96-98 Manifolds - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
96-98 Manifolds

I read the 1st sticky in this section about exhaust. I am only providing a few pics and sharing what I did,.. My 01 v6 had a cracked "replacement" manifold. It looks closer to a "log" style as opposed a typical shorty header. I have previously done this before a while back on a 98 v6 I had built. Any way, new to me 96-98 headers($40 shipped from a "corral" member). I welded around the outside of the tubes for each port, then ground out the inside weld. I do not have that pic, sorry lol. But just imagine it .. Anyway the 2 pics I do have is from the stock cracked takeoff manifolds. The i.d. of the collector is 2". That is tiny... The i.d. of the 96-98 shorty is 2.19" , I basically just "cleaned out" the collector and its opened up to 2.25"... Now for $40 plus a little time, I believe I have something just as good as a shorty with out spending $150. Plus, I like the idea of using junk and improving it so-to-speak.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I am hooking these up to an H-pipe(I know its even fire engine) and a factory "bullet" catback. The h pipe is 2.5" and the catback is 2.25". With a small v-6 I really believe a full 2.5" isn't necessary, especially n/a. Anyway, maybe this could help someone
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have a set. A guy on here calls them turbo headers. The only bad thing is they rust the under carriage. It does not matter if you paint them they will still rust. I recommend spaying the area with a bed liner spray.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

mine have the surface rust. I "remember when" my brother would heat his headers, off the car of course, with an acetylene torch then rub them down with trans fluid. This was back before thermal coatings Maybe 25 yrs ago. never rusted. My nephew says some circle trackers still do this. No rust. but ugly for sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang