Crazy plan for dual exhaust. THOUGHTS?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wallingford
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 14
Crazy plan for dual exhaust. THOUGHTS??

Alright, before I begin let me set the background. I have a 2004 v6 Mustang. IMPORTANT NOTE: I lowered the car by cutting springs (probably sits 1.5 in lower? never measured.)

Anyway, the goal/mission: To convert my single exhaust mustang to an Pacesetter h-pipe dual exhaust set up with Flowmaster Super 44s for AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. This is where I need the help from MustangEvolution. Review these possible routes I can take and reply with thoughts/concerns or other routes I didnt think of....

Also, I am a teen driver and by no means mechanically knowledgable in the field but have done extensive research on nearly everything I mention. I have cute springs, replaced shocks and done a CAI myself with a bunch of appearance mods etc.

Route 1.) A local exhaust shop said they would do what I want for about $350 *IF* I purchase the mufflers myself. 350+160(Flowmaster mufflers)= $510 total. (The shop said that if I buy the H-pipe he could take off maybe $100). So between $510-555

Route 2.) In an attempt to save money on the cost of labor... cutting the y-pipe myself, installing the h-pipe myself and driving to the exhaust shop to have them finish the job (welding mufflers and the rest etc). I also would encounter issues getting to the exhaust shop because I would be driving without mufflers or any pipes at all (dangerous? Loud? legal issues?)
$160 for mufflers + $145 for H-pipe + ???? for labor.

Things to consider: How can I reduce bottom line costs? Should I have the shop custom fab an H-pipe? Would that reduce or increase labor/bottomline costs? Should I do it myself? Is there something I haven't thought about?

Edit: Keep in mind any clearance issues I might have due to lowering the car.
zachsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
samuelsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gulfport
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,234
The v-6 Mustang is not that loud. Do not remove headers and drive. You chance burning up a valve. Before I got a Pypes duel exhaust the previous owner welded a pipe into the y to have duel exhaust. Just another idea.

The exhaust sounded good. Eventually the cats went bad and I replaced everything.
__________________

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Buy an offroad h-pipe from Jegs and a pair of flow tubes(pipe in front of the muffler) you can try and craigslist/junkyard some gt tailpipes or you can by a pair of 87-93gt tailpipes and they will turndown right at the back bumper. I would avoid welding the exhaust where it's not removeable if needed. A friend of mine did the muffler shop duels and ended up ripping it out on the first transmission removal. He went back with after market exhaust. I used the thrush welded mufflers on my 98v6 they look identical to the flowmasters just not as loud and are about $35 each.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wallingford
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 14
Thank you very much for the help, definitely got me thinking!
zachsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wallingford
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Buy an offroad h-pipe from Jegs and a pair of flow tubes(pipe in front of the muffler) you can try and craigslist/junkyard some gt tailpipes or you can by a pair of 87-93gt tailpipes and they will turndown right at the back bumper. I would avoid welding the exhaust where it's not removeable if needed. A friend of mine did the muffler shop duels and ended up ripping it out on the first transmission removal. He went back with after market exhaust. I used the thrush welded mufflers on my 98v6 they look identical to the flowmasters just not as loud and are about $35 each.
I have one more question in regards to your 87-93 GT comment.

Would I be able to purchase the American Thunder Catback exhaust for 87-93 GTs (Flowmaster American Thunder Mustang Catback Exhaust System 17116 (87-93 GT) - Free Shipping) and install it on my 99-04? Im only asking because this catback includes the super 44s, while the 99-04 American thunder does not... Any thoughts on doing that? what kind of fab would be required?
zachsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
black04v6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Florida
Region: Florida
Posts: 11
Don't get the pacesetter headers. They are a pain in the as to install. If you have a shop do it labor will be high. If you do it yourself you'll need to lift the engine up. BBK makes headers that fit better. Just a tip as I have pacesetters and it took a long time to put in.
black04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wallingford
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by black04v6 View Post
Don't get the pacesetter headers. They are a pain in the as to install. If you have a shop do it labor will be high. If you do it yourself you'll need to lift the engine up. BBK makes headers that fit better. Just a tip as I have pacesetters and it took a long time to put in.
Pacesetter headers and headers in general weren't mentioned in this thread. Only the pacesetter h pipe adapter
zachsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsola View Post
I have one more question in regards to your 87-93 GT comment.

Would I be able to purchase the American Thunder Catback exhaust for 87-93 GTs (Flowmaster American Thunder Mustang Catback Exhaust System 17116 (87-93 GT) - Free Shipping) and install it on my 99-04? Im only asking because this catback includes the super 44s, while the 99-04 American thunder does not... Any thoughts on doing that? what kind of fab would be required?
It will work but you will need to change the exhaust hangers. You can use hangers from 86gt to 97gt.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What mods can get 350+hp? Johnstonb93 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 101 11-06-2017 12:25 PM
Myths about "back-pressure" Eturner General Mustang Discussion 45 09-08-2016 02:31 PM
Exhaust: Pro Dumps Mdavis1024 1979-1995 Mustang GT 6 01-15-2012 08:50 AM
Good Information Thread. ESG642T Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 01-13-2012 09:00 AM
3.8 Dual Exhaust ssaleen1981 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 27 12-18-2011 07:43 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:48 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.