60,000 mile check up - anything special I should have them look at? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
60,000 mile check up - anything special I should have them look at?

Hi all,

I am new here and need advice on what to do for a 10 year old car that is coming up on 60,000 miles. I assume the regular 60,000 recommended scheduled maintenance is not going to be good enough because of the age of the car. 2004 Mustang convertible V6 3.9L EFI Automatic.

My first question is what fluids to flush out rather than top off. My second is hoses, gaskets, seals and belts. My third is fuel system, filter and "stuff", then finally alternator or generator (I don't know what I have, but I have never had a car where it didn't need replacing, LOL!) Oh, and cabin air filters - didn't even know I had one, but I've seen it listed a lot of places.

I've religiously had the oil and oil filters changed and also the battery. I got new brakes last May (and new rotors because I never understood the squeak I'm supposed to hear when the brakes are going). I'm getting new tires tomorrow. Next week is the 60,000 check up, and I'm unsure where to put my money.

Thanks for any comments or advice on this one!

Suzy

P.S. On
2004 Mustang convertible V6 3.9L EFI Automatic, what does EFI stand for?
Limequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I would recommend flushing coolant and trans fluid. Change fuel filter and inspect all hoses and vacuum lines for cracks.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would also recommend plugs and wires. Our years do not have a cabin air filter. The blend door opens and dirty air comes in. LOL My alternator made 150,000 mile. If it not broke, don't fix it.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sounds like a nice, low mileage car. The only thing that I'd add to the advice you've recieved above is maybe flush the power steering fluid as well.

What does EFI stand for you ask? Well, it means Exceptionally Fine Investment... like every Ford ever built.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Excellent, thank you so much for the swift and thoughtful replies! Many thanks Lowflyn, StrayBullit and Sam'l Smith! Because the advice came in so quickly, I was able to make an appointment for tomorrow!

If there is any more advice out there, I am happy to add on to my list; I probably have until noon tomorrow (Friday) for additions.

Regards,
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Forgot about plugs and wires, good call.

Btw. Efi is electronic fuel injection.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

How's this look?

Flush coolant, power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid. Check the others and top them off.

Change fuel filter and inspect all hoses and vacuum lines for cracks.

Change spark plugs and inspect wires.

From Ford manual: Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage, ball joints, suspension joints, half + drive shafts, and u-joints.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I suppose that we'd be remiss by not including the rear differential oil change to the list as well.
This looks pretty complete to me.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Good Deal! I just dropped it off but I'll add the rear differential oil change to the list when they call with the quote. I am happy to pay for all this - I just hope there isn't a surprise in the transmission or engine or well, some other expensive part.

I talked to a detailer about sprucing up my wheels today - the silver part that shows. He said my brake dust has pitted and corroded them. I didn't want to ask a bunch of questions because there were a couple people behind me waiting for their turn, but off the cuff, on a car I want to keep and spiff up, do you think that means new wheels or does that mean new wheel covers or does that mean 0000 steel wool and a buff job? If I take steel wool to it myself, am I asking for trouble? And what are they called if I go looking on Ebay or do a Google search? I think the two rear are bad and the two front are ok. I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You are doing the best thing possible to avoid any unpleasant mechanical surprises by properly maintaining your car.
As far as any advice regarding cleaning up your wheels, you really need to post some pics so we can see what they look like.
Sometimes its cheaper and easier to get new rims and tires. Websites like American Muscle and Late Model Restoration usually have great deals on tire and wheel packages.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #11

Dang! I had no idea the two were connected that closely. I am getting new tires tomorrow if my flushes and fills get done early enough, or Saturday if it takes all day. Not only do I need new tires, I also am asking the tire company to bring in two tires to match the existing semi-new ones I have, so I really can't cancel my order. When I get my car back, I'll take pics and hopefully they are salvageable.

Thanks, though, because I dint even know they were wheels!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #12

Regarding the new wheels - I have 15s! I thought my tires/wheels were well proportioned to the vehicle and was dumbfounded when I went to American Muscle to see they only offered sizes like 18, 19 and 20! No pics of mine until Monday because my car is still at the mechanics, but I wondered if anybody could please post pics of 17s, 18s and 19s (or links) so I could see what the bigger tires/wheels look like?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The Bullet rims are the most popular. The ones on my car are Cobra replicas. I would not recommend nothing bigger than a 18" rim. The tires get smaller and you will feel every bump in the road. I would get 9" wide rims and tires for the front and 10 1/2" tires/rims for the rear. The 10 1/2 " tires and rims stick out a little and look better. Plus the wider rims will help the car handle better. Because tires grip best when their load is distributed over a large area. The larger the contact patch your tire has with the ground, the better

Also a thought is ceramic brake pads for the front of the car. You can only find them for the front of the car. 80% of the stopping power is done by the front of the car. Ceramic brake pads make about 80% less dust on your rims. You would only need to wash your rims every other month.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #14

Sam'l, Thanks! I finally got my car back and inspected the rims, which are not bad at all, and found all the damage was done by those banger weights they put on around the very outside edge of the rim. A friend told me to only let them put the weights on the INSIDE, so now I know that (10 years too late, LOL). I also found out I have the 16" wheels, which while not ideal by a long shot is way better than 15" wheels, so I am not getting new wheels.

Anybody reading this who flushes and changes your own fluid - if I showed you my bill or the fills and flushes, you'd laugh your heads off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang