Quiet squeak that's clutch related... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quiet squeak that's clutch related...

OK so here's what's going on...just bought the car 3 months ago, 98 mustang 3.8. i didn't notice it until about a month ago that there is a small, quiet squeak coming from under the car when at idle (i'm not sure if it squeaks when moving because of the exhaust noise)
i tried to search for the cause with no help until this morning, while sitting in my driveway talking on my phone, i placed my foot on the clutch, not enough to move it more than half an inch, just resting my foot on the clutch and the noise stops! i noticed it right away that the squeak was gone, so i moved my foot off the clutch, and it comes back and then rest my foot back on it and tada...no squeak. i'm just wondering/praying its not something inside my trans...anybody have a thoughts/suggestions???
TreyDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Region: Pennsylvania
My car does the exact same thing and i have no clue. If u find out please let me know

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mastza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastza View Post
My car does the exact same thing and i have no clue. If u find out please let me know

+1, I've got the same issue. A friend told me that it was a bearing located in the clutch that needed replaced, but I wouldn't even know where to begin

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t351203/

OfficialMakkyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Clutch kit...Pep boys, $360 includes labor.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDeluxe View Post
Clutch kit...Pep boys, $360 includes labor.
Thanks man

Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMakkyZ View Post
+1, I've got the same issue. A friend told me that it was a bearing located in the clutch that needed replaced, but I wouldn't even know where to begin
Pilot bearing. I replaced mine and it stopped for a lil but then started again so i dont think its that.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastza View Post
Pilot bearing. I replaced mine and it stopped for a lil but then started again so i dont think its that.

Crap. Hmm.. I really don't want to replace a three year old clutch -.-

Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #8

Yeah mines 2 years old

Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
My clutch is a little over a year old, and if we are talking about the same squeak I have it to. Very annoying.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Its your throw out bearing. It stops squeaking when to apply the slightest of pressure to it because it applies a load to the bearing. Replacing it will fix you squeak but if I was to replace it I would also go ahead and replace the clutch and pilot bearing to and have the fly wheel surfaced. You will be better off doing all of it at one time.

Good luck to all of you.
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Does the pilot bearing just dry up? I feel like if thats the case, they should make a tube to put oil down and fix the squeak without having to take everything apart lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sketchificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Its your throw out bearing. It stops squeaking when to apply the slightest of pressure to it because it applies a load to the bearing. Replacing it will fix you squeak but if I was to replace it I would also go ahead and replace the clutch and pilot bearing to and have the fly wheel surfaced. You will be better off doing all of it at one time.

Good luck to all of you.

Crap, I'm mechanically challenged, so I'll have to pay someone out the *** to do this. Ugh.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Crap, I'm mechanically challenged, so I'll have to pay someone out the *** to do this. Ugh.
Got a clutch kit plus installation at pep boys for $360.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDeluxe View Post
Got a clutch kit plus installation at pep boys for $360.

Thank you for this info. It's gonna suck that I'll have to do this, because the clutch and transmission were both replaced professionally rather recently. Will the clutch go out soon if I don't do this?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Thank you for this info. It's gonna suck that I'll have to do this, because the clutch and transmission were both replaced professionally rather recently. Will the clutch go out soon if I don't do this?
really yes and no it wont if its a little squeak, sometimes new piolt bearings squeak alittle, the bearing its self is metal and when you push in your clutch it makes contact with your metal pressure plate. but if your bearing is a very noticeable squeak, then you need to. its always better to be safe the sorry!!!

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

poilt bearing goes on the clutch fork and pushes in on the pressure plate to disengauge the clutch, it you can put your car in 5th gear going about 35 and your clucth dosnt slip then your clutch is fine, but if your changing your poilt bearing might as well get a new clutch, pressure plate, and resurface your flywheel if it needs it. its really not that hard to do. just recomend two peolple for the job.

job steps for clutch change.
1.disco. the batt.
2. Jack the car up put it on jack stands. always have a safty jack on!
3. put e-brake on and put the trans in gear. and remove bolts on yolk on drivesaft- you will have to take off e-brake and take it out of gear to rotate drive shaft to get to the other bolts- remove drive shaft. trans fluid will pour out the back of the trans thats normal just put a (CLEAN) rag in the hole.
4.go ahead and remove the starter disconect electrical harness, open up the clucth inspection cover and remove the clucth cable and clutch fork.
5. go inside the car and take of the shifter. take a flat head and a cloth to pop the plastic cover around your shifter move it out of the way theres 4 bolts that hold down the rubber boot under neath, then two bolts that connects the shifter to the shift linkage itself.
6.now put a jack on the trans itself (if you have a tranny jack awesome) and take the boltsoff the bell housing (if you have a t56 then it will be easier to take the trans off the bell housing first). also take the nuts off the cross beam that supports your trans.
7. drop the trans( pull backwards while rotating side to side) the trans isnt really that heavy on our cars but use the jack.
8. you will see your poilt bearing on the shaft of the trans go ahead and reaplace thatput some pet grease around it if you want helps keep dirt out(last little longer)
9.take the bolts off the pressure plate (you might need some one to wedge a flat head in between the flywheel to keep it from spining or hold the crank pulley) but back off the pressure plate bolts equally( it is under pressure)
10.pressure plate will come off along with the clutch. time to inspect the fly wheel for hot spots, if there is alot and are big might as well resurface it or get a new one.(its like $50 to resurface it at napa)
11. Put the clutch install tool on the clucth and put the clucth on the fly wheel,you will feel the install tool go in cause it acts like the shaft on the trans.( this tool makes sure your clutch is properly allighned when you put you pressure plate on)(and try not to touch the clutch pads, the oil on your fingers can the material to break down)
12. put the pressure plate back on and install the bolts like you would on a tire but equal turns all the way around untill the are all tight( so one turn on each bolt, then start back at the first one ect.) you will her a pop indicating it is done, then ensure bolts are tight one last time.
13.DONT FORGET to pull the clutch alighnment tool out. and ensure you changed your poilt bearing.
14.then do everything in reverse order/ put trans up, bolt it up, cross beam, starter, shifter, driveshaft. ect.

once you get into it its pretty easy, its a whole day project, also steps dont all have to be in that order, and sorry for spelling.
Polished heads, stock lower, 3.8 bottom end, Mac Pro Dumps, Mac O/R H-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xf3 (93 Ortizperformance tune), 03-04 Cobra tb, Lightning MAF, BBK CAI, Stage 2 water/meth kit, 310 LPH Fuel Pump, 39lbs blue top injectors, Mach 1 8.8 w/ 3.55's, steeda springs 1.5", Bilstien shocks/struts,Steeda Caster Camber Plates, M112 blower w/ 3.1 Pulley
h1ck55ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Some of you guys must have missed TheBandit's post...

IT'S THE THROW OUT BEARING!!!!!

Mine does the same thing and my clutch has less than 30k miles on it.
It's just a tiny squeak that goes away once, both, the engine and transmission are at operating temperature.
I'm leaving mine alone until it gets so bad that i cant stand it anymore OR until the clutch needs to be replaced, and that seems to be the common practice with these cars.
It won't hurt your clutch. It's more annoying than anything and that bearing will let you know when it's time to be replaced.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

IT'S THE THROW OUT BEARING!!!!!
we all know that it was, people are asking other questions.

Quote:

It won't hurt your clutch. It's more annoying than anything and that bearing will let you know when it's time to be replaced.
Or when it starts to do this

then this
Polished heads, stock lower, 3.8 bottom end, Mac Pro Dumps, Mac O/R H-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xf3 (93 Ortizperformance tune), 03-04 Cobra tb, Lightning MAF, BBK CAI, Stage 2 water/meth kit, 310 LPH Fuel Pump, 39lbs blue top injectors, Mach 1 8.8 w/ 3.55's, steeda springs 1.5", Bilstien shocks/struts,Steeda Caster Camber Plates, M112 blower w/ 3.1 Pulley
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

lets hope you catch it be for it dose the to the shaft

Alittle Squeak they said, it will be fine they said!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Haha.

That's when it gets really noisy!
There's plenty of warning before it gets to that point... Usually.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha.

That's when it gets really noisy!
There's plenty of warning before it gets to that point... Usually.
sometimes, thats why they they have an inspection port where your cable and fork are.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ck55ter View Post
sometimes, thats why they they have an inspection port where your cable and fork are.
Yeah, most people would also feel something different when they're pressing on the clutch pedal, it might start to feel... well...Gritty!

Lol.
Hey FA?
I just found a good use for the word!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info guys! You're all awesome!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys! You're all awesome!
No, stop it! Your the Awesome!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, most people would also feel something different when they're pressing on the clutch pedal, it might start to feel... well...Gritty!

Lol.
Hey FA?
I just found a good use for the word!
I'm pretty sure your not surprised to the amount of stupidity of some peole. cause people be like "its only a little squeak" then tire falls off when the get out of the car , but the amount of work i do on other cars from what the owner explains to me, and whats actually the sound, looks, feels of it really is, or the condition of the part they are trying to tell me is good......yea! Like the pictures above i seen a few like this and they said it was fine the other day.....huhhhh!!? yep people. sigh....
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Oh man. These pictures got me wondering what my clutch looks like on my miata.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sketchificus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ck55ter View Post
I'm pretty sure your not surprised to the amount of stupidity of some peole. cause people be like "its only a little squeak" then tire falls off when the get out of the car , but the amount of work i do on other cars from what the owner explains to me, and whats actually the sound, looks, feels of it really is, or the condition of the part they are trying to tell me is good......yea! Like the pictures above i seen a few like this and they said it was fine the other day.....huhhhh!!? yep people. sigh....
Haha.
I hear you! Although, I don't think that it's necessarily "stupidity" as much as, people just have different interests and excel at different things.
This is a good example of one of the many "perils" of owning an automobile. The 100% safe thing to do when you hear a strange noise is to find out what's causing it and fix it. In THIS case, it requires, basically, the same labor as doing a clutch replacement. A squeaky throw out bearing may or may not last the entire life of the clutch.
It's DEFINITELY not a sure thing...
The key, to this particular situation, is the ability to recognize when the squeak goes from mere annoyance to something that needs to be addressed immediately.
As you pointed out, everyone is not going to have that skill...

As I said before, my clutch is still good and the TB bearing makes what I feel is a normal noise... PRESENTLY. Like others on this thread, it would be a shame to have to pull the transmission to replace something that you know is fairly new. And when I do it, it will for sure be getting a new clutch, in the hope of not having to do it again for a while.

I forgot to mention, there is a mod that can be done to quiet the TB bearing. You guys will have to search for it though. I believe that it was Azure who was a proponent of doing it...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
For reference for some that are new to this whole clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing thing.

This can give you an Idea of where each one is located at.

Pilot bearing located in the back of crankshaft.
Throw out bearing on the front bearing retainer attached to the clutch fork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot bearing..jpeg
Views:	1981
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	151338   Click image for larger version

Name:	throw out bearing.JPG
Views:	1849
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	151339  

TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

haha i forgot to mention in my list of steps to change the throwout bearing. woops, deff. don't forget to do that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang