Custom exhaust vs aftermarket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Custom exhaust vs aftermarket

Im looking at buying exhaust from AM ive done a cat back and I want to put headers and a H pipe on it. I have friends saying I should take it to an exhaust shop and have them just do a custom job. So is one better than another and if I should do the custom should I just have them use the cat back I am running now or just save the mufflers or scrap it all?

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
2000v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
You will not see a performance difference. You will see a price difference. Some exhaust shops charge more than others. Estimates are free.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6stang View Post
Im looking at buying exhaust from AM ive done a cat back and I want to put headers and a H pipe on it. I have friends saying I should take it to an exhaust shop and have them just do a custom job. So is one better than another and if I should do the custom should I just have them use the cat back I am running now or just save the mufflers or scrap it all?
2000v6stang,

There's really no need for a custom exhaust on your Mustang, IMO. The cost in labor for no noticeable gains over a kitted exhaust, is a lot of unnecessary money to spend. Personally, I would go with a Dual Exhaust Conversion kit and be done with it. This should take any exhaust shop less than 2 hours to install. Plus, if you're handy, you could then take on the project at not extra cost!

Did you want to go with a catted system or Off Road? I prefer high-flow cats, as you won't have to worry about passing emissions or inspection, but they also sound deeper on v6 models.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have the MAC duel exhaust on mine now but I want to put a new mid pipe one of the H pipes on AM and then do the MAC off road shorty H pipe with long tube headers. Would it be a half way good set up

Blacking it out, MAC duel exhaust, SR CAI, Performance Automatic shift kit. And a long build list wrecked in July '14
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6stang View Post
I have the MAC duel exhaust on mine now but I want to put a new mid pipe one of the H pipes on AM and then do the MAC off road shorty H pipe with long tube headers. Would it be a half way good set up
Could you clarify this a little more for me? Are you looking to pick up an Hpipe now, install it and have fun. Then down the road switch to LT headers and buy a new shorty Hpipe?

Your MAC dual exhaust is currently a Ypipe. You're looking for a true dual setup, right?

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think I am just going to buy the shorty H pipe and the long tube headers at the same time just have to save up longer. I have the cat back MAC duel exhaust conversion kit so its pretty much to y pipes put together so two pipes come out the back. Yes I want to make it true duel exhaust and hope to get better sound and maybe some HP and TQ.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I herd you do not want long tube headers if you are going to lower the car.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsmith View Post
I herd you do not want long tube headers if you are going to lower the car.

I've heard the same. Something about the pipes hitting the ground a lot and scraping badly if you do
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so what differences in performance would I see between long tubes and shortys? ive heard that shortys are more for turbo charged engines and don't give as good of HP and TQ gains. Correct me if im misinformed and let me know what you would recomend

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The reason shorties are used for turbo builds are because you can flip them around and use them in the hot side. Shorties you won't really get a performance gain but long tubes should give 5-10 rwhp. I would only do longtubes if you already have a shorty mid pipe and don't need to custom fab it.
Performance Red 2000 v6- m112 supercharger,42lb green top injectors, 310lph fuel pump, BBK shorty headers, True dual exhaust, strut tower brace, GT rear sway bar, Steeda triax short throw shifter, SR lowering springs, tinted headlights and foglights, polk audio speakers, MTX subwoofer, Kenwood head unit and black leather interior.
2000stanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if long tubes would bolt right up to what I have or not but if not I found a shorty H pipe I could put on and it would attach to that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust