please help! overheating while idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
please help! overheating while idle

v6 5 speed manual trans, i tried running the car with the rad cap off and heat on, after about 7 minutes it started rapidly overheating again, idles smooth, radiator fan works, but it doesnt blow any warm air through the fans its cold as hell and my ac dont even work, engine didnt seem too hot but the temp gauge flew way up from the 5 to 7 minute mark of it running idle, i have no clue what could be causing it to overheat so fast or why at all. i dont think its a head gasket, no smoke from exhaust, someone please help!
wootman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootman101 View Post
v6 5 speed manual trans, i tried running the car with the rad cap off and heat on, after about 7 minutes it started rapidly overheating again, idles smooth, radiator fan works, but it doesnt blow any warm air through the fans its cold as hell and my ac dont even work, engine didnt seem too hot but the temp gauge flew way up from the 5 to 7 minute mark of it running idle, i have no clue what could be causing it to overheat so fast or why at all. i dont think its a head gasket, no smoke from exhaust, someone please help!
Maybe your thermostat is getting stuck closed. Check that. Is it throwing any codes?
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Change your coolant. I had an issue like that and when I took out my old one and put fresh coolant it didn't overheat again(knock on wood)
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
What kind of shape is the radiator in? Make sure it's not clogged up with dirt, leaves, grim, etc. If the fans aren't able to pull any air through the radiator, then it has no means to cool the coolant. Take a closer look at the radiator and make sure it's in decent shape.

It's unlikely to be the thermostat, as if they break they end to get stuck open- not usually closed. Lastly, check out the condition of the coolant. When was the last time it was changed?

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
If you have any rust in your water the thermostat can get rusted stuck closed. If it is not the thermostat it is probably the water pump because it is over heating so fast. Make sure the water is circulating.
You can take the thermostat out and test it. Drop it in a pot of boiling water . If it opens it is good.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bad temperature sending unit or gage?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
When you had it at idle with the radiator cap off was the water flowing? If not your water pump is bad change it and while your in there get a new thermostat and coolant.
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Some water wetter
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Is the overflow full? If so, is it bubbling?

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
Bad temperature sending unit or gage?
You can check that by taking a DVOM to the temp sender. You will be able to see the resistance increases and or decrease as the motor warms up and or cools down.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

i'll chdeck it out in the morning thanks! and im not sure i havent had a way to get anywhere to get codes checked haha

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

ive changed all of the coolant because i just changed the water pump but thanks for the suggestion!

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

the radiator is actually in good shape, no clogging that i could see, i just changed the coolant yesterday when i changed my water pump

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

cool its probably the thermostat then because i just changed the water pump and coolant yesterday

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

im pretty sure its flowing, i can feel it in the hoses unless its just air circulating, and i just changed the water pump and coolant yesterday so i'll check the thermostat tomorrow

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

whats that? lol
Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #11

i filled the coolant tank and as much as i had left in the overflow tank but it wasnt full as far as i could tell, i'll put more in tomorrow and check, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
i'll chdeck it out in the morning thanks! and im not sure i havent had a way to get anywhere to get codes checked haha ---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ---------- ive changed all of the coolant because i just changed the water pump but thanks for the suggestion! ---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ---------- the radiator is actually in good shape, no clogging that i could see, i just changed the coolant yesterday when i changed my water pump ---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ---------- cool its probably the thermostat then because i just changed the water pump and coolant yesterday ---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ---------- im pretty sure its flowing, i can feel it in the hoses unless its just air circulating, and i just changed the water pump and coolant yesterday so i'll check the thermostat tomorrow ---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ---------- whats that? lol
If you just change the water pump you have air in the line and block sane thing happened to my girl friends impala when I changed the water pump. Take the cap off the radiator and on the line so d where you will see a small bleed screw undo that and just work the rubber lines till water comes out and you may have more than 1 bleed screw.
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

ok can you give me a better description how to bleed it man? like which hose should i disconnect and do i gotta start the car with the cap off and let it run through the system like that? i changed the water pump 2 days ago and just did the thermostat today but still overheating and the heat in my car isnt working just blowing cold air
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #14

ok guys i got it bled and no more overheating!!! thanks!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang