What can I do with 2.5 grand - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
What can I do with 2.5 grand

1999 v6 mustang
So far I have full custom made high flow exhaust but headers are still stock
Sr Cold air intake
Ngk plugs
Msd wires
Bama 93 octane race tune

I'm taking my car to the garage and I have 2500$ what do you guys suggest I do for the most bang for buck? I know I want 4.10s bad
But what else?
I was considering larger throttle body
Larger intake plenum and upper intake an lower intake with long tube headers
For a full intake and exhaust setup?
Dvest1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
^^i would say get the gears, but upgrading the tb and intake etc... I would pass on that. What kind of rims do you have now? How is the exterior and interior of the car looking?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Get a Cobra racing hood off Ebay for$400 and get it painted.
Go to a local junk yard and but a 4.2 upper intake for $100.
Go to Ebay and buy a 99 F-150 cold air intake $50.
Go to Ebay and buy a 99 3.8 Mustang throttle body spacer $65.
Get it installed at the shop they will need to extend some wires and add some vacuum lines.
You will add 7 hp and 35 tq before tuned. My tune added 15 hp.
To add the 70 mm bigger throttle body the intake has to be ported and polished. The minimal gain is not worth the price.
Some people recommend the Windstar. A mechanic shop will charge you more because the parts have to be fabricated and a lot more goes into the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_2014211 (3).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	147629  

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you can find the parts for a good deal I say m112 supercharge it
Codyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Get the 4.10 gears, a windstar upper intake, and a regrind cam from Ortiz Performance! Your car will accelerate 100% different, you'll gain 20+ horsepower and the gears will multiply that
ProjectTurboV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvest1995 View Post
1999 v6 mustang
Sr Cold air intake
Ngk plugs
Msd wires
Bama 93 octane race tune

I'm taking my car to the garage and I have 2500$ what do you guys suggest I do for the most bang for buck? I know I want 4.10s bad
But what else?
Dvest,

It sounds like you have a great list of mods so far! Post up some pictures of your Mustang we would love to check it out. How are you enjoying the SR Performance cold air so far?

Your head is definitely in the right place. I would recommend going with a set of 4.10 or 3.73 Gears and Long tube headers. These are going to be the most beneficial mods you can do for your Sixxer besides the custom tune that you already have from Bama Performance! A larger throttle body and upper/lower intakes aren't a bad idea either. These will definitely help your V6 breathe and are great mods!

I wouldn't forget about Suspension either. Lowering springs, control arms, sway bars etc.. are some of the best mods you can do for your Mustang. You won't be able to put down any of that added power with traction issues! It really depends on what your goals are for the car. If you just plan to daily drive it then you probably don't need to do all the Suspension mods. However, if you take the car to the track or like to tear up back roads, then you're definitely going to want to upgrade your suspension components!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! You can also reach out to my CS team directly. They can be reached at the contact information in my signature below!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Not being a v8 elitist but you could sell your car and use the 2.5k to buy a new edge gt/ bullitt or a sN-95 cobra but if your set on keeping the v6 I'd piece together a supercharger kit
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I'd piece together an m112 kit as previously stated
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

got a tmaturbo kit for ya, all new
Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Dvest1995;1946319]

I'm taking my car to the garage and I have 2500$ what do you guys suggest I do for the most bang for buck? [QUOTE]
You have options. What do you want to do?

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Most importantly do a 31 spline conversion:
Ford racing Drive shaft
Ford racing Posi Trac Lok
Ford racing gears, 3:73 or 4:10
Are both good.
Moser axles

That's the best bang for your buck

Sent from my VS840 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
94 GT 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0 View Post
Most importantly do a 31 spline conversion:
Ford racing Drive shaft
Ford racing Posi Trac Lok
Ford racing gears, 3:73 or 4:10
Are both good.
Moser axles

That's the best bang for your buck

he does not need 31 spline axles/locker. dk what you are talking about. an 8.8 with a gear will do just fine.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Obviously you do if you mentioned what I was talking about. Anyway..

If you are already going from a 7.5" to an 8.8" differential then do yourself a huge favor, save money and go 31 spline. They're a lot stronger and can handle a lot more pounding especially from a heavily or mildly modded pony.
Also please go for the POSI, doing so means both wheels will spin the same direction at once. Those one wheel burnouts look funny in my opinion. Moser axles are a must if you go 31 spline they are really strong. I did a 31 spline conversion on my 96 v6 and on my 97 cobra. Don't have any regrets or issues on either of them.

Just FYI they don't add any HP, maybe a little torque. But they go along perfectly with bigger gears to improve throttle and acceleration response by A LOT. Also you will be very very satisfied seeing 2 long even tire marks on the street after a good burn out.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 GT 5.0 View Post
Obviously you do if you mentioned what I was talking about. Anyway..

If you are already going from a 7.5" to an 8.8" differential then do yourself a huge favor, save money and go 31 spline. They're a lot stronger and can handle a lot more pounding especially from a heavily or mildly modded pony.
Also please go for the POSI, doing so means both wheels will spin the same direction at once. Those one wheel burnouts look funny in my opinion. Moser axles are a must if you go 31 spline they are really strong. I did a 31 spline conversion on my 96 v6 and on my 97 cobra. Don't have any regrets or issues on either of them.

Just FYI they don't add any HP, maybe a little torque. But they go along perfectly with bigger gears to improve throttle and acceleration response by A LOT. Also you will be very very satisfied seeing 2 long even tire marks on the street after a good burn out.

unless he plans to drop the clutch at 5k rpm and dead hook with some decent power, there is no need. if he has an auto, all he needs is a stock 8.8 and change the gears if wanted. ive ran in the 7's in the 1/8th mile with a stock 8.8 with 3.55 gears. he will be fine.

another item you could do is a torque converter.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
T
pypes x w/flow 40's, SR CAI, plasti dipped (emblems, stripe, rear decklid, rear valance, cowl vent grille, fuel door, antenna holder), shorty antenna, mach 1 chin spoiler, custom interior trim, blue LED interior lights, more to come later
Mustang81596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thumbs up Don't Spend Money on a 1999 Clunker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvest1995 View Post
1999 v6 mustang
Sr Cold air intake
Ngk plugs
Msd wires
Bama 93 octane race tune

But what else?
Instead of spending money on a car that's 14-15 years old, send the money to me and I can put some New Rims and Tires on my much Newer 2013.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Instead of spending money on a car that's 14-15 years old, send the money to me.
You beat me to it, HAHA
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I know where you can get a stroker with bv heads and a cam. But it is 2700+ shipping+ tuner.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectTurboV6 View Post
Get the 4.10 gears, a windstar upper intake, and a regrind cam from Ortiz Performance! Your car will accelerate 100% different, you'll gain 20+ horsepower and the gears will multiply that
This^

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Building power doesn't make sense with just 2500$ but you could go a long ways with suspension and differential upgrades and chassis stiffening. Leave the power for when you have enough to build your motor and go forced induction or do a v8 swap of some kind.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Building power doesn't make sense with just 2500$ but you could go a long ways with suspension and differential upgrades and chassis stiffening. Leave the power for when you have enough to build your motor and go forced induction or do a v8 swap of some kind.

+96937

This is exactly how I would go about it. Do gears then dump all the left over money in suspension and chassis. Unless you put SERIOUS money in that little sixxer you won't be too fast. Might as well make it handle like a monster since that's attainable.

Like I said.. That's just the way I would go if I had a sixxer and was going to keep it. But let's be honest.. If I had a sixxer it would be temporary and I would make it look decent then soon sell it off and buy a mint V8 for not much more and mod that. That's me though. I got love for the sixxers and have seen pretty amazing builds with them.. It's just not for me. I love my GT.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
***best idea so far: send it to me
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You can make 300rwhp+ easily with 2500, used procharger kits go for less than 2K all the time, he already has a tuner so getting a good tune from a reputable place (aside from bama lol) is less than $200 then he can get injectors from a cobra for $100-120 which will support him and a pump, well a svt focus pump is normally less than $100, another good one is the Lincoln aviator pump (rated at 310lph, flows 270lph) also cost less than $100..

Next, waiting for the "300rwhp isn't fast" comment

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
You can make 300rwhp+ easily with 2500, used procharger kits go for less than 2K all the time, he already has a tuner so getting a good tune from a reputable place (aside from bama lol) is less than $200 then he can get injectors from a cobra for $100-120 which will support him and a pump, well a svt focus pump is normally less than $100, another good one is the Lincoln aviator pump (rated at 310lph, flows 270lph) also cost less than $100..

Next, waiting for the "300rwhp isn't fast" comment

300rwhp ISNT FAST!!!

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

^^LOL
The more I think about this the less sense it makes to build up a sixxer.
With 2500 on engine mods you will get close to 300 like David said. I suggest you sell it and buy a 96-98 cobra, which are rated at 305 stock. Then put those 2500 on it and boom! You will get atleast to 400-450.
I went with stiffening suspension and chassis first, moved up to drivetrain now I'm working on the engine. No regrets what so ever.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

if you can sell a V6 and buy a cobra for the same price, you are either very lucky or found one that's about to blow up lol it'll take at least that extra 2500 to be able to get a cobra

blower/new cam soon
Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Depends how many miles on his sixxer. I traded my 94 GT for a 97 cobra. With only 2k more miles then my GT only thing wrong with her was the paint. I'm talking about 96-98 not newer. He just has to make sure it's not some random teen from the hood

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang