Uncontrollable Car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Uncontrollable Car?

Hello,

I recently just picked up a 2003 Mustang Convertible from the Dealer for a decent price. I will be using the car during the summer season.

The back tires are different from the front because the dealer replaced them but didn't want to use the same model as the front.

Yesterday, I was driving down the highway and could feel the car going to the left or right and I would always make adjustment. I feel like the car is very unsafe and I fear on the driving this car. I can feel every bump on the road and because of this the wheel would turn itself.

I also currently own a 08 Honda Accord V6 & 01 BMW 540i and it doesn't handle like this. Does the wheels need re-balancing? more air/ Please help me out, I would like to solve this issue before the Summer Season starts.

Thank you
timem604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Take it to a shop or the dealer and have the tires re-balanced, it sounds like that may be the problem.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timem604 View Post
Hello, I recently just picked up a 2003 Mustang Convertible from the Dealer for a decent price. I will be using the car during the summer season. The back tires are different from the front because the dealer replaced them but didn't want to use the same model as the front. Yesterday, I was driving down the highway and could feel the car going to the left or right and I would always make adjustment. I feel like the car is very unsafe and I fear on the driving this car. I can feel every bump on the road and because of this the wheel would turn itself. I also currently own a 08 Honda Accord V6 & 01 BMW 540i and it doesn't handle like this. Does the wheels need re-balancing? more air/ Please help me out, I would like to solve this issue before the Summer Season starts. Thank you
Sounds like it could be a variety of things. From a bad tie rod to unevenly pressurized tires/lost rim weights. The first thing I would do is ensure all 4 tires are at good pressure. Check your manual and inflate them. I believe it's 36-38 psi all around . Next thing would be to take note of any noises the car may make and what hand turns are more sensitive. This will be important to report to your mechanic. I've had wheel hub bearings do this too, but it usually affects turns on the side of the busted bearing and it is usually accompanied by a grinding noise. Also, simply lifting the car and trying to hand turn the wheel would easily confirm if the bearing is at the center of this problem. If it is, the wheel will offer a lot of resistance while trying to turn it. Anyways, the best advice is to take it to a garage
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by timem604 View Post
Hello,

I recently just picked up a 2003 Mustang Convertible from the Dealer for a decent price. I will be using the car during the summer season.

The back tires are different from the front because the dealer replaced them but didn't want to use the same model as the front.

Yesterday, I was driving down the highway and could feel the car going to the left or right and I would always make adjustment. I feel like the car is very unsafe and I fear on the driving this car. I can feel every bump on the road and because of this the wheel would turn itself.

I also currently own a 08 Honda Accord V6 & 01 BMW 540i and it doesn't handle like this. Does the wheels need re-balancing? more air/ Please help me out, I would like to solve this issue before the Summer Season starts.

Thank you
If you feel mechaniclly inclined put your car up in the air on jack stands. Then try and wiggle the wheel from the top and bottom in and out and side to side like your trying to make the wheel turn. If the wheel wobboles or has in and out play your wheel bearing may be bad on that wheel or an inner or outer tie rod end may need to be replaced. All older mustangs especially with high miles have a little play in the steering because it comes with big wide tires and turning them at a stand still wears out your steering rack over time. I have a feeling the mixed tires play no role in your problem unless there bald or low on pressure because I have cheap tires on the back of my stang and expensive cooper's in the front and mines fine. If a wheel is out of balance it will be be obvious because it will thump and viabrate the car at high speeds. If you don't feel comfortable take it to ford and have them look at it. Good luck!
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Hello Everyone,

I still have no solved the problem. Well, honestly I haven't done anything to it yet due to the harsh canadian winter. I don't drive the car anymore, but my wife still drives the car when it's sunny.

One thing I forgot to notice is that when I bought the car from the dealer, the steering wheel wasn't centered. It would look like the steering wheel is turning left, but the tires are pointing straight.

Would tie rod be the problem? I'd like to keep my wife safe when she drives the car.
timem604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Most car garages that do alignments SHOULD check your front end for n/c. While they are at it, they can check your tires....ALignment is what u need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang