Freaking out - Spider Gear problems! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Region: New Jersey
Exclamation Freaking out - Spider Gear problems!

Ok, try to make this quick. Problem with the car, brought to the mechanic. He attempted to drive it and knew what problem was right away. The spider gears in the rear-end went.

The mechanic then orders replacement spider gears from Ford, however, they don't fit. He calls me and tells me that I have two options: 1 - to replace the entire rear end of the car with a used one from another car, which will cost around $600 (plus labor) or 2 - he can replace the 3.73 gears and change everything over to stock, which will cost about the same as option 1. I'm freaking out at this point. My mechanic says because he doesn't know the make of the 7.5" LSD that he doesn't know where to get the spider gears from.

So, I contact the person I purchased the car from and he informs me that he put in a 7.5" LSD from Ford Racing. I contact Ford Racing and, they don't make spider gears for 02's anymore, it's not offered in their catalog or online. However, the guy from Ford Racing said that I can replace the inside of the LSD and should be able to get the parts from a local auto store for about $200. I contacted the local auto parts store and the person I spoke to confirmed it and said that I could actually upgrade the inside of the LSD from 3.73 gears to 410 gears for around $190.

Now, my questions are: the inside of the LSD includes the ring & pinion but, does it also include the spider gears and whatever else is needed to fix the problem? AND, this fix is possible right, what I'm being told is true, that I can replace the inside of the LSD? AND also, shouldn't my mechanic have suggested this once he found out the the LSD was from Ford Racing and spider gears aren't available?

Sorry for all the questions, but, I'm at my wits end. I need my car for work and it's costing me money everyday that it's not running.

Oh and BTW my name is Alleen. Lucille is my car's name!

Thanks for any help/answers I really appreciate it!

Lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Personally I'd swap to a GT Rear. You could probably find one for 150 if you're lucky. Install is simple. Bolts directly on.

Sent from my Pager

JimmyMosqueda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Mississippi
A Gt rear would be your best bet and probably the same price. You would need a tune to fix your speedometer.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
The locker has nothing to do with the ring and pinion...

Sent from my massive johnson.
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: California
I agree with the gt rear, the 8.8 is a much stronger rear-end with parts readily available. What's even better is a 8.8 is a direct bolt in. No modification needed it could be done in a few hours if you do the work yourself.
lemons95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang