just how fast can you go - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tek55 Send a message via AIM to tek55 Send a message via Yahoo to tek55
just how fast can you go

Ok, so, I know i was speeding...

I was going 115 on the freeway to beat some ricer, and stupid me, I didn't see a cop, so as I hit the straightaway and leave everyone behind in the dust, I get comfortable winning and slow down, then out of nowhere a cop comes and pulls me over..

I get a ticket for driving in excess of 100 in a 65 zone.

Now, I know i sped, and I know this ticket has been LONG over due for the amount I speed...

my ONLY question is...

as i was driving home, cautious of my speed, so anal rententive about not breaking 65 in case he followed me, i know he wouldn't have, nor did he, but in "case" he might have, i stayed 65 on the dot... and I watched as every single car on the freeway flew by me.... the standard for 65 mph... now, if the sign says Maximum 65, and every single other car on the road disregards that and such, my question is this... HOW FAST is legally acceptable... because some of these cars were easily doing 80, 90 around the area the cop was and he didn't seem to care. I know anythign over 100 is blatantly a crime especially when you fly right by a cop... but the point remains...

how fast can you go without getting caught, knowing that the limit is 65 and disregarding it...

doesn't it seem like if no one follows it, it has lost it's importance? Seems like it's only there to allow them to make more money off tickets.
tek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
that's the dilemna isn't it. i drive a red mustang, so i have to be careful. the "max" is 70 here, i go 75 and people still fly by me at 90, so who knows any more... if i were to get pulled over i'd be so sarcastic with the cop like "i don't know why you pulled ME over officer, i was the slowest car on the highway just then"

cops suck
Old 11-30-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tek55 Send a message via AIM to tek55 Send a message via Yahoo to tek55
yeah, piece of **** *** ricer didn't get pulled over even though he was going crazy trying to beat me, in and out of traffic, almost got into bout 3 accidents that i saw b4 i whooped his ***... but he didn't get caught, who cares about some junky *** p.o.s. car... oh well
tek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
:no: :no:
Old 11-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
HOW FAST is legally acceptable
Whatever's on the last sign you passed. You can get ticketed for 1 mile/hour over.

Quote:
doesn't it seem like if no one follows it, it has lost it's importance? Seems like it's only there to allow them to make more money off tickets.
speed limits are there for a reason, even if they aren't obeyed. they're still important, and necessary as a traffic control device, and as an objective (as such there can be) limit as to how fast one can "safely" drive on that piece of tarmac.

As for why people do or do not get pulled over? Who knows. I've been pulled over for doing 65 in a 55 rural, while being overlooked doing 80 in a 55 highway. It's the prerogative of the police. They simply can't catch everyone. Most of the time, the tallest weed gets the whack. Sometimes, it's not.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
i just flow with traffic... usually a tad faster

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Hell in Atlanta if you dont do 85 mph on I-85 everyone will be passing you. Typically I do 80 on the interstate and pass cops all the time without any problems
Old 12-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
this thread is the epitome of why this whole forum should go away.

:no:
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang

Dude why would you say that !!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang

Dude why would you say that !!!!
because this site doesn't need a street racing section, it just serves no purpose besides letting kids and immature adults tell how cool they were going at 115mph at the rev limiter when the next time they do that they could kill othe rpeople or themselves. street racing is gay, the only kind i would participate in is out in the country where no one is, and shutting down part of a road, which i've taken part in. city street racing is a bad idea on all accounts. i have been there and done that. i would like to say i matured and now realize you 1) don't learn a damned thing about your car because there is no timeslips 2) could kill someone or yourself 3) get a ticket, which would have paid for a LOT of track visits. i won't say i don't fool around with other cars on the road but i never exceed 10-15mph over the speed limit nor do it in heavy traffic.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

City racing should only be done blind folded and sitting backwards and using your toes to steer !!!!!

J/K Actually city racing is dumb and reckless. Open interstates is about as a safe illeagal street racing can get and should never be done where you can see over a couple of miles ahead
Old 12-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to 98GreenStallion
This thanksgiving on the way up to my destination, on the interstate I was going 75 and these 2 cars, a Volvo and some crapy van blew past me at about 85-90 mph, and when that happens I juts automaticly wanna speed up. But I didnt and sure enough there was a cop waiting in the middle ditch and he turned his lights on. I though he was coming for me, so I pulled over and he flew past and got the Volvo. It was funny cuz they had just gotton past me, then I nearly ran into them because they laid on the brakes hard!! Anyways my point is that, if your going far over the limit the cops will most likely get you.

The fastest Ive gone in my car was 95 and that was on a lake road with nothing in sight for miles. Like I said in a different thread, my cousin drove me around public highways and such at over 120mph. VERY SCARY

Mods: BV heads, cut and weld upper, fully ported lower, 216/225 cam, 1.73 RR's, 60mm TB, 19# injectors, new timing set, 25% UDP, CAI, SCT chip, PCV delete, EGR delete, MAC LT headers, O/R H-pipe, durablack cat-back...

www.rpm-mustangs.com

RDmotorsport

New dyno
193.8rwhp/238.9 rwtq
98GreenStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:35 AM   #13
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

on my way home for thanksgiving i wanted to see what my car was capable of so i just buried my speedometer. If there were numbers it would have easily said 135... unfortunately i dunno how fast i was going because my speedometer is off, so i guess ill never know it was fun however... kind of a rush goin that fast and i was still going when i shut down. My RPMs were at about 4100 so i had a bit extra room to play with.

BTW, there were no cars on that stretch of highway so i figured i was golden

I like toys
Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Like bluedonkey said, you can get pulled over for 1 mph over the speed limit. I can't say a word about racing or speeding because I always end up doing it no matter how hard I try. But...racing in the city and excessively speeding while other people are on the road is extremely stupid and you should be pulled over. That is just plain stupid. I used to do it all the time...wreck changed all that. All I'm saying is that there are times and places for that crap. I'll be honest, I topped 115 this past weekend on a 2 lane country highway cause I was bored. Stupid of me but at least the only person I would have killed would be myself. If you insist on speeding and racing, do it by yourself so you won't kill anyone else. I have a friend that will attest to this fact. Not telling you to stop, just telling you to expect those tickets and don't be an *** to the cop when he catches you. BTW, I go to court monday for my ticket...driving school here I come

PS...don't tell your gf about doing this type of stuff, they enjoy freaking out about it...not fun at all.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Stupid of me but at least the only person I would have killed would be myself. If you insist on speeding and racing, do it by yourself so you won't kill anyone else.
While I agree with the sentiment, in practice this doesn't work. You can never really know what's up ahead, or on the sides of the road, whether it's a cop or little Johnny Spazzo, just up from missing a Ritalin dose. If you want to race, do it on a track or dragstrip, where the conditions are controlled. Pushing the limits of man and machine is dangerous and thrilling enough without the added uncertainties that public ways bring.

If you need to race on actual public roads, then sign up for this: http://www.silverstateclassic.com/
Even with them, only the top echelon can go as fast as they want, the rest have to match an average speed, and not be caught exceeding a maximum.

Just me opining, anyway

Ps: And also, it bugs me when people complain about getting caught. Actions have consequences. If you break the law and get caught, please don't whine about how someone else was acting worse than you. It's not only an argumentative fallacy, but it also strikes me as immature and the attitude of a toddler.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Holy crap. I never ever visit this section and now I come here once and see this thread which gives me the perfect opportunity to tell my story that just happened today. So I was on the I-10 and I was going 80... And this pretty hot chick in a civic starts following me.. So I speed up to 90... And she does too. Speed limit is 70. So after a few miles she suddenly slows down to like 80... And I'm like: : So then I slow down a tad too... And then she pulls into the next lane over and RIGHT behind her (and now me) is a California Highway Patrol unit... I'm like: Oh ****. Because I knew I was screwed good and hard. But anyway.. I don't make any sudden moves or noises.. And he follows me for about 4 miles at 80.. Then 78... Then 75.. But yeah.. I was going 75 and he kept following me and then just got in the other lane and exitted the freeway. I have no idea why I didn't get rolled. I would have arrested myself if I were him. That freaked me out. Thanks for reading!
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #17
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

u rock laser

I like toys
Old 12-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. I rock and escaped a $300 ticket all in the same day. You rock pretty hard yourself.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Update: And then today I was driving down the exact same stretch of freeway, going 80, and this white car starts to pass me on the left... And, of course, I'm again like: : Because nobody ever passes me. I'm immature and have to be in front of everyone else. So I speed up a little bit... And he speeds up more.. And I look over at him to see what his problem is... and he's a ****ing California Highway Patrol officer in an plain white, unmarked crown victoria! I see the uniform and badge and all. And he RAISES AN EYEBROW at me.. On the freeway.. Going 85+... Then I sheepishly slow down. He had lights too.. But they were on his trunk.. It was weird. Once again, I should have been brought to justice, but managed to escape... One of these days I won't be so lucky......
Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
^BAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJA

oh god, that's great
Old 12-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #21
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

dude you really rock laser

I like toys
Old 01-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
ricers....lol

i can relate to your dilemma. I have a 1998 V6 stang with a vortech V2 blower on it and I cant help but speed because that car is so much fun. Why go slow when you can go fast? But to the point... Around here in wisconsin you would think there arent cops in miles (depending on where in WI u are) but anyhoo, I was driving down the highway at around 70 or so, you know...keeping up with the flow as everyone else does... until this ****ty "riced out" Ford (and when I say ford im using the term loosely and if u saw this car you would know why) Thunderbird V6. And when I say ugly, this car was ugly. Euro lights all around, black racing stripes, side exhaust pipes, and 17" cobra wheels, yes, cobra wheels on a early - mid 90's T-bird. He pulls up behind me in the left lane of the highway and gets all up on my *** like I can go faster, even though there is a semi infront of me, and a semi to the right of me so I cant pass. I brake check him slighty and he backed off a little, but then came right back up closer then ever. As soon as I was able to go around the sem i infront of me, the race was on. I started thunderin down the highway and was nearin 90 and the T-bird was struggling to keep up, but once he did, I just stomped my little 3.8 to the floor and didnt see his ugly car no more, but then when I went flying past an unmarked po-po at an unknown speed (my speedo was pinned at 120) I decided to slow down and get off the highway ASAP. I saw a taco bell so I hit that up for some food and while im chowin down that same cop rolls up and parks right next to mine and sits there waiting for me to come out. I had no choice so I walked up to my car. He gets out and asks for my license...bla bla bla, then hands me a ticket walks back to his car. I said hey, did u ticket that white thunderbird, and he says: "What thunderbird?" That stupid thunderbird got owned and is never gonna be seen again by me or the cops and im sittin here with a speeding ticket for doing 131 in a 65. Ouch. Talk about license suspension.

"3.8 in my Stang and damn proud of it. Yet its smoked many GT's.... Thanks Vortech!"
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #23
Regular

wow dude thats a very very nice car you got there. Hope to see you on the boards more.

What other stuff have you done to your car other than a blower?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

dual flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a homemade H-pipe, ported and polished heads, I did gasket matching on the heads and intake, decked the heads, then I sent the heads out to get a fresh valve job, and now im working on chroming out stuff on the engine, i.e. chrome braided hoses, valve covers, core support..etc Then maybe I will tint my windows and call it a day...lol

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #25
Regular

Have you got the car dynoed?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

nah I just havent got around to it. im guessing its got 250hp...but thats just my best guess, I can be wrong and probably am wrong.

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang