Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1999 3.8 to 5.0 swap

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  lemons95 
#1 ·
So I found a rather cheap 5.0 engine and I'm looking into swapping it into my 99 v6. What all will I need? I heard a few people say the v6 transmission will bolt up to the 5.0 with a new bell housing, and the rear end would hold up. Right now I'm just looking to get the stock 5.0 motor in there, and then upgrade everything else later

#4 · (Edited)
Well a 96 is a 4.6l so no but that's what I was saying I don't know if a 94 to 95 one will fit I know the fox body k member won't fit there maybe a company that makes a tubular k member that fits a 5.0 in it and if your v6 has a t5 it may work i would look up the specs on the tranny and rear end to see if they changed anything in the t5 for the v6 and what size the rear end is if its a 8.8 you'd be fine

#10 ·
The cost will probably decide whether I go carbed or not lol if it's not really much of a difference I'll go fuel injected

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

It probably would be cheaper to just buy a GT but It's gonna be a father son project so it'd mean a lot more to us to build one together...

#13 · (Edited)
I saw a 99 5.0 on Craigslist during the summer. They showed no hood pics or explained any work done. I would dump the 7.5 rear and go with a 8.8 possibly with 4.10 gears. The choice is yours.
Here is hopefully everything you need to know for the swap ............http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/4361_v8_engine_swap/

#14 ·
a carb'd 5.0 definitely is the cheapest way to go for a V8 swap, Ford used them in everything. I got one for free from a totaled truck. It's just sitting in my garage though, I'm thinking i'd rather try and find a small european 2 seater to throw it in. That would be a fun car to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.