP, tune before gears

1. If gears before you can afford a tune your odometer will be off along with the speedo, if you're not careful can get you into trouble not to mention it screws up your mileage.

2. You can change the gear ratio in the tuner yourself without having to wait for a retune, by using the optional parameters.

I can get you setup with a great tune from Ortiz, he tuned my built car better via email than the dyno shop I brought it to before. haha
I appreciate your information as well. Heck, thanks to everybody who's replied to my thread! Who's Ortiz, though? Have patience with me, I'm new to this forum haha. Are there major differences between his tunes and Bama tunes? How much are his tunes?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInstinct View Post

I appreciate your information as well. Heck, thanks to everybody who's replied to my thread! Who's Ortiz, though? Have patience with me, I'm new to this forum haha. Are there major differences between his tunes and Bama tunes? How much are his tunes?
Mustang junkie from Texas lol yes he does a lot better tuning than the canned tunes from AM, he actually uses datalogs to see how the car is running and responding to the tune instead of just giving you a tune and hoping to not hear back about problems. He outdone the dyno shop I took my car to before with his email tuning haha

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 11-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Mustang junkie from Texas lol yes he does a lot better tuning than the canned tunes from AM, he actually uses datalogs to see how the car is running and responding to the tune instead of just giving you a tune and hoping to not hear back about problems. He outdone the dyno shop I took my car to before with his email tuning haha
Do his tunes come with a tuner and can you have different types of tunes such as a more fuel efficient tune and then a performance octane tune?
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000stanguy View Post

Do his tunes come with a tuner and can you have different types of tunes such as a more fuel efficient tune and then a performance octane tune?
Yes a handheld is available aside from just tunes if you already have one. He can set it up whatever fuel you want to use, of course.

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes a handheld is available aside from just tunes if you already have one. He can set it up whatever fuel you want to use, of course.
Does the tuner that comes with it hold more than one type of tune? Could I put a fuel efficient tune and a performance tune on the same handheld and switch between the two like with the Bama tuner on AM?
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, every handheld does that sir lol

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, every handheld does that sir lol
How much would it cost for the handheld tuner and a custom tune made?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000stanguy View Post

How much would it cost for the handheld tuner and a custom tune made?
Sent ya a pm

blower/new cam soon
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, thanks 2000stanguy and davidcseifert for asking and answering pretty much every question I had lol. Almost like a "FAQs" page.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang