SR short throw shifter problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
SR short throw shifter problems

Hey guys, I'm having problems with the new SR short throw shifter I just bought for my 99 v6. Install went just fine, the shifter goes through all gears except reverse.. That's the first problem. Problem 2 is clearance. The shift knob is going into my radio everytime I shift into 1st, 3rd and 5th. Anybody ever had this same problem? If so, how did you fix it?
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
97cutomstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenixville/Linwood
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 164
There should be two set screws one on top toward the radio and one opposite of that. They are supposed to stop the shifter after it goes into gear. Did you adjust them at all?
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cutomstang View Post
There should be two set screws one on top toward the radio and one opposite of that. They are supposed to stop the shifter after it goes into gear. Did you adjust them at all?
I adjusted the bottom one, top one was a pain in the a$$ so I said forget it. But that may very well be the solution.
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
97cutomstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenixville/Linwood
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 164
Yea more then likely it is. Should be better when you adjust that. Not sure why you can't put it in reverse. I would double check that nothing fell in there blocking the handle from going all the way over.
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Ok so I went and finagled with the top screw. You were right, it's not knocking the radio now. So thanks man! But the whole reverse thing is really stumping me.
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
97cutomstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenixville/Linwood
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 164
No problem. Do you have the car running when you try to put it in reverse?
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Yes. See I thought during the install that it didn't go into reverse because the car is off. But when I crank it up, she still won't go into reverse...
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
97cutomstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenixville/Linwood
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 164
Hmmm... Try letting the clutch out some and see if it maybe falls into gear.
97cutomstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattyp511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 276
My Sr short shifter was hitting my radio also... Turns out it came with the handle part bolted on backwards... Just turned it around and rebolted it and its normal
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
sam62893's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colton
Region: California
Posts: 2,029
Try fiddling around with the gears while the car is off and look for all of them. New shifter so you probably have to move it a certain way
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp511 View Post
My Sr short shifter was hitting my radio also... Turns out it came with the handle part bolted on backwards... Just turned it around and rebolted it and its normal
Are you talking about the two bolts that require the Allan key? I kinda think mine is backwards too. That's a good suggestion.
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Update

Looks great, drives great but still will not go into reverse..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-697082779.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	140015  
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
mattyp511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaStang93 View Post

Are you talking about the two bolts that require the Allan key? I kinda think mine is backwards too. That's a good suggestion.
Yea those are exactly what I'm talking about haha.... Try n turn it around and see if it helps... I had to call american muscle when I had that problem and that's what they said to do, so try it.. you probably have the some problem I did. Just turn it around and you'll get like two more inches of clearance between your radio and shifter
mattyp511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your SR Performance Shifter. It's very odd that you can't get into reverse! I had this same shifter on my 2004 Mach 1 and didn't have any issues. However, I did have to adjust the screws so that it wouldn't hit the radio!

Please shoot me a PM with your order number and we'll look further into this for you. It may be something silly like a small adjustment, but if it's more serious than that we'll definitely get you taken care of right away! I look forward to your PM.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
BamaStang93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Region: Alabama
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your SR Performance Shifter. It's very odd that you can't get into reverse! I had this same shifter on my 2004 Mach 1 and didn't have any issues. However, I did have to adjust the screws so that it wouldn't hit the radio!

Please shoot me a PM with your order number and we'll look further into this for you. It may be something silly like a small adjustment, but if it's more serious than that we'll definitely get you taken care of right away! I look forward to your PM.

-Dan

Thanks Dan! I appreciate it but I have already fixed the problem. I took it to my buddy that does transmissions and we figured that the spring under the gold plate was restricting the shifter from catching into gear. So we cut a coil off from the spring, put it back in the shifter and it went right into reverse! Now the shifts are firmer and quicker! That's why I love AM. Great product, great customer service!
BamaStang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaStang93 View Post
Thanks Dan! I appreciate it but I have already fixed the problem. I took it to my buddy that does transmissions and we figured that the spring under the gold plate was restricting the shifter from catching into gear. So we cut a coil off from the spring, put it back in the shifter and it went right into reverse! Now the shifts are firmer and quicker! That's why I love AM. Great product, great customer service!
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you got everything figured out. Definitely let me know if you run into any further issues and we'll address them right away!

Enjoy your shifter!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:51 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.