wierd whining sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
wierd whining sound

So I have a 2000 mustang, v6 and auto. If the car has been sitting for a while (2-3 hours) the car makes this wierd whining sound when started, then the sound goes away after about 15 seconds. The car does not do it if you start it up recently from the last time you turned it off though. It also sometimes makes the sound when coming to a stop at a stop light, but goes away the second you press the gas. The previous owner had put some sort of cheap remote start on it, and that was my first idea, but we have disconnected all of that. The closest sound i can compare it to would be a Whipple spinning at like a million rpms lol, but trust me, the engine is stock as far as i know. The car has around 130,000 miles, so I wouldnt be surprised by anything lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
black_stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_stang96 View Post
So I have a 2000 mustang, v6 and auto. If the car has been sitting for a while (2-3 hours) the car makes this wierd whining sound when started, then the sound goes away after about 15 seconds. The car does not do it if you start it up recently from the last time you turned it off though. It also sometimes makes the sound when coming to a stop at a stop light, but goes away the second you press the gas. The previous owner had put some sort of cheap remote start on it, and that was my first idea, but we have disconnected all of that. The closest sound i can compare it to would be a Whipple spinning at like a million rpms lol, but trust me, the engine is stock as far as i know. The car has around 130,000 miles, so I wouldnt be surprised by anything lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Clean iac and maf..that may help? 2-3 hours is not a while for a car sit..
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Clean iac and maf..that may help? 2-3 hours is not a while for a car sit..
What is an iac? Sorry, im not incredibly car savvy haha. And the maf was cleaned recently because of a starting problem, which ended up being a weird battery cable somehow lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exhaust leak maybe?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
What is an iac? Sorry, im not incredibly car savvy haha. And the maf was cleaned recently because of a starting problem, which ended up being a weird battery cable somehow lol
Idle air control
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Exhaust leak maybe?
Maybe, I cant really rule out anything so far:/ but it goes away after 15 seconds or so of starting the car, if it was an exhaust leak wouldnt it be constant?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe, I cant really rule out anything so far:/ but it goes away after 15 seconds or so of starting the car, if it was an exhaust leak wouldnt it be constant?
Exhaust leaks sound in a cold start. Depending in the severity of the leak. It sounds like a whining sound but goes away when the car gets hot
Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post

Exhaust leaks sound in a cold start. Depending in the severity of the leak. It sounds like a whining sound but goes away when the car gets hot
Oh okay. That'll be the next thing to check then. Any suggestions on how to check for one? Like I said earlier, im not too car savvy lol
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh okay. That'll be the next thing to check then. Any suggestions on how to check for one? Like I said earlier, im not too car savvy lol
You can either lift up the hood and listen for the whine or take it to a shop to run a sort if smoke test. They basically run smoke through your system and the smoke will escape through your pipes and the leak
Old 11-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So this thread is pretty much dead now, but I figured I would resolve it haha. After I actually found time to have a shop look at it, we figured out that it was a bad smog pump making the whining noise on startup. So $300 later its fixed, with an oil change as well oh, and the shop even washed and waxed my car! I had never seen that before haha!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang