98 mustang only starts with starting fluid! its intermittent!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
98 mustang only starts with starting fluid! its intermittent!!

3.8 130k miles. Was running perfect until a very cold night (colder than normal) then in the morning it wouldn't start. Drove wife's car to work and on the way home bought some starting fluid. Sprayed starting fluid past the butterfly valve and it cranks easily first try. Then I run some errands and the car is running perfect, until my third stop (after the car has started by itself 2 times) it wont start again and I spray some more starting fluid and it starts and I drive home. Next day (today), wake up, car starts perfect first try. Getting off work and once again, no start. The battery isn't dead, the gas tank is full. Don't know where to begin troubleshooting, HELP!!
TreyDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Start at the fuel filter, check the air filter as well. Then see if you're getting the right amount of pressure to your injectors. You can take it to a shop, most places will put a scanner on it for free!
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I have a scanner--no codes. Your like the 3 person to tell me to start with the fuel filter, going to change that today plus I was told to put some HEET in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Seafome works the best

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Went with fuel filter and added HEET (seafoam was sold out) to full tank..everything seems to be running normal (for now lol) ill update if the problem returns....THANKS!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
don't use seafoam lol if you have an older car its going to **** it up. just like draining your tranny fluid bad idea. and just like changing from normal oil to synthetic... older cars like a 98 rely on all that build up crap to keep parts together. once you clean those parts. you start getting blow by, slipping gears. ect.
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
98 mustang only starts with starting fluid! its intermittent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
don't use seafoam lol if you have an older car its going to **** it up. just like draining your tranny fluid bad idea. and just like changing from normal oil to synthetic... older cars like a 98 rely on all that build up crap to keep parts together. once you clean those parts. you start getting blow by, slipping gears. ect.

Well, seafoam is a great cleaning product. Used it on my 99 explorer with 160,000 miles to clean intake, injectors, even crank case. Same with transmission fluid, it's true older umaintained cars can have issues if the gunk is cleaned out. We change transmission fluid every 50kmi after the first 100kmi or so, never had a fluid related problem. Also full synthetic keeps engines cleaner longer, I can't sit by and hear another piece of misinformation about synthetic oil. Changing your car over to synthetic will only help an engine, if it consumes more oil you may just want to find out why and fix it (most likely old seals or piston rings like my wife's VW). Don't ever use stop leak or similar products. Clean fluids are always a good decision, if the car exhibits problems after the new fluid you had that problem already. Lack of maintenance and ignorant don't fix what ain't broke attitudes are why people throw away perfectly good cars.

I'm not attacking anyone but proper maintenance is the only thing that'll keep a car on the road.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
^ oh I don't disagree at all. If you start out doing regular tranny fluid changes and using synthetic oil then good on you!... but if your car has never seen either then 16 years later is not a good time to start... you could start getting leaks, knocks, ticks, slippage... I agree if you start to then time for work but not everyone who puts some synthetic in is going to want to rebuild there engine a week after... and will then have to live with the ticking and knocking...
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I actually had this same problem a while back and started with changing the fuel filter. That fixed the problem for about a month or so. The bigger problem ended up being the fuel pump it was slowly dying. Some days it would start up and others I would have to spray starting fluid. Listen for your fuel pump before you start your car.
Unrivaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I have herd about Seafome going both ways. But it was mainly with older foreign cars.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Is seafoam the same as this?cuz this is what I use
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391282063.884868.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	146782

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Seafoam is it's own thing, sold at Walmart and auto stores around here. That Lucas is only for injectors.

Fuel pumps are a pain, had one go out on a BMW with no warning. Checking fuel rail pressure is a good place to start.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
^ oh I don't disagree at all. If you start out doing regular tranny fluid changes and using synthetic oil then good on you!... but if your car has never seen either then 16 years later is not a good time to start... you could start getting leaks, knocks, ticks, slippage... I agree if you start to then time for work but not everyone who puts some synthetic in is going to want to rebuild there engine a week after... and will then have to live with the ticking and knocking...

Ok, just see a lot of people getting misinformation on forums like this. I didn't have a lot of cash at 16 and would have been upset if cleaning my engine caused a $800 gasket replacement. Nice new edge btw!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang