4.2 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProjectTurboV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 322
4.2 swap

Still waiting for parts to come in so I'm in the process of painting. I'm curious as to who has done the swap and the problems they have ran into, as well as the solutions. I'm doing a 1998 4.2 into my 98, so I'd rather have the answer to any problem that may surface instead of guessing and wasting money on unneeded parts.
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
Flex plate and harmonic balancer was all I needed.
Also the balance shaft.
I think that's it. Everything else you can reuse from the 3.8
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
Also different oil pan other than that every thing is strait forward and a easy conversion
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProjectTurboV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
Also different oil pan other than that every thing is strait forward and a easy conversion
Should I get an oil pan from a 98 f150 or will any 4.2 oil pan fit?
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
F150 pan won't fit, you want a 01-04 mustang pan.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProjectTurboV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
F150 pan won't fit, you want a 01-04 mustang pan.
The engine is out of a f150 lol
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
Won't fit mustang body though...
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
99-00 oil pan hits main bearing and 4.2 oil pan is too big for k-member
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProjectTurboV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
Won't fit mustang body though...
See I didn't know that, thank you!
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
Also, the 4.2 can is a upgrade compared to any 3.8 can. When I first drove it the torque was really noticeable it pulled a lot harder. Never ran it before, a stock v6 auto is suppose to run 17.5, I was running 16.7's and my reaction time was usually .3. So if I got the reaction down, id be running a 16.4 if I got it timed perfectly.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I can't edit on my phone but to avoid confusion, Its the whole engine not just the can that made the difference, my post made it sound like it was just the cam...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ghostedmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntsville
Region: Alabama
Posts: 918
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
My understanding is that your track time is not effected by your reaction time. I.E. Your 16.7 would have been 16.7 regardless of what your reaction time is.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Also, from what I remember doing research about the cams, the 4.2 cam is more for lower end torque and i belive has a shorter powerband vs the 3.8, the 3.8 cam will give you more in the higher end
__________________
Redfire '04 V6 - K&N CAI, Divorced duals, Bama Tune, EGR Delete, Gauge cluster LED overhaul.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
ProjectTurboV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Maryland
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post
My understanding is that your track time is not effected by your reaction time. I.E. Your 16.7 would have been 16.7 regardless of what your reaction time is.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Also, from what I remember doing research about the cams, the 4.2 cam is more for lower end torque and i belive has a shorter powerband vs the 3.8, the 3.8 cam will give you more in the higher end
With that said, I'm getting the 4.2 cam reground. I'm high compression 4.2 would work better with mire high end power, correct?? So say 110-112lsa???
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
Dont know where your racing at but at most tracks the timer starts when the light goes green, not when the driver gets off the line. I have a .3 reaction between when the light turn s green and when I mash my foot on the gas. So if I got the reaction close to perfect, like .006 I'd be running the 16.5's.



Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I think most high rpm cams are made with lower LSA.
If you get a performance cam, you would notice a bigger gain if you also ported the heads and intake.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Fing phone double posted.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

The 4.2 cam from what I remember makes more power in any of the engines, 4.2 or 3.8. The 3.8 cams are just weak. 4.2 needed to make power, so its a little more beefy than the 3.8 cams.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ghostedmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntsville
Region: Alabama
Posts: 918
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
I think most high rpm cams are made with lower LSA.
If you get a performance cam, you would notice a bigger gain if you also ported the heads and intake.

The 4.2 cam from what I remember makes more power in any of the engines, 4.2 or 3.8. The 3.8 cams are just weak. 4.2 needed to make power, so its a little more beefy than the 3.8 cams.
The cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone on another site
99-up 3.8L
.423/.447 246/262 116 LCA 26 deg overlap

97-up 4.2L
.424/.447 252/270 110 LCA 32 deg overlap

I did some other modeling using the 4.2 cam in a 3.8L = some nice gains. About 5 ft/lbs of torque all through the mid-range and at least 12 HP. Thats a pretty good gain that could get you a couple of tenths in the 1/4 for no $$$. Some of these guys building 4.2s have the stock cams leftover...could be a real cheap alternative to a custom cam
So you're right, the 4.2 cam does add a little more.
__________________
Redfire '04 V6 - K&N CAI, Divorced duals, Bama Tune, EGR Delete, Gauge cluster LED overhaul.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
Also, the 4.2 can is a upgrade compared to any 3.8 can. When I first drove it the torque was really noticeable it pulled a lot harder. Never ran it before, a stock v6 auto is suppose to run 17.5, I was running 16.7's and my reaction time was usually .3. So if I got the reaction down, id be running a 16.4 if I got it timed perfectly.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

I can't edit on my phone but to avoid confusion, Its the whole engine not just the can that made the difference, my post made it sound like it was just the cam...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostedmind View Post

So you're right, the 4.2 cam does add a little more.
I get this from a more accurate sight.
Check the factory cam specks, he is all wrong.

99-03 3.8L XR3Z-6250-CA
178/194 .427/.446 116LCA 111ICL
97-04 4.2L
185/194 .443/.445 112LCA 110ICL
Chad quote:
Edit: 97-04 4.2 uses same cam. 99-03 3.8 uses same cam.
Camshaft specifications - V6Power MessageboardwHICH CAM IS WRIGHT? I do not know. Could they be different? I find inaccurate information on the web all the time.

I would not trust anyone who says the gain from a 4.2 cam is 5hp and 12tq. THE TOTAL GAIN FROM A FACTORY STROKED 4.2 is 5hp. and 15tq. Do you want to tell me a cam did all that? The best cam gain from SSMS which is a copy of the Comp Cam is 15 hp.
Personally a windstar intake swap is better.
1 you do not need a tune
2 the price is lower
3 more hp (7 hp+15 tq)
4 easier for beginners to learn
5 unless you port n polish and cam a 4.2 the gains are not valuable dollar for dollar
jUST TRYING TO KEEP THE SIGHT ACURATE
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Over there
Region: Arizona
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons95 View Post
Dont know where your racing at but at most tracks the timer starts when the light goes green, not when the driver gets off the line. I have a .3 reaction between when the light turn s green and when I mash my foot on the gas. So if I got the reaction close to perfect, like .006 I'd be running the 16.5's.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I think most high rpm cams are made with lower LSA.
If you get a performance cam, you would notice a bigger gain if you also ported the heads and intake.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Fing phone double posted.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

The 4.2 cam from what I remember makes more power in any of the engines, 4.2 or 3.8. The 3.8 cams are just weak. 4.2 needed to make power, so its a little more beefy than the 3.8 cams.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Not sure where your racing, but that's not how it works anywhere. The timer doesn't start until you start moving
87fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ghostedmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntsville
Region: Alabama
Posts: 918
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87fiveoh View Post
Not sure where your racing, but that's not how it works anywhere. The timer doesn't start until you start moving
+1

BTW Lemon, I don't know from experience, I was told that by a co-worker of mine while I was in the military who had been racing Pro-mod, Funny, Rail and other classes for over 15-20 years.
__________________
Redfire '04 V6 - K&N CAI, Divorced duals, Bama Tune, EGR Delete, Gauge cluster LED overhaul.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
I'm going off of what I was told, its why a lot of drivers here try and get double zeroes in the reaction time.
Otherwise it would be mostly car against car, not driver against driver. Most of the pros around here use built auto trannies.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
lemons95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 835
Or are you talking about bracket racing, I googled it. That one the timer starts after the driver moves.
We have that here, but not for the street legal days, just on the competitions. So I've never raced that way.


Sent from my LG-MS770 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,694
4.2 swap

No matter what type of racing you do the reaction time is not counted in the ET. Stock for stock the 4.2 cam is better but it's a small change of course. Tighter lsa tends to lower peak power a small amount, not tremendously.
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:54 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.