1995 3.8 v6 auto troubleshooting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #1

Region: Florida
1995 3.8 v6 auto troubleshooting

i am new to this forum but not new to forums i just purchased a 95 v6 mustang for daily commuting and it has a check engine light on and hesitates bad when accelerating . I replaced the maf the air filter and spark plug wires and alternator still hasnt made a difference ... i dont want to pay someone to run my code just looking for some input on what direction i should go . thanks for reading hoping this will help me fix my problem
littlehery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you have a autozone close to you they do free code readings at least where I live they do
Codyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

i went to advanced and they told me they dont carry the reader for my year so i did those few replacements while i was there figured it would make some kind of difference and nothing ... im thinking eather the distributor may be going bad? or its another kind of sensor just looking to see if this has happened to anybody else . the car has 100,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well mine never has had the problem with acceleration but it has the check engine light on but I heard that can be caused by just the simplest of things
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

its bad when i accelerate.. if hit the gas then stop it almost wants to die, then when i proceed again its even worse than when i first started . its almost like its being choked and not getting full ignition of the fuel
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That happend once but it wasn't constant I had to replace my alternator and my starter had a lose wire the mechanic said I couldn't get enough power cause of it
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

the car has been parked and pulled off the road. its not safe to drive pulling out onto roads is nearly impossible unless theirs a huge gap for me to slowly get up to speed . but i am at loss of what to do i am not to familiar with the 3.8
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Feel free to guess and replace as many parts as you wish.
Auto zone has the tool. Guess why a check engine light is on HHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMM. The possibilities are endless Get it diagnosed from a parts store and narrow the problem down. A code reader from a parts store can give you several different answers. Post the answers or go to a professional. They will solve your problem.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #9

i get what your saying i just posted for feedback i will take it to autozone now that im aware they have the tool . i was misinformed by advanced so i based everything off of that and i didnt want to take it some shop if i didnt have to . seems to me that autozone will be my next stop . i will post a update as soon as i get one thank you for your feedback
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehery View Post
i get what your saying i just posted for feedback i will take it to autozone now that im aware they have the tool . i was misinformed by advanced so i based everything off of that and i didnt want to take it some shop if i didnt have to . seems to me that autozone will be my next stop . i will post a update as soon as i get one thank you for your feedback
Your welcome. It is expensive to play the guessing game. The problem could be a coil pack, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor, and ect. The Windstar and F-150 v-6 are very similar in design but do not have a electric fuel pressure sensor. Now I am babbling. To be just, the Mustang has a computer with a brain to diagnose the problem for you.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
94+ are all OBD2 so they use the same scanner, retards at advanced ftl...

Chocking on acceleration can be the cats clogged, when they get bad it pretty much falls on its face anytime you WOT

The CEL doesn't flash anytime does it? Misfiring could mean messed up plugs wires coil

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I had your same exact problem, the code read missfire cylinder #2, changed spark plugs, nothing, wires, nothing, then finally replaced my coil pack and the problem was gone. Try replacing the coil pack, they tend to go bad at around ~100k anyways
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^if he has a misfire code maybe, I'm still rocking the stock coil at 160K

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
^if he has a misfire code maybe, I'm still rocking the stock coil at 160K
That's what i'm saying, and 160k? You're damn lucky, lol, most people have them break at a little over 100k, i guess stuff will break whenever it wants to break. Lol
sebasflorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

One of the very few original pieces on my car lol

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang