Need FAST advice on an engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
Need FAST advice on an engine swap

I'm going to cut to the chase, I have to make a decision by tomorrow.

I have a high mileage V6 3.8 L engine in my 1999. Its the original motor but after 184,000miles seems to be developing a knock, sounds like a lifter to me..

I can get a 1997 OBD2 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 V8 for $200 FULLY DRESSED. It has everything, belt is still on it with all accessories.. It has 77,000 miles on it. Runs perfectly.

Its very cheap and I have the mechanical ability to pull my v6 and drop in the v8, but i'm not very familiar with the V8 setup.

My questions:
  1. Has anyone insured a vehicle with a swapped motor?
  2. Will this motor clear my hood?
  3. Is this motor any more powerful than what I currently have (though I'm replacing because its cheap and my motor is dying)
  4. Will I need the whole K member setup and where does the K member bolt on?
  5. Will the exhaust still bolt up to my existing exhaust? I have true dual from a GT but not sure if the 4.6 manifolds/headers end further back
  6. Also, will I have to change the gauges? or is that just for people who want the GT look?

Like I said, I'm not looking to build a racer. I'm a college student looking for the cheapest way to keep my car on the road.

Thanks in advance
taylorsfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I couldn't answer any of these questions but thats a good price and if you know how to do it all I'd go for it
Codyty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsfields View Post
I'm going to cut to the chase, I have to make a decision by tomorrow. I have a high mileage V6 3.8 L engine in my 1999. Its the original motor but after 184,000miles seems to be developing a knock, sounds like a lifter to me.. I can get a 1997 OBD2 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 V8 for $200 FULLY DRESSED. It has everything, belt is still on it with all accessories.. It has 77,000 miles on it. Runs perfectly. Its very cheap and I have the mechanical ability to pull my v6 and drop in the v8, but i'm not very familiar with the V8 setup. My questions:[*]Has anyone insured a vehicle with a swapped motor?[*]Will this motor clear my hood?[*]Is this motor any more powerful than what I currently have (though I'm replacing because its cheap and my motor is dying)[*]Will I need the whole K member setup and where does the K member bolt on?[*]Will the exhaust still bolt up to my existing exhaust? I have true dual from a GT but not sure if the 4.6 manifolds/headers end further back[*]Also, will I have to change the gauges? or is that just for people who want the GT look? Like I said, I'm not looking to build a racer. I'm a college student looking for the cheapest way to keep my car on the road. Thanks in advance
I could tell you straight off the bat that the 4.6 will be way more powerful than the v6 you had. The k member also should work for you, you may have to buy appropriate engine mounts"just get oem 99 gt ones. The exhaust manifolds probably won't line up with your current exhaust so be prepared to buy headers. You will also need the computer that goes with that engine. It may not be just 200$ to do everything and may be labor intensive. I don't truly know if it will fit but being a 4.6 and that's what they used in 99 gt's it has to.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
[*]Has anyone insured a vehicle with a swapped motor?[*]Will this motor clear my hood?[*]Is this motor any more powerful than what I currently have (though I'm replacing because its cheap and my motor is dying)[*]Will I need the whole K member setup and where does the K member bolt on?[*]Will the exhaust still bolt up to my existing exhaust? I have true dual from a GT but not sure if the 4.6 manifolds/headers end further back[*]Also, will I have to change the gauges? or is that just for people who want the GT look?
First of all, that's a good price for the engine.

You'd have to report the swap to your insurance and quite possibly the dmv, depending on your state laws. Your insurance can void your claim for any little detail.

I'm certain it will clear the hood, no supercharger on it or anything right? Lol

Yes, it is powerful.

Not sure about the k member though might be the same, might not. You're gonna have to double check the fitment or swap k members

Probably not bolt on. You'd need new headers

Gauges, you can use your own if you're a wiz with wiring and stuff. You will need a new computer for that engine though. I recommend changing out the main harness and hardwiring all the accessories to make it easier but that's just me
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
I'm going to cut to the chase, I have to make a decision by tomorrow.

I have a high mileage V6 3.8 L engine in my 1999. Its the original motor but after 184,000miles seems to be developing a knock, sounds like a lifter to me..

I can get a 1997 OBD2 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 V8 for $200 FULLY DRESSED. It has everything, belt is still on it with all accessories.. It has 77,000 miles on it. Runs perfectly.

Its very cheap and I have the mechanical ability to pull my v6 and drop in the v8, but i'm not very familiar with the V8 setup.

My questions:
  1. Has anyone insured a vehicle with a swapped motor?
yes, many people have

Quote:
Will this motor clear my hood?

since you mustang came with the 4.6l as an option, yes it will fit under the hood.

Quote:
Is this motor any more powerful than what I currently have (though I'm replacing because its cheap and my motor is dying)

yes it is more powerful than what you have.

Quote:
Will I need the whole K member setup and where does the K member bolt on?

no, the stock mustang K member was designed for both engines. has been for sometime.

Quote:
Will the exhaust still bolt up to my existing exhaust? I have true dual from a GT but not sure if the 4.6 manifolds/headers end further back

your current exhaust may fit, not sure about that since you have had it modified to work with the V6.

Quote:
Also, will I have to change the gauges? or is that just for people who want the GT look?

you shouldnt have to change the gauges, but be sure the lincoln wiring harness is well marked as to where each wire goes.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not looking to build a racer. I'm a college student looking for the cheapest way to keep my car on the road.
in reality the cheapest way back on the road is to find another 3.8 in decent shape and use that motor in your car, it is a direct bolt in and uses all the stock sensors and wiring harnesses, as well as the stock transmission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang