Windstar intake swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Windstar intake swap

I found a couple 03 windstars in a local u pull junkyard is this the right year? My stang is a 2000. Can I use the Windstar fuel rail? And throttle body? What's the difference between the two throttle bodies? Can I put a bigger throttle body on the Windstar intake like the one from am? The intake on these 03's looks different from the one's in the picture these ones look similar to the intake on the gm's.
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravebowhunter View Post
I found a couple 03 windstars in a local u pull junkyard is this the right year? My stang is a 2000. Can I use the Windstar fuel rail? And throttle body? What's the difference between the two throttle bodies? Can I put a bigger throttle body on the Windstar intake like the one from am? The intake on these 03's looks different from the one's in the picture these ones look similar to the intake on the gm's.
I have a 4.2 intake and going to the Windstar for better results. The 4.2 is easier.
96-98 Windstar. I CAN get you one for $50 plus shipping. The 03 is single port. No you can not use the Windstar fuel rail because it has a return line and the Mustang does not. I looked into it because I like Windstar's fuel pressure regulator. The throttle body faces the opposite direction. I saw someone make it work with an additional throttle cable and connecting them together.
You can install a bigger throttle body. You need to remove the gasket on the Windstar throttle body and fill it in with JB Weld. After it dries connect the throttle spacer and drill out the excess material. If you mess any thing up don't worry JB Weld is your friend. You will need to make a cork gasket.
The thing I am worried about is the EGR delete. Will it need to be tuned due to lack of air flow OR WILL IT JUST RUN LEAN? If I port match and polish the upper half of the lower intake will this make up for lack of air? This is the most you can port without a tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_2014118.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	145032  

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Pics. 2 widen tb. You can use a 99-04 GT throttle body ,but the cable linkage needs some modification. To tell you the truth the extra 5 mm throttle body only responds at 3,500 + rpms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windstar.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	145034   Click image for larger version

Name:	windstar2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	145035  

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
99-03 windstars require you to swap lower intakes too for it to work, but require an extra 2" of hood clearance.

Stock sized throttle body is plenty enough until you get in the 400rwhp or larger range, even then the gain is very very minimal..

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
99-03 windstars require you to swap lower intakes too for it to work, but require an extra 2" of hood clearance.

Stock sized throttle body is plenty enough until you get in the 400rwhp or larger range, even then the gain is very very minimal..
DO you have to tune after a 96-98 Windstar because of the ERG delete? I like tunes when I want to go fast, but not as a daily driver. I don't personally like my daily driver tune. Soon I am going to cover up the EGR and try it with the 4.2 intake and the factory tune.
Wouldn't the 03 intake be facing backwards and you have to cut into the firewall?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I'll keep looking for a 96-98 Windstar. I like the way that intake looks too! It's a way nicer look on that engine!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to delete the egr, you just need to get windstar egr bracket to lower intake then modify your pipe to work. The tune just shuts off the cel, and when tuned right you shouldn't see any daily driving problems, I still get around 20mpg in my fun car that has a stalled auto!

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
You don't have to delete the egr, you just need to get windstar egr bracket to lower intake then modify your pipe to work. The tune just shuts off the cel, and when tuned right you shouldn't see any daily driving problems, I still get around 20mpg in my fun car that has a stalled auto!
Because I have the 4.2 intake it does not respond well at 1500 rmps in gear. I get way worse gas mileage but the standard shifts faster because of the tune pushes through rmps fast. With the stock tune in fifth gear it jerks, I guess, due to less air. A Windstar will fix this next month. Thanks for the EGR tip.
Quote:
Thanks guys I'll keep looking for a 96-98 Windstar. I like the way that intake looks too! It's a way nicer look on that engine!
Buy some Detail Doc. it will stop the intake from cracking in the future. It works better than any thing Mothers has.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I got a 98 4.2 and this is the type of intake the guy sold to me with it. Will that clear my stock hood??

Name:	jgstang-wk05-305.jpg
Views:	3720
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	145103
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That's the intake that's off the 03 windstars I've seen in the junkyard is that one good for the swap? Will it still give me the Hp and tq that the older 96-98 will?
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The newer one is suppose to flow better, but it's a good bit taller, stock hood NO!

blower/new cam soon
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the intake that's off the 03 windstars I've seen in the junkyard is that one good for the swap? Will it still give me the Hp and tq that the older 96-98 will?
Found it. He is not finished putting it on. A custom fuel rail with no room for the fuel pressure regulator and make your own throttle body spacer.
The 03 Windstar has the same factory tq. and hp. as the 98.I am not saying it is a worse intake. The runners look more efficient and similar to the new coyote set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	windstar3.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	145136   Click image for larger version

Name:	windstar4.jpg
Views:	1885
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	145137  

Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Custom fuel rails not required lol

blower/new cam soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang